I understand that OD pedals such as the Ibanez tube screamer work best for all tube amp heads, but how would it sound if I used one with a Non tube amp head?
I have a Hughes and Kettner Matrix 100 amp head and I want to use the built in distortion but I want to polish it up and make it as dirty as possible. any thoughts?
It might work but:

1 - I've never tried it.

2 - I seem to remember someone way back when saying that it won't work so well, anyone back me up on this?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have an OD not a TS but an OD nonetheless and it sounds really thin and weak through my SS amp but I've ran it through a Mesa Mark IV before and it sounded great.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Tube screamers are overdrive pedals, yes, with a healthy kick in the mids to boost the amp, but fundamentally they are mostly distortion pedals. A true overdrive pedal would only add volume and highs/mids to the amp (aka- a treble booster) while a tube screamer adds mostly distortion and a few mids. So to answer your question - yes it'll work.
If you use it as a boost (all volume, half tone, and none or slight od), it'll work alright. I use a Boss SD1 or Tubescreamer with my Randall RX20 alot as a boost. It sounds alot better, but only if you keep the od knob down though.