Page 1 of 2
Holy crap.

Everytime i put my Traynor YCV40 over around 5, it starts squeling and screeching annoyingly, and horribly. I rented it for one month at Long and McQuade so its ok , but i want to know whats wrong...
Quote by statixguitar53
when in doubt, buy an elephant testicle

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
are you standing too close to your amp? probably if your adjusting the volume

does it happen when your holding the strings down?

are there any pedals on?

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

No pedals. Only if dont touch my strings does it make the noise. Im standing away from the ampl.
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Feedback.

Get a noise gate (ISP Decimator or similar but not the Boss NS-2)
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Feedback.

Get a noise gate (ISP Decimator or similar but not the Boss NS-2)

how much do those cost?
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^$120 usually. Could get one cheaper off of ebay.

Wow does this happen to all amps? That is so bunk...
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by nathanma93
Wow does this happen to all amps? That is so bunk...

At high volume and gain it almost a flat guarantee unless you're standing in just the right place and don't move and are constantly muting, shell out for a decent noise gate: you won't regret it.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
At high volume and gain it almost a flat guarantee unless you're standing in just the right place and don't move and are constantly muting, shell out for a decent noise gate: you won't regret it.

that is such bull****....

Does everyone who owns tube amps get noise gates?
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by nathanma93

If they need high gain. The thing is that you are in the same room and it is probably a small room. If you had room to get 10 or 15 feet away your amp shouldn't feedback.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
If they need high gain. The thing is that you are in the same room and it is probably a small room. If you had room to get 10 or 15 feet away your amp shouldn't feedback.

that is a long ass guitar cable....
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by nathanma93
that is a long ass guitar cable....

Not really. 100 foot ones aren't uncommon at shows. Either that or get a good wireless system. But for the bedroom guitarist that wants to crank their amp like you, that noise gate will do the trick.
Quote by nathanma93

Basically yes, I can almost guarantee you that any guitarist you like that plays with high gain does so with a noise gate.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Not really. 100 foot ones aren't uncommon at shows. Either that or get a good wireless system. But for the bedroom guitarist that wants to crank their amp like you, that noise gate will do the trick.

Any jackass using a 100 foot cable is losing way too much signal to ever get any feedback.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Could be a shielding problem or something interfering with your signal.
12 fret fury
Quote by Punk Poser
Could be a shielding problem or something interfering with your signal.

no way. my room is about 20 x 20./.
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by omarrodrigez
Any jackass using a 100 foot cable is losing way too much signal to ever get any feedback.

Yeah...until you put it through a huge rack system an amp that could kill small children and a PA that can cover small countries with sound, then just about anyone can get feedback.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
It's probably your pickups. When ever I crank up my Mesa I get little to no feedback with my Les Paul, but if I hooked up my cheap Kramer it howls like a beast.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by zoomzilla
It's probably your pickups. When ever I crank up my Mesa I get little to no feedback with my Les Paul, but if I hooked up my cheap Kramer it howls like a beast.

What can i do about it then?
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by forsaknazrael
What are your EQ settings?

BTW, don't get discouraged by the feedback. Traynors are GREAT amps. I have a YCV40, and it's amazing.

Do you get feedback?
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
I know what you mean.

I turn mine over 4-5 and it starts squealing...but that's only because I have the gain to max and I kick in the OD, so it's to be expected. A noise gate will probably be something I need to buy sometime soon.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by omarrodrigez

The people that use those cables are probably paying $300+ for that cable, in which case it's probably made of the best materials available and probably loses less signal than the 12 foot fender starter cables.

Noise reducers don't really stop feedback much at all. They do reduce noise from the pedals and guitar to an extent. Noise gates do a better job at stopping feedback but TBH, to kill feedback you have to have the threshold cranked on those things, in which case you might as well forget playing any leads.

I would recommend changing the powertubes. It's not cheap but it helps a lot. Better cables, slightly less gain, and standing farther away helps also.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by forsaknazrael
Nope. So, what are you EQ settings? It's a high pitched squeal, right? Clean or dirty channel?

Dirty channel. Gain is very high up. Almost all the way.
Quote by statixguitar53

GEAR:
Mesa F-50
Hagstrom Swede
ZVEX Fuzz Factory
Quote by MESAexplorer
The people that use those cables are probably paying $300+ for that cable, in which case it's probably made of the best materials available and probably loses less signal than the 12 foot fender starter cables.

You do realize that you lose signal on ANY guitar cable over 15'-20' long, right?
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Last edited by omarrodrigez at Feb 4, 2008,
I would be strongly suspicious of a badly microphonic tube or two. I believe MESA alluded to tubes also. If its a rental amp I'm sure its been cranked up a lot.
try turning down the reverb completely if you have it on, that's the only thing that gets me feedback at high volumes. if i turn it down to 0-3, i don't have any schreeching feedback at all.
When i play my amp at 12 on the clean channel, in a small room in my house, with my strat facing the amp on a distance of about 2-3 meters, the only thing i get is the good feedback kind. no schreeching at all. it still amazes me
If you use some sort of a buffer (which will change the high impedance signal to a low impedance signal) you can use an awful lot of cable without serious signal degradation issues. Otherwise you end up forking out tons of cash for good cable (the cable from my guitar to my tuner cost about $150) that keeps the high impedance signal with little degradation. Long cable runs are common and there are ways to make the best of them.

Regarding feedback, it's an issue that every guitar amp has if the input signal is high enough, and "high enough" is not a universal term. Good noise reduction works wonders in reducing feedback and other unwanted noise. May I strongly recommend the ISP Decimator ProRackG.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
May I strongly recommend the ISP Decimator ProRackG.

The pedal version is just as good and cheaper and easier to use into the bargain.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The pedal version is just as good

I'm sorry, but you're sadly mistaken.
Quote by Kendall

CORRECTO!!!!!!!
the isp pedal will NEVER be as good as their rack unit. wanna know why? the pro rack G runs through your effects loop and between the guitar and amp. complete silence. pedal version = NOT!
Well Enough Alone
Quote by Kendall

Well it may not work just as well but it works fine for my high gain set up at high volumes so I don't see why you'd need anything that works "better".

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by guitardude11
CORRECTO!!!!!!!
the isp pedal will NEVER be as good as their rack unit. wanna know why? the pro rack G runs through your effects loop and between the guitar and amp. complete silence. pedal version = NOT!

So wait, I have an effects loop I can put pedals in, but according to you I couldn't put the ISP pedal in it?

EDIT: I get what you mean now, but its a high price to pay for a bit less noise.
Last edited by iamtompublic at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by Zaphod Beeblebr
Well it may not work just as well but it works fine for my high gain set up at high volumes so I don't see why you'd need anything that works "better".

The ProRackG is a two channel noise reduction system that goes both in front of the amp AND in the effects loop. It tracks the signal between the two channels to help isolate the clean guitar signal from the preamp noise that will hit the second channel. It even has a low pass filter that is unnecessary, but quite useful sometimes. In addition, the ProRackG has a higher input signal capacity and about twice the effective noise reduction capability (120db versus about 60db that the pedal has).

It's remarkably effective in that you can achieve a usable level of noise reduction that would chop off note attack and kill sustain in other systems. If a single pedal works for you, then by all means use it and be happy. Tell people you use it and like it and that it does what you need it to. Don't, however, tell people that it compares equally to what many consider to be a vastly superior system. Different people have different gear requirements (and thus different noise reduction requirements) and misinformation won't help anyone make an educated decision.
I stand owned.

I just assumed it was the same thing but in a rack unit *d'oh*.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by nathanma93
What can i do about it then?

I don't know anything about your current guitar so I cannot make any recommendations. My pickups are wax potted to reduce microphonic feedback. Well needless to say it works. They are mean as hell as far as output and have very little feedback. Active pickups will usually cure this problem as well, but again, without knowing about your guitar or what you want to play, it's hard to make a recommendation.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by acdcrocks0323

UGH **** wireless

but i agree on the noise gate part. NS-2s kinda suck tone though
Page 1 of 2