Got myself a Harmony Silhouette, apparently customized. (routed with a drill bit..lol) Well...I have no idea what the pickups are, but there's 4 of them, and they are very hot. This thing gas some amazing cleans, and great distorted tones, but when I get it anywhere near a loud amp I get feedback. Bad. I assume this is due to microphonics...but I don't know how to fix it. Help?

If it is of any relevance, the negative wire in the guitar's circuitry(from the electronics to the jack) is actually the metal pickguard >_<

pics

edit: I'm also thinking about making a new pickguard and replacing the 2nd and 4th pickups with minibuckers...that do you guys think?
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 4, 2008,
That the only way? I'm not exactly sure how to get into these...you can sort of see what I mean in this pic. Thanks, btw

edit: forgot to mention, there's no ground to the pickups Oddly, though, they aren't very noisy at all.

edit again: does anyone know what that green component on the tone pot is for?

Nope, no sig here.
Get into? You just need to dip them in wax, so the wax fills in the space between the coil and pickup cover. This way, nothing moves, and there's no microphonic squeal. You can also use shellac, but it does not work as well with covered pickups.

Your pickups DO have a ground. They have to. One of those two wires attached has to be one. That's how they work.

Weird ass wiring, btw. I'd assume the green thing is a capacitor. It's used to make the tone pot...well, into a tone pot. I can't see it in the pic, but I'd assume that's what it is.

Could you draw up a wiring diagram, color coded?

Use pickup drawings from guitarelectronics.com.
By get into I meant that the back of the pickup is covered too....and yeah it is very wierd wiring. I'm going to redo the whole thing when I get the chance. I honestly can't do a diagram atm because I have no idea what whoever created this thing did. The best I can do is cameraphone pics...I can get those at 1080 at least.
Nope, no sig here.
Older pickups were about as hot as they could get at the time. People really wanted to push their amps to drive more at lower volumes by raising the output. The pickups themselves could be the cause of your feedback. Forsaknazrael has covered just about all the cures to this problem other than the pickups themselves which could be the problem in itself rather...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Noise gates/suppressors are supposed to help with feedback.

I would leave that guitar how it is. Vintage Harmonies and Silvertones are worth money, but that's my crazy opinion. Really, don't re-wire it, or try to rip it apart and wax pot the pickups. If it works, it works.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Noise gates/suppressors are supposed to help with feedback.

I would leave that guitar how it is. Vintage Harmonies and Silvertones are worth money, but that's my crazy opinion. Really, don't re-wire it, or try to rip it apart and wax pot the pickups. If it works, it works.

I'm actually not sure this is a harmony....the body isn't like the silhouettes I see on the net...but there aren't many pics so I don't know. The headstock certainly fits the bill, and I was told it was one...but I have no way to be sure. It is definitely not stock, though, whatever it is...so I'm not very worried about it. I've managed to do a diagram, and I'll post the rest of the good pics I have to answer any questions. Sorry, I know this is going to be huge...

edit: no, that isn't a mistake...the side labeled on really is on the side opposite the wiring.

And sorry those are so blurry...my phone's focusing is limited

Nope, no sig here.
Well, it looks like the red wire is the Hot wire, and the white wire is the ground. And yeah, seems to be grounded to the pickguard, which goes to the jack. Very strange. I asked SomeoneYouKnew about this, since he's totally l33t when it comes to diagrams, and he says pickups are turned off by shorting them with those switches.

He suggested something else, too, that perhaps the microphonics are from the whole pickup moving, in relation to the pickguard.

Which makes me think...what kind of height springs do the pickups have? It's also possible for springs to be microphonic.
It's possible to replace them with compressible spring tubing, to combat this problem. It's very cheap, and be ordered off stewmac.com. If that is the problem, that would be easy, and wouldn't require any real modification to the guitar, therefore not decreasing its value.

Could I see a closer picture of the bridge, too? Just for curiosity's sake.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, it looks like the red wire is the Hot wire, and the white wire is the ground. And yeah, seems to be grounded to the pickguard, which goes to the jack. Very strange. I asked SomeoneYouKnew about this, since he's totally l33t when it comes to diagrams, and he says pickups are turned off by shorting them with those switches.

He suggested something else, too, that perhaps the microphonics are from the whole pickup moving, in relation to the pickguard.

Which makes me think...what kind of height springs do the pickups have? It's also possible for springs to be microphonic.
It's possible to replace them with compressible spring tubing, to combat this problem. It's very cheap, and be ordered off stewmac.com. If that is the problem, that would be easy, and wouldn't require any real modification to the guitar, therefore not decreasing its value.

Could I see a closer picture of the bridge, too? Just for curiosity's sake.

sure thing

And the Vibrato...simplest thing I've ever seen >.<

It has pretty standard springs..I suppose they could be vibrating. They are also in direct contact with the pickguard...so are the pickups. I never thought of that. (The nuts holding the springs in are soldered on... )

I don't think there's any value to decrease, btw...this was definitely someone's project
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Soldered on? So no way to get to the springs?

I could try to break the solder, maybe...

I just noticed, the pic of the vibrato is from when I got it...see how they're stringed through it? Haha...it doesn't work like that..

edit: hey...I'm John too!
Nope, no sig here.
Not to spam, but....That is a crazy cool/awesome project/art/wtf guitar you got there.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by forsaknazrael
cool.

Supposed to be a through body design?

Well, solder CAN be removed by using desoldering braid. Do you have a soldering iron?

No, that appears to be the original bridge and vibrato. That's got to be the wierdest vibrato system I've ever seen. It's just a rod with holes in it attached to some springs.

I've concluded that this in indeed not a Silhouette...as to what would be I have no idea, but the body is different from all the pics I see, though it appears to be closely related. It does have the characteristic "baseball bat" neck so I'm thinking it's at least in the harmony/silvertone family.

edit: I've found fficial%26sa%3DN">this

Could it be a Teisco? The pups say made in japan on them..

edit again: I'm almost sure it's a Teisco...google "Vintage Teisco" and look at the placement of the upper strap button on all of them. I've found fficial%26sa%3DN">this page and the pic at the top looks exactly like that body style...but it's a dead link

Edit 3: I'll just make a new thread for that elsewhere...this one was for fixing feedback. Look what ADD has done to me...

Quote by Kevin Saale
Not to spam, but....That is a crazy cool/awesome project/art/wtf guitar you got there.

Thanks
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 5, 2008,
The microphonics could be almost anything vibrating on the guitar. You should solder ground wires to everywhere that needs it, and try to tighten all screws and nuts down.