I've done a lot of searching around the net. I'm currently playing my guitar through my Dads's very old GK bass amp so I desperately need a replacement. I'm still a begginer to guitar, but I love metal and I'm assuming I'll eventually start playing it. I just want something I'll be happy with when I get to that point. I looked at some of the Marshall MG series amps that are under 200$ and a Randall RX20D that's like 180$, are either of these a good choice for what I'm looking for? If not, I'd greatly appreciate some other suggestions. My max price is probably like 250$ but I could possibly go higher. Thanks guys.
Best practice amp for metal? Line 6 Spider III or a Vox AD30VT-XL.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Hmmm, I've heard nothing good about the Line 6 spider. But I'll look into both of those.
Quote by Dethkreep
Hmmm, I've heard nothing good about the Line 6 spider. But I'll look into both of those.

They're pretty killer as a practice amp. I'd never use one live and people usually bash it for those kind of situations.

Quote by stangconv
Roland Cube series...
FTW

Get the microcube... its small and a perfect bedroom amp... and is only half your budget.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

Does metal like a champ!

Forgot about that one! Yeah, the Cube amps are great for metal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Search have this thing called a 'bar'. Seriously, I bought my search bar a few years ago, and I've never looked back. It's just THAT good.
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
I'll be playing Melodic Death metal, but also the occasional normal death metal. And viking metal stuff, but the melodic death tone is suitable for that kind of stuff.
Thanks you guys a lot, Most of you helped me alot.
Ibanez TBX series

check em out on their page, they have sound samples
Last edited by JAS1121 at Feb 3, 2008,
I don't really think all the Spider series hate is justified. I have a III 30 watt, and it sounds great. Given I wouldn't use it as anything other then a practice amp, but it still sounds great considering how cheap they are.
Don't flame me, but how about getting a BOSS GT-10? It's a bit outside your range (around $500) but man that thing is a beauty. And it is so versatile that you can play anything you want on it.... I wish a had the money to buy one myself...
Quote by metallhead
Don't flame me, but how about getting a BOSS GT-10? It's a bit outside your range (around $500) but man that thing is a beauty. And it is so versatile that you can play anything you want on it.... I wish a had the money to buy one myself...

No thanks for the suggestion man, My dad actually suggested the possibility of going in half and half with me on a new amp since he still plays. I'll look into that one.

Alot of you guys love that cube ahaha. looks good.
i have a cube, and i don't think there is a better metal practice amp for the price.
Why suggest the valveking if your not sure?

Ibanez. Valvbee. Do it. Now. You will not regret it.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
I used to own a Spider II 30 but sold it for a Microcube.

Both give very good metal tones for practice. However, the Spider was too big/bulky/loud for my requirements.

The Microcube I can tuck beside the settee so it's always in the living room and the wife doesn't complain (she complains about a guitar being in there, though )
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by Cofflecakes
Why suggest the valveking if your not sure?

Ibanez. Valvbee. Do it. Now. You will not regret it.

Have you tried the valbee? I need info .P
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by metallhead

If you get something like the GT-10, you could use that as a practise amp(ish) by plugging headphones into it and not bothering with amps at all.

I think you'd be better off getting a Cube though.
Got on the bus with me daysavaaaa
Yeah thank you guys alot. I've pretty much decided on the cube. I watched a bunch of demo videos on it too. I'm impressed, the tone people use for metal is awesome and I love the fact its battery and can be moved easily. All of my family that plays instruments, play guitar so Im definately gonna wanna move my amp around to play with them, so the cube seems perfect. I can't wait til I get it.
Good choice.

It can get pretty loud if you want it to as well - enough to jam with another guitarist or two (provided they aren't pumping a 100W stack).
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
cube or spider 3, or mabe a pod and some headphones
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Not hyjack the thread, but anyone tried the valbee?
Lol im looking for a nice little tube amp that can handle some higher gain stuff and i need to know :P
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Weird I know, but, I had a dream about the cube last night. Good enough sign to buy it?

In the dream, I ate the amp.