I have a gibson SG junior (from the 60s, but it is currently in the shop). I hunger for another SG, I really enjoy the '61 reissue. BUT I am fed up with gibson's quality control these days, and am wondering if i should buy an SG from another era that I may be able to snag for cheaper. I am told that gibson after 93 was crap, but I cannot clarify this. Should I buy an Sg from the early 90s, the 80s or the 70s, or should I just grab the 61 reissue (STILL FREAKIN EXPENSIVE)? (I DO NOT HAVE MONEY TO SPEND ON ANOTHER 60s GUITAR!)
how about the SG prophecy by epiphone?
Guitar
Lyon LI15
Epi Beast
Berhinger V-ampire LX210
Danelectro grilled cheese & t-bone

Bass:
Peavey 112
Ibanez gsr200

Saving for Bugera 333 $300 / $599 :|

Quote by Doppelgänger
Agreed. There's no point in doing anything if she looks like shit.
maybe wait till u get ur SG back formt he shop?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i would simply like another SG with buckers, and am not sure which years are the best... b/c mine has a p-90, but i would also like a second SG with a bucker in it (i love the bucker tone, as a compliment to the P-90) so which years are the best (NOT 60s please!).
maybe take it to the SG thread. there are SG fanatics over there.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
maybe take it to the SG thread. there are SG fanatics over there.

i dont really consider myself as a sg fanatics but heres some opinions that might be useful. if you want a guitar with buckers then your whole selection just got HUGE. it dosen't nessarily have to be another sg, you can try out other type of guitar, like a flying v or explorer, or you can go asian and get a ibanez, i'm not really sure about jacksons and esp but from what i heard and seen they are pretty good. if your that didicated to get another sg for the buckers, thn get a gibson sg special. new shound be under 1 grand and used should be around 700. i have a 2005 gibson sg standard in heritage cherry and its pretty awesome compare to the 61 reissue my bandmate has. another reason i would choose the std over 61's is because of the bat like pickbuard, it just look so much more proper then that les paul wannabe pickguard the 61 carries
The thing is, I know some of the older standards had the slim-taper style necks... and i just want that neck basically, just I do not want to pay 1900, but i love the feel and the tone... Anybody know which standards had the slim necks? (I have played other guitars, but they just don't get the feel the SG has... And I'm inheriting my old man's strat at the end of this year so I don't need to save up for the strat)
you can actually feel the differnce between 50's and 60s neck? jesus...lol i only found out my lp classic antique have a 60's neck was when i look into the info. other thn that it feels the same as my sg std. to answer your question, no gibson sg std have the 60's neck. infact the only sg model has the 60's neck are the reissues. but if ur going to drop almost 2 grand just for the neck then u might as well get a les paul classic, which also comes with 60's neck, and higher output pickups
are you sure, I could have sworn it might have been on some 80s models... B.c the neck on the 61 felt substantially better than the standard...
hmm maybe the 80s or the 70s but as far as i know the ones in guitar center and sam ash or any other retailers only have 50's neck, but if you really want to go out and look for a gibson sg from the 80s or 70s then you have to chip out alot of cash cause i highly doubt they come cheap, even on ebay. if the newere quality dosen't concern you then i think you're better off getting the 61' reissue sg
I really do like the older Gibsons more than the current ones. My '74 SG is lovely, but a lot of people don't like the mini-humbuckers. I'd try to get my hands on an older one, as it'll probably be worth your money more, and it'd have that nice vintage look to it.