So I played saxophone in a school band for four or so years before picking up the electric guitar. I learned most of the musical terms. I was taught that staccato meant short and pointed, and legato meant long and smooth. After I started playing electric guitar though, I saw that people reffered to slurs (hammer-ons/pull offs) as legato. Of course, slurs are one way of playing legato, but you can also play legato and pick every note, correct?
Yes.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
you are correct.

brownie points to you.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
The smooth part makes pretty simple sense. It sounds alot smoother when you can slide and hammer on and pull off rather than picking every note.
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Yeah, I always wondered about it to. The thing with hammerons and pulloffs is that unless you are horribly violent with them, they always sound smooth and flowing, as opposed to picking, which usually does not.
Quote by CowboyUp
Yeah, I always wondered about it to. The thing with hammerons and pulloffs is that unless you are horribly violent with them, they always sound smooth and flowing, as opposed to picking, which usually does not.

right, i agree. I still don't understand how legato came to mean slur though. As you said, all slurs (if done right) as legato, but not all legato are slurs.
Guitar forums aren't exactly strict about music terminology.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by Spamwise
right, i agree. I still don't understand how legato came to mean slur though. As you said, all slurs (if done right) as legato, but not all legato are slurs.

It doesn't imply slur, though. Rather, it means that there isn't any pronunciation for all of the individual notes, rather it flows together.
Technically it isn't, but the guitar has certain techniques that are used to achieve legato.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
In musical notation the Italian word legato (literally meaning "tied together") indicates that musical notes are played smoothly.

The way i see it, whatever you can do to achieve that effect is, in fact, legato.
I love all the misnomers in guitar, like the name tremolo bar. It doesn't do make a tremolo effect, it does vibrato. And all the Fender vibro-whatever amps have tremolo, not vibrato.
Strat / SH-201 -> DOD Mixer -> ZVex Mastotron -> Fulltone Clyde -> BYOC OD II -> Ibanez FLL -> VS Chorus -> DOD FX 96 -> Boss DD-6 -> MXR 10-Band EQ -> Boss RC-2 -> Stereo Mixer -> Alesis PicoVerb -> Peavey Delta Blues 210/Yamaha Fifty112