Hey all! I just got a microphone, and I tried my hand at making a recording. It's not the best quality, and you kinda have to crank the speakers to hear it, it's not that loud

Also of note, around 1:47 my guitar lost all volume for like ten seconds o.o It scared me, but I got it working and went right back into it. You can also kinda hear my little brother in the background as you can tell it's not exactly a professional recording.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone could critique my style or my playing, or even give me any advice. I'd appreciate it, as this is the first time I've really ever sat down and made a recording. Thanks in advance!
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Line6 AX2 212 combo modeling amplifier
Hi there:
Not bad at all. I would turn down the distortion and get a more natural tone, just listen to a few blues recording. Also there was some noise here and there (not to mention the clapping at the end ... girlfriend?). I would also learn a few more licks and make a plan about what to play and when to play it.
Great job man!
Cheers.
Thanks for the review, man. I just use the metal tone cause it picks up my tapping sections better, and gives me longer sustain. I played it on clean, but the guitar I'm using currently (the schecter) doesn't have very good cleans in my opinion.

Like I said, though, it's not a professional recording. The clapping was actually my brother XD (he plays Madden '08 like, nonstop, and gets really into it). Earlier in the recording he makes a weird ooooo noise, too. I think he's mentally challenged XD

I'll try and work on the planning. Basically I just play minor pentatonics with some blue notes added in, and noodle around without any sense of licks. Can you point me to somewhere where I could learn some riffs? I'd appreciate it.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Learn a few covers of your favorite blues player. You will start using licks from those songs without knowing. B.B. King, Eric Clapton, SRV, etc. If you look under Blues on UG forum you will also find more suggestions; there are even a few tabs full of blues licks in the tab section.
That's the thing: I generally don't play the blues

I like it fine, but I'm just now getting into it. I know some songs by famous blues artists, but generally only the popular ones (The thrill is gone, Crossroads, Cocaine, Texas Flood and Pride And Joy are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.) Any songs you recommend I look into? The blues is such a deep-set genre it's hard to just dive in.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
Those are all great songs. Just pick one, you have to start somewhere....

Blues is great, it is not difficult and you can learn a lot from it, rhythm, improvising etc
Alrighty, I'll look into it thanks for the help, man. I'll show it to my guitar teacher and see what he thinks, too. He's got a big blues influence, too.
My Gear
Ibanez RG7321
Ibanez RG520QS
'78 Ibanez Les Paul copy
Fender Telecaster
Vantage Semihollow
where's the link?
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."
-Albert Einstein
Awesome job. Yeah, definitely get a good blues guitar if you're gonna get into playing blues quite a bit. Or just use the telecaster your dad got you. It would sound a lot better through a clean tone or with a little dirty tone.

If you could Critique mine, that'd be cool.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Last edited by IMABBALLPLAYER at Feb 4, 2008,