Page 1 of 2
i have a squire strat..... with a fender amp. and just about everything i play sound kinda crappy :\.

and idk like i can play songs but they just dont sound good. umm right now i'm trying to play bat country by a7x and i can get the rhythm and everything but i doesn't sound anything like it. and its does that with alot of songs. i was thinking about changing the stock pickups, to maybe change the sound of my electic played songs cause they always sound hummy and have no real sustainment in them, i wanted to maybe change the pickups to these (http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Duncan-Invader-Pickup-Bridge/dp/B0002D05WS)........

but can i even do that?, hahahahahaha. but yeah any comments with be much appreciated. thanks in advance.
You are horribly ill equipped sir.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
thats probably because you have a strat. single coils are not good for metal. new guitar is in order with humbucker pickups.
lol single coils not good for metal... iron maiden uses strats. the best thing is not to upgrade the pickups they don't have a whole lot to do with the tone. 90% of the sound comes from the amp. Upgrade your amp or get a pedal.
And at this point, many people would tell you to get a better amp, because around here, everyone knows, new amp > new guitar. What kind of fender amp is it?
Get a new amp. It's all amp man.... well mostly.
Oppression, quiet and Repressed
Swept under the seams
the bed of the acquiesced
where we sleep, insomniac dreams
Quote by fretsonfire74
thats probably because you have a strat. single coils are not good for metal. new guitar is in order with humbucker pickups.

ha ha. ive got a peavey raptor strat copy that has a hell of a lot more balls than my epi lp. go figure.
don't bother upgrading your squire. it was my first guitar, and once i got to a certain skill level, owning that guitar depressed me.
since the squire, i bought an epiphone sg special. The epiphone was considerably better sounding (dual humbuckers sound much better than those ****ty squire single coils), but still had the poor action of a squire.
my girlfriend just got me an ibanez rg series, and coming out of my marshall amp/digitech multi effects, i finally feel like i have somewhat of a professional sound.

try playing one of your friends' guitars or something; i knew i had to upgrade when i tried out my buddy's epiphone lp studio out of a crate half stack.
Quote by Dog454
You are horribly ill equipped sir.

oh please, i started out with a squire strat and a peavey backstage and it wasn't the equipment that held me back. it was my own freak'n lack of talent. all this talk about "ooohh, what amp/effect/pickups/guitar do i need to sound like [insert some crappy-a$$ guitar player/band]" is making me sick.

to the thread starter, is your guitar tuned and intonated properly? cuz i read posts on here of people asking how to change strings and tune a guitar. is your guitar tuned to the same pitch of the song or band you're trying to play?
maybe its because you're playing metal, try stopping that

in fact, try not listening to metal either, and maybe you'll get a girlfriend?

indie boys get laid

yours sincerely

smug indie boy
x
92% of teenagers have moved on to rap

Put this in your sig if you realise this is because rock has become stale and unoriginal, while hip hop is continually evolving and truer to it's roots
lol please don't start playing indie... If you do you will never excel at guitar... and like everyone else said squier strats arn't bad guitars.
Quote by frusciante39
maybe its because you're playing metal,
x

i wouldn't exactly call a7x metal. hahahahaha
Dude, single coils will work, but they won't be exactly right. My buddy plays Beast and the Harlot on his Strat all the time when we're practicing and it sounds decent, it's mostly just the amp. If you get a better amp then you will definitly get a WAY better sound, no matter what guitar you have. I use a friggen Squier Bullet for my single coil stuff and it sounds fine. If you don't want to buy a whole new amp just get a crazy distortion pedal man. I've got a Boss MD-2 and that thing kicks ass even through my practice amp.
Last edited by wiliscool at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by stevenexp
lol single coils not good for metal... iron maiden uses strats. the best thing is not to upgrade the pickups they don't have a whole lot to do with the tone. 90% of the sound comes from the amp. Upgrade your amp or get a pedal.

There's not much that's metal about Iron Maiden. I don't care if all the tr00 metal kids love them, they're not really that metal. ;]
Quote by frusciante39
maybe its because you're playing metal, try stopping that

in fact, try not listening to metal either, and maybe you'll get a girlfriend?

indie boys get laid

yours sincerely

smug indie boy
x

i loved to kick the **** out of people like you at school. you're about as indie as my left nut.
Quote by sethp
oall this talk about "ooohh, what amp/effect/pickups/guitar do i need to sound like [insert some crappy-a$$ guitar player/band]" is making me sick.

What amp/effect/pickups/guitar do i need to sound like John Petrucci on the Live at Budokan CD and DVD, Satriani on Live in San Fransisco, Eric Johnson on G3-1996? I know the answers and am against trying to copy people's tone exactly but Im trying to make a point about you saying people try to sound like crappy players and if you think John Petrucci, Satriani or Johnson are crappy players...
For real dude Squier ftw.
Quote by stevenexp
the best thing is not to upgrade the pickups they don't have a whole lot to do with the tone. 90% of the sound comes from the amp. Upgrade your amp or get a pedal.
This dude knos what he's talkin about!
Quote by Lrn2shrd69
What amp/effect/pickups/guitar do i need to sound like John Petrucci on the Live at Budokan CD and DVD, Satriani on Live in San Fransisco, Eric Johnson on G3-1996? I know the answers and am against trying to copy people's tone exactly but Im trying to make a point about you saying people try to sound like crappy players and if you think John Petrucci, Satriani or Johnson are crappy players...

They may not be technically crappy players, but musically they're all boring as ****. Petrucci being the odd one out, at least DT manages to occaisionally reign him in to play some riffs rather than endlessly shredding.

Satch has nice ass tone though ¬¬
^So true.
P.S. - Mod ur Squier, its really fun + you don't have to worry about f-ing it up.
Quote by Dream Pin
There's not much that's metal about Iron Maiden. I don't care if all the tr00 metal kids love them, they're not really that metal. ;]

yeah, and next thing you know youll be saying that black sabbath isnt metal either *throws hands up in the air* you cant be less metal then before just because so many new bands try to copy you and do a poor job of it.

*note: jof does not listen to, or particulary like, most metal

TS, i agree with the guy who said to make sure your guitar is tuned and intonated propperly. i dont know how many times ive picked a guitar up and thought it had bad tone for no other reason than the G string was intonated poorly. once you get it set up correctly, set it to pickup selection 2 on your 5 way (bridge + middle) and start to mess with your amp's eq. no fender is really going to excell at an A7X tone, but you can get it decent if you work with it a bit.
Quote by Dream Pin
They may not be technically crappy players, but musically they're all boring as ****. Petrucci being the odd one out, at least DT manages to occaisionally reign him in to play some riffs rather than endlessly shredding.

Hmm, you ever listened to Glasgow Kiss? Jaws of Life? Damage Control?
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Quote by Fama
Hmm, you ever listened to Glasgow Kiss? Jaws of Life? Damage Control?

Indeed I have. Didn't do much for me.

And to the other dude. No, I'm not gonna say Black Sabbath aren't metal. They were metal as ****. And yeah I know that Iron Maiden are technically metal, and did a lot for the genre, I'm just a biased asshole that talks a lot of ****.
Just an afterthought: Is your guitar an actual Squier Strat, or is it a Squier Bullet?

And how did this turn into a discussion about what's metal or not?
Quote by revan1013
Get a new amp. It's all amp man.... well mostly.

The guy has a Squire... you can't be serious..
Quote by stevenexp

Iron Maiden don't use single coils in their strats.
Quote by stevenexp

Yes, and Iron Maiden also swap their pickups with stack humbuckers.

As for your problem TS, it's probably your gear. While you could play metal with them, they aren't really suited for the genre. Try going to a guitar store and playing with their gear and see if you sound better.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
The only way I can think you could get a decent sound is probably bass=9 mid=6= treb=4 on the position 2 with the tone at about halfway or a little lower.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The only way I can think you could get a decent sound is probably bass=9 mid=6= treb=4 on the position 2 with the tone at about halfway or a little lower.

That's just going to sound flubby if he's using something like a lower wattage Fender Frontman.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I agree, but the strat and the frontman already have too much treble and not enough bass. It's basically going to be flubby no matter what, but that may give you some half arsed metal.

He has everything going against him; not enough output from pickups, wrong voicing of pickups, not enough gain from amp, wrong voicing of amp.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
If it's a fender frontman amp, replace it. VERY VERY FAST.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
wowowowwowowowowow.

this thread branched off into everything nowe didnt it.

see so i think imma have to get a new friggin amp, cause it is the the fender or squire amp that comes with the guitar.
but as your my squire i was either gotta cut out the space so i could get that new pickup bridge in there, but then when i was at my music store that gave me a badass deal on this guitar for 150, which i think i might buy on friday, and then look for an amp.

and as for what is metal or not, shiiiiiiit from what i've seen there like about at least 50 different types of metal so it doesn't matter really what isn't or isn't.

and no i dont play only metal, and i know how to ture my guitar. i'm a 18 y.o. black dude who who can pull a girl and i play everything from a7x, dragonforce, jeff buckley, the white stripes, giant drag, tenacious d, queen, coldplay x1000, queens of the stoneage, bob marley, and getting into jimi, and thats just off the top of my head of songs i know how to play. i aint great but i'm playing, but i wanna upgrade cause my distortion sound like a fuzzy acoustic, hahahaha.

but its just that i got a guitar, amp, stand, 20ft wire, lotta picks, and a tuner for $80.
so i haven't really thought about upgrading much.

soo thanks for all the help, i'll keep yall updated.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Work on your technique. Practice more. Steve Vai's rig dosn't make you Steve Vai. Bla bla bla.

que? steve vai?
New amp for sure. Get the new amp, then later get a new guitar. New amp is much more important for getting better tone.

Get a Roland Cube 30 or 60.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by chriskoolaid
que? steve vai?

Arguably the best progressive shred guitarist of his generation. The battle continues between Gilbert/Satriani/Vai/Petreucci.

Edit: Where's Yngwie? Where's Yngwie? He's playing supposedly "cultured" music, badmouthing guitarists that are better than he is and being an AS SHOLE.
Quote by MrCarrot
New amp for sure. Get the new amp, then later get a new guitar. New amp is much more important for getting better tone.
^Do that.

Quote by chriskoolaid
i play everything from a7x, dragonforce, jeff buckley, the white stripes, giant drag, tenacious d, queen, coldplay x1000, queens of the stoneage, bob marley, and getting into jimi, and thats just off the top of my head of songs i know how to play.
Hells yeah
Quote by MrCarrot

Get a Roland Cube 30 or 60.

He is correct. Cubes are good SS amps for metal. They have some nice effects as well, not great considering its a SS modelling practice amp

But they're good nonethesless, Speaking of which im selling my cube 60
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

playing skill IMO is much more important than gear as you need to play great to sound great but it does come to a point where the gear is just so bad that you cant use it for anything really...

everyone bashes the MG amps but have a listen to what one member did with his MG amp:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780970

Sure you can hear the digitalness at times but with his playing skills it almost doesnt matter.......

For metal a fender amp probably isnt the best since they are more for clean tones and OD IMO but a few FX pedals or even a new amp should get you sounding like Avenged Sevenfold.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
playing skill IMO is much more important than gear as you need to play great to sound great but it does come to a point where the gear is just so bad that you cant use it for anything really...

*Agreed*

Good gear wont make you sound good to an extent. If all you can do is a few powerchords and you have..say Marshall JVM half-stack...you wont sound to great. But if you can shred like a motherfxcker you will sound good to an extent, both gear and skill is needed to sound good.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

Page 1 of 2