The guitar I currently have has 22 jumbo frets. But the guitar I'm looking at (New Ibanez SZR, in case anyone's wondering) has 22 Medium frets, And I was wondering how big of a difference is that gonna make in how easily the guitar is played, especially at the higher frets. I play Metal, so I play real fast, and I don't want to get the guitar if it's really gonna make it harder on my to do those fast solos up at the high frets. I sweep pick a lot, and just do fast riffing in general.

Current guitar is a Jackson RR3.

And if it IS gonna mess up my playing, could I get some recommendation on other guitars with a similar design? Preferably pretty affordable.
why dont you go try one out? thatd answer your question pretty well... personally i never really noticed a difference, as the small frets will always be small... so i adapt.
My first two guitars both had medium frets, so when I started playing Jacksons and ESPs at guitar stores it felt a little wierd, but now I don't even notice the difference. IMO it seems jumbo frets are better for soloing. So I'd say switching won't really be a problem, and you'll get used to it. Especially if you own it.

And if you play metal, I'd say 4/5 metal guitarists (Maybe more) are using some type of guitar (Jackson, ESp, Schecter w/e) w/jumbo frets.
with jumbo frets, you cant mash the note or you go sharp. but you do have more room for better string grip. better for bends.

some guys find jumbo frets get in the way on fast runs, but it's all what you're used to.

ive got both, and if i HAD to choose, id pick medium.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Assuming the frets are long enough, the height becomes the most critical dimension in affecting your style. Jumbo and medium refer to the width, which probably has the least impact on your playing or tone. The beauty of "another" guitar is that it's "different" than the one you already have. I believe the more guitars one plays, the better one becomes as an overall player. Ultimately if you're concerned about being able to play this guitar you shouldn't get it.
Quote by jj1565
with jumbo frets, you cant mash the note or you go sharp. but you do have more room for better string grip. better for bends.

some guys find jumbo frets get in the way on fast runs, but it's all what you're used to.

ive got both, and if i HAD to choose, id pick medium.

If you have a heavy touch then you're probably going to want to stay away from really big frets. You can mash strings sharp but the extra height off the board does give a little bit easier of a grip when bending. They don't make much of a difference to me but they are something I would think you would want to try before buying. I've never tried a scalloped board but I would have to think the effect is similar but more extreme.
its a big difference(i know because my GSA60 has medium frets and my RG350EX has jumbo) but you can easily get used to them
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350