Hello, all. I have a Schecter Stiletto Studio-4 and plan on replacing the passive EMG-HZ pups with active EMG pups. I plan to get an EMG 35P4 for the bridge position and an EMG 35J for the neck.

What I need to know is how do actives interact with the pre-amp that's already in the bass. I know that the volume and blend pots will have to be changed to accommodate the pot ratings of active vs. passives but does the active 3-band pre-amp w/ knobs require changing or would it end up being a straight forward swap?

And secondly, with a pre-amp already requiring two batteries how many batteries will I end up with total with two new active pups? Does everything run off two, or four, or what? I know my two active EMGs on my guitar only needed one battery for both (I used the 18v mod anyway) so would two batteries for the pups and two batteries for the pre-amp be the right way to go?

Thanks!
I really wish I could help you on this one, because I'm interested in hearing how this turns out. However, you may have more luck in the Gear Modification and Customization forum. I'm pretty sure they could hook you up
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
AFAIK, EMG's have a universal harness for all their bass pickups, so swapping out the pickups should be a matter of just unscrewing and unplugging the pickup and putting the new one in its place.

I'm not sure that you'll have to replace anything else, though. I think the stilleto studio has this EMG control setup:

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Accessories&categoryid=33&catalogid=143

Since EMG's Hz series are supposed to be direct replacements for EMG pickups, I don't think you'll have to change out anything other than the pickups. The one thing I do think you would need would be two batteries, but the studio already has that.

But I may be completely wrong on this; be sure to check out EMG's site and scrounge whatever information you can out of there. I'd even recommend shooting them and email if you can; they should know what you need to do.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

Thanks for the help.

Though, while I'm not sure which Pre-Amp set the Studio comes with I'm pretty sure it's not that EMG pre-amp set that you linked as the circuit board for the one in my bass doesn't look anything like the one(s) in that picture - though, technically is doesn't have to to be the same. My pre-amp looks more like the P-30EQ (which is the active pre-amp set) while the volume and tone are separate since they are rated for passive PUs and therefore aren't part of the active circuit. That's why I'll need to change the pots to ones with a proper rating for active PUs.
Last edited by Johnny Two Tone at Feb 4, 2008,
the EMGHZs should have the solderless clips on them so you should be able to undo the HZs and put the same wires into the actives.

look to see if your HZs have the clip on the bottom
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
bump
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E