didn't know where to put this, so move it if its in the wrong place

I've got a Shure SM58 mic, and a couple of amps, nlong story short, i want to record songs with it. I play mostly metal. problem is I have no clue what to do to begin, i've looked on google and all I've got were links to other websites that had links to other websites...., i don't want to spend too much money

from what i know i need to buy an interface or something that will hook up to my comp.

i don't want to use a 4-track cuz most 4 tracks are tape based (unless i'm wrong, i am stupid i know that much, so i could be wrong), i want to record directly to computer

what hardware AND software would you guys recommend? pro tools is completely not necessary for what I want done, hell, I was going to say I want to use audacity (it is free after all) to record, but i just wanna hear what you guys think would be best

so yea, all i have is the shure mic and the amp and one kickass computer (ask for specs), i just want to know what to do next to record
get an interface, I need one too. Also should go in the riffs & recording section, but yeah, use Audacity until you get so experienced it doesn't fulfill your needs because it is really simple and not that bad
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Does your computer have a 1/8'' microphone input? If it does, get an adapter from 1/4'' (or whatever your microphone is) to 1/8'' and just record through the microphone. That's what my band does, it doesn't sound great, but it only costs like $1 or less for the adapter, and it's good enough.
Also, you can get recording software for free from download.com , I use some ghetto demo program called Crystal, and it let's you add multiple tracks and stuff.
This is pretty much the cheapest way possible to record.
Quote by wiliscool
Does your computer have a 1/8'' microphone input? If it does, get an adapter from 1/4'' (or whatever your microphone is) to 1/8'' and just record through the microphone. That's what my band does, it doesn't sound great, but it only costs like $1 or less for the adapter, and it's good enough.
Also, you can get recording software for free from download.com , I use some ghetto demo program called Crystal, and it let's you add multiple tracks and stuff.
This is pretty much the cheapest way possible to record.

Definitely get a basic pre-amp in between the mic and soundcard - you'll be surprised at how much better the quality will be.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
the pre-amps that are built into computer soundcards aren't enough for microphones.

The alternative is buying a complete audio interface for several hundred dollars. But if you take this route I would recommend buying a decent quality recording software to max out the potential of the interface. The software that typically comes with the interfaces aren't very good.
Quote by cptazad

i don't want to use a 4-track cuz most 4 tracks are tape based (unless i'm wrong, i am stupid i know that much, so i could be wrong)

you are. You can buy digital 4-track recorders. In fact i don't think most companies even make tape multitrack recorders any more. But if you want a direct connection to the computer then don't bother with one any way. Audacity should be fine as long as you do all your tracks in one take otherwise you'll end up with a hell of a lot of vurtual tracks. You can get a computer audio interface, however if you only have one mic there's not too much point in getting an expensive one. You can get a stereo one for about $100-200 that'll probably sound alright. Then if you want you can get another mic and record stuff in stereo. I assume your computer has firewire (all "kickass" computers do nowdays ) so try to get a firewire interface. You should get an XLR-XLR cable as well if you don't have one because an XLR-jack cable plugged into the "line" input of an interface will bypass the balancing process which will mean more unwanted noise and not as much signal.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by eddiehimself
you are. You can buy digital 4-track recorders. In fact i don't think most companies even make tape multitrack recorders any more. But if you want a direct connection to the computer then don't bother with one any way. Audacity should be fine as long as you do all your tracks in one take otherwise you'll end up with a hell of a lot of vurtual tracks. You can get a computer audio interface, however if you only have one mic there's not too much point in getting an expensive one. You can get a stereo one for about $100-200 that'll probably sound alright. Then if you want you can get another mic and record stuff in stereo. I assume your computer has firewire (all "kickass" computers do nowdays ) so try to get a firewire interface. You should get an XLR-XLR cable as well if you don't have one because an XLR-jack cable plugged into the "line" input of an interface will bypass the balancing process which will mean more unwanted noise and not as much signal.

Thank you so much for making the post to the point, its eveything I needed!! Thanks!

And thanks to the rest of you guys too, w/o the UG forums I'd be lost when it comes to anything music related haha

@eddiehimself: what interface would you recommend for 100-200 dollars? I'm not too accustomed to the industry standards and such =(

edit: ok I found this on craigslist, its going for 160 canadian, what do you guys think?

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/ele/561736892.html

in case the link dies, here's what it says:

160.00 OBO This peice of equipment is not even 1 year old, and it never left my home studio.
WHAT A DEAL!
SPECS*
FRONT:
Mic - in (XLR) with GAIN
Guitar (unbalanced) input with gain
Headphone Out with master volume knob
PHANTOM POWER
Input SELECT
BACK:
2 firewire ports
2 x Balanced line Outputs
2 x unbalanced line inputs
S/PDIF Out & In

More specs (manufacturer)
http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca/FireWireSolo-main.html

A cool trick*
the unbalanced line inputs are actually stereo, so one is left and one is right* so the best ting to do (if your recording SAY some electric drums and a guitar. jamming) put the one instrument on the left, the other on the right... out from your mixer to this device and in a program you can have a stereo recording. 2 mono tracks seperate from each other L + R... i stumbled apon this.
Last edited by cptazad at Feb 4, 2008,
get a soundcard, if your in america you can get a cheap emu for about 50 dollars
Quote by chs170
Quote by Carl6661
Quote by chs170
Wow.

This is deep
Was the pun intended?
Actually no

E-married to Nikki82
get the second one, it has 2 mic inputs so if you decide to get another mic you can do stereo recordings as well as having 2 line inputs like the other one.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."