Hi guys!

I'm new here, so let me, first, introduce myself. My name is Alexey. I came to the US 4 years ago to get my bachelor's degree here, and now after graduation in May I will stay in Columbus, OH for another year or two and will have some free time that I would like to spend productively.

I've been playing the guitar for 4 years, I never had guitar lessons before, and I seriously think that my level still sucks and I need someone to help me work on my technique.

I need a good and reputable teacher that can show to me and explain what I am doing wrong and how I can improve my skills. I need the teacher that can always explain why I need to play a piece this way and not the other way (not like "just because the excercise is like that" or "you just have to"). He has to be strict and to have an established program of lessons (not like "ok, what do you want to do today").

First, if you are from this area, could you suggest any teachers that would meet such criteria?

Second, are there any specialized resources online where I can look for this kind of teachers (only personal lessons - no online learning)?

Last, what price level should I look at? The best guitar teachers in Moscow take up to $70 per lesson (1-1.5 hours).

As an example, here is one video of the students of one the best teachers http://www.zaburuev.ru/video/video5.htm in Moscow.
In addition, the length of studying with that teacher in order of the video:
stacatto - 3 months;
legato+arpeggio - 3 months;
cliche - 7 months;
legato - 5 months;
etude Bach Monk - 11 months;
riff Extreme - Kid Ego - 8 months;
riff Extreme - Cupid's Dead - 4 months;
riff Extreme - He Man Woman Hater - 11 months.

Here are some of his own videos http://www.zaburuev.ru/video.htm

This is an example of the teacher that would be perfect for me. I hope you have an idea.

Thanks in advance.
Quote by MangeRamone
Get Joe Satriani

Very funny. Dude, I'm serious, if you don't know what to write, then just don't write anything.
Quote by uvq
Cant you just teach yourself?
I did.
trust me it works.

First of all, I'm pretty sure that when you show your videos or recordings to a professional teacher, like Zaburuev, you will most likely change your opinion about your playing.
Second, not all people can just teach themselves. There are some very importants truths about the technique that not everyone can discover. In my understanding, a good teacher is not someone that teaches you a particular technique but someone that can "push" you in the right direction.
Copied from an earlier Post:

You may want to invest in some lessons. It can help with frustration. Let me offer this guide:

Don't take lessons from just anyone. That can put you on the track to furstration and losing interest very quickly. You need to know a few things first:

1. Do you want to play guitar or be a musician?
Just because somebody plays well, doesn't mean they can teach music well.
Ask the person, will they teach you guitar or music. Maybe you want to play and that's what the teacher will teach you. Great. But if you want to be a musician, then you need to learn from a musician.

2. Is this person a teacher? I know a lot people who can read and write well, but they can't teach Shakespeare. Just because they can play well, doesn't mean they can teach well. Look for music teacher ie they went through a music education program. There are teachers out there who can teach extremely well and never had any formal teaching education, but it's difficult. Packaging and presenting material with checks for understanding, guided practice, and correct pacing is very complex. Most people think they can do it - most people are so wrong.

3. Interview three teachers, ask them a lot of questions or even pay for a first lesson. Choose the one you feel most comfortable with. And if it isn't working out talk to your teacher about your needs and if neccessary, change teachers (but give it some time first).

4. Will you stick to it? Too many players of all ages get frustrated and drift away. If it what you want to do, make a committment. Write down a set of three short term goals and a set of 3 long term goals. Post them where you can see them everyday and post them in your practice area. You should change you short term and long term goals as you accomplish them. (keep the old ones so you can mark your progress). Examples are as follows:

Short term: Learn the solo to Stairway, become proficient in X scale mode, practice 1/2 hour every day

Long Term: Play a live concert, become proficient enough with the modes to create complex solos, compose a complete song with lyrics and two guitar parts.

I hope this helps a little.

The Dog
Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde
Epiphone LP Custom
Squier Stratocaster (1989) - First Guitar
Squier Stagemaster FR
Stellar LP Copy
Ibanez Artcore 78T
Homemade 7 watt + custom cab
Peavey Classic 30 with 112 Ext.
Roland Blues Cube BC30
theluckydog124
Thanks! I'll post my response a bit later.

Others' opinions are welcome!