Is neck through construction better for the bass (I know it is for a guitar) than bolt on. I was looking for a new bass and came down to 2 decisions:

Neck through, $650
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SCHSTUDIO5.html

Bolt On, $550
http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-SCHC5.html

Would it really be worth an extra $100 for the neck through?

BTW, both of these are a step up from my current Squire P-Bass
~Insert Signature Here~
Quote by Gibsocam
Is neck through construction better for the bass (I know it is for a guitar) than bolt on. I was looking for a new bass and came down to 2 decisions:

Nope. Nope. Nope. It's purely a matter of opinion and taste.

Play both, and see which one you prefer. I prefer bolt-on for guitar and bass, you may not.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
The only "advantage" a neck-thru bass has over bolt-on is that the neck joints tend to feel nicer with the potential for easier fret access. People say that the sustain increases, but personally, I play notes, so I don't need super-sustain.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I prefer the feel of neck-thru. It kinda makes the instrument feel like a sword.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Yeah for me i like set or neck thru. Bolt on would be good for bass thoe for me.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
I have a Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 and I'll be damned if it's not the best feeling bass. The action on mine is damn good (no inherent build problems causing inability to fully adjust bass for low action) and the neck is so smooth and the thing just looks good, maybe not high end classiness like that of a Warwick but for the price who the hell cares. You may need to change the PUs, though. I'm slapping actives in mine.
Quote by thefitz
The only "advantage" a neck-thru bass has over bolt-on is that the neck joints tend to feel nicer with the potential for easier fret access. People say that the sustain increases, but personally, I play notes, so I don't need super-sustain.

Exactly. In guitars, sustain is fairly important. For basses however, the playing usually doesn't consist of long, sustained notes or chords, so it's fairly unnecessary. You probably can't tell the difference anyway, unless you time it or something
I love my neck thru. It plays so smoothly and the wood is so soft.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I think neck thoughs look amazing, especially laminated necks.
Right now I am leaning towards neck through, but I am gunna play a few this weekend.
I won't be able to buy this for another few months though
~Insert Signature Here~
Last edited by Gibsocam at Feb 4, 2008,
It's purely a matter of preference. A good bolt on will have only very slightly less sustain.

The only advantage of neck through is that it generally has better fret access for the very highest frets. However, unless you spend an awful lot of time up there, it shouldn't beuch of a factor. The feel difference is the tone.

Bolt ons have a much snappier tone, while neck through sounds more 'wooden'. Try them both out and pick your favorite.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I found neck through basses to be to bright for my taste generally. I bought one and configured the electronics to my tastes and now love it due to the easy high fret access.
Quote by esposito123
I found neck through basses to be to bright for my taste generally. I bought one and configured the electronics to my tastes and now love it due to the easy high fret access.

Usually bolt-ons are better. If you bought the same bass with a bolt on neck, it would be even brighter than when you first got your neck-thru. I do agree about the nice upper fret access, though. Can't touch a neck-thru bass on that one.

TS, the Studio is by far the better instrument of those two. If you're dead set on getting a Schecter, the studio or elite is the way to go.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.