So my band has picked a name, got 4/5 members together. we are rehaearsing Covers and writing our own material, im filling in Vocals till we find a decent singer. my guitarists sister can make us a Website once we start gigging, 120 Dollars for 2 year Domain Name usage. are we going about this the right way? we are all very serious about it. btw we are only turning 15 this year.
^ theres not really a RIGHT way to go about it per say. the closest thing to a RIGHT way is doing WHATEVER it takes to get your music out there, get heard and keep your name buzzing about and building a following of supporters as they are the ones who will inevitably get you anywhere.
I dont recomend a website untill your more along your way. Myspace is just as effective if not more and its free.

But yeah.. Theres not a right way of doing it but there are good ways of doing things. That $120 could go towards a P.A or somthing.

Having said that dont let me stop you.. You can get a website if you want. I dont recomend it tho
I own:
Fender Jazz 24 (5 string) Yay! =D
Behringer BXL3000A Nay =(
Zoom B2 effects Ehh? =S

Im learning:
Bass =P

I play in:
Casual Karma
The Uno Whos
- Both uni bands

DnD nerd of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
i agree, get a myspace instead of a website.

dont use facebook!

becoz in the once u agree to the terms and conditions (when u register) and u put songs/photos on it then they own those songs/pics.

So get a myspace if ur gonna get any of those sites.

cheers, hoped that helped.
Quote by Tubyboulin
So my band has picked a name, got 4/5 members together. we are rehaearsing Covers and writing our own material, im filling in Vocals till we find a decent singer. my guitarists sister can make us a Website once we start gigging, 120 Dollars for 2 year Domain Name usage. are we going about this the right way? we are all very serious about it. btw we are only turning 15 this year.

Yeah, that's pretty much it to begin with.
Like the other guys said, gain some good solid gigging experience and build up a crowd before spending any money on a web site. Put the money towards a decent microphone instead.
It's important to have a good quality microphone for your lead vocals before you start playing live because when you use someone elses PA system, they usualy don't have expensive mics. Cheap mics are OK for drums or guitar but an expensive mic will be louder and clearer for vocals and will make it easier for whoever's doing the mixing to get a decent sound for you.
Once you have a decent set worked out and you are ready to start gigging, buy a set of diaries for everyone in the band. These should be brought along to every practice session and time should be taken out to check with each other's diary, filling in dates when anyone's not available for gigging. (holidays ect.) When someone books a holiday or is going to be away or unavailable for any other reason, then they should let everyone else in the band know and they can cross the date/s out of their diary.
Pick ONE person to handle the bookings. If anyone else in the band is asked about a booking, they should refer the interested party to whoever has been chosen to handle bookings and give them his phone number or other contact details. This person will now hold what is called the 'control' diary. He'll already know what dates everyone will be available for because it'll be in his diary, and because there's only him that the bookings go through, you don't run the risk of double booking your band in two seperate venues on the same date.
Now he can either wait until the next practice to tell the rest of you about any bookings (but that runs the risk that someone might book that date for personal reasons in the meantime) or he can ring you all up and tell you about it (but that means he's running up a large phone bill, especialy if your getting plenty of gigs) or he can ring one of you, who can then ring someone else in the band, who can then ring someone else, ect. That way, you share the cost of keeping you all in touch.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Feb 4, 2008,
Thanks to all of you guys, great advice. And yeah 4/5 Meens we havent found a singer yet, we wont be putting up the Website till we get solid Giggin Experience. Ill invest in that Mic though, thanks.

Where would i be without UG haha?

...probobly actually practicing
Quote by SSDDPunkRocker
"4/5 members"? I think you should be able to say who is or isn't in the band, then move forward.

I disagree. The vocals are least important for writing and rehearsing, so you really don't need them yet. The website is a bad idea though. Just use myspace and, as already mentioned, use the $120 for something useful like a mic or a PA or merch when you get that far.
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Quote by Lydian_Mode
I disagree. The vocals are least important for writing and rehearsing, so you really don't need them yet.

/facepalm

Ok, care to explain why are they the least important instrument when writing?