Hi, i need an amp that can do bedroom playing but also jamming with a drummer.

Now it needs to be able to do metal and this is what i primarily play. a good clean would be great too.

I have about £250 to spend on an amp and was thinking of either getting the Roland Cube 60 or one of the Laney LC or VC series.

I know the laneys cannot do the heavy stuff on their own but i do own a Hughes and Kettner Warp factor Distortion pedal and a OD pedal, i also own an behringer eq pedal.

i will mostly be playing at low to medium volumes with like i say, would like ti be heard over a drummer.

what do you guys think?
well theyd all be loud enough to get over a drummer, and youre probably better off with a tube but id say youd definitely need to uses your overdrive with those laneys
Roland 60 mate. They are pretty much made for metal, and have 5 or 6 modeling amps with different distortion tones.
The clean channel is also breathtaking, as is the acoustic simulator.
The "Power Squeezer" function is tailor made for bedroom players and lets you keep mad distortion tones at low levels.
Yo bro.
Quote by Joel.
Roland 60 mate. They are pretty much made for metal, and have 5 or 6 modeling amps with different distortion tones.
The "Power Squeezer" function is tailor made for bedroom players and lets you keep mad distortion tones at low levels.

that's basically how roland describes it... and i tend to agree with it i own the 30 version
Quote by Dillona
I think I want to have sex with you.

On topic: No, I haven't met any famous artists.

ofcourse i laughed xD

Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah we're all dead now. Turns out we've been in hell all along.

About the LHC

Quote by Joel.

cube 60 doesn't have power squeezer
Quote by stevea
Laney 15 is too loud for bedroom - hence why i'm selling mine!!

is this true anyone else?
Go with the Laney, its a better long term investment unless you are not a serious player. It will also bring your pedals to life. And with your pedals you wont have to crank it either.
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by Sepulturick
is this true anyone else?

Well, you can't crank it & 'drive it' in the bedroom, it's way too loud - unless I'm missin a trick?!
Cubes are nice but only for the bedroom, I would have to go with a Laney tube combo. You have a distortion pedal and tubes do (contrary to what some believe) sound great at low volumes. The dynamics are just going to be different.
Quote by uldhppi
Cubes are nice but only for the bedroom, I would have to go with a Laney tube combo. You have a distortion pedal and tubes do (contrary to what some believe) sound great at low volumes. The dynamics are just going to be different.

i'm not going to agree on this...
i heard the Laney doesn't sound good at low volumes. while some tube amps can soud good at lower volumes, i have read the laney doesn't. same with my Blues deluxe, it really doesn't sound good at low volumes, so i always have to put it louder than i actually want to to get those dynamics

TS, honestly, i recommend a cube.
Quote by The red Strat.
i heard the Laney doesn't sound good at low volumes. while some tube amps can soud good at lower volumes, i have read the laney doesn't. same with my Blues deluxe, it really doesn't sound good at low volumes, so i always have to put it louder than i actually want to to get those dynamics

Yup, gott agree there. It's too loud to be appreciated at low volumes, hence why i'm takin a loss & sellin mine to replace with somethinf smaller, & believe me, that hurts! I can understand why you'd want a tube above ss, but not if you're not gonna get full benefit. you could buy a smaller tube & mic for gigs?
You guys break my heart. I have no experience with Laneys. My Valveking 50 watt sounds really good at low volumes. Maybe another choice to consider.
Caveat: I don't play modern metal, so these guys know more about the sound you want than I do.
Quote by The red Strat.

At anything below 1, the Laney has a poor OD.

Anything above, it sounds great.

The cleans sound good at anything above like 0.3....

But a VC15 at 1 is still right on the edge of bedroom practice volumes.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by uldhppi
You guys break my heart. I have no experience with Laneys. My Valveking 50 watt sounds really good at low volumes. Maybe another choice to consider.
Caveat: I don't play modern metal, so these guys know more about the sound you want than I do.

Damn, the Valveking sounds good on low?!! I was gonna buy that & was talked out of it!! Now I'm confused, cos I was set on a 5 watt hot rodded EVJ!!

The Laney's a crackin amp, it just doesn't cut it on low, & I don't play metal either!!
^^+12

The VC deffinately will not do metal, if your looking in the realms of more classic metal like Ozzy, Maiden stuff, then a booster will work with it.

But if you're looking at moderner stuff, try the LC. A bit more gain on tap too. They're both great amps for the money and sound much better than the cube.

You can use them in your bedroom, just you wont get the best out of them.

Once again, VC/LC > VK. /elitism Forlz.
So i guess if i am honest with myself, virtually all of my distortion will be coming from a pedal. is this such a bad thing? i can get either of the laneys for near the price of the cube and while the cubes distortion may be good at low levels i can't help but think the tone of a tube amp with pedal will be almost like using a solid states distortion capabilities.

i actually used to own an lc15 and i cannot for the life of me remember exactly why i got rid of it or how it sounded at low volumes. all i do remember is that the ibaez valbee beat the laney all ends up for cleans!! and perhaps more obviously, distortion.this is at lower volumes though, the valbee did not cut it for playing metal rhythm with friends though.

its a bit of an odd situation i am in here, its like i know i prefer tube tone and kind of have my heart set on going tube again but at the same time i will be gutted if i struggle for metal.

Tube + distortion pedal at low volume > solid state distortion low volume?
Last edited by Sepulturick at Feb 4, 2008,
i think you should try the laneys with your pedals. if you do and they still don't do metal to your satisfaction, go with the cube. EDIT: also, the valveking that uldhippi recommended is worth a look too. it'll do metal better (on its own) than the laney vc... not too sure about the LC. but it's more like £280...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try them out seriously. You can get anything up to whatever gain levels you desire if you have the right pedals. And the warp factor should be more than adequate.
ok guys, thanks for your help. i will order a brand new laney lc15 or vc15 and then use the shops returns policy.

do you think the warmer nature of a vc will help smooth out or perhaps warm the sound from a distortion pedal?

also how does the peavey classic 30 compare to the laneys?

also what do you people thin of something like this to help control a tube amps volume?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fender-marshall-peavey-amp-too-LOUD-for-your-bedroom_W0QQitemZ150212416993QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Last edited by Sepulturick at Feb 4, 2008,
classic 30 is decent... i prefer the laney vc30, and it's cheaper in the UK, but certainly it's worth a try if you can find one easily. you might prefer it to the vc.

that volume thing sounds like a gip. i could be wrong, but how would something in the fx loop (which is before the power tubes) help the low volume sound of the amp? surely an attenuator (which comes between output transformer and speakers) would work better? much more expensive of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm curious to know whether the "Control Freak" works.......
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
Quote by Sepulturick
ok guys, thanks for your help. i will order a brand new laney lc15 or vc15 and then use the shops returns policy.

do you think the warmer nature of a vc will help smooth out or perhaps warm the sound from a distortion pedal?

also how does the peavey classic 30 compare to the laneys?

also what do you people thin of something like this to help control a tube amps volume?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/fender-marshall-peavey-amp-too-LOUD-for-your-bedroom_W0QQitemZ150212416993QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Utter **** dont bother with it.
The Laney is a great amp.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
do i need an fx loop? also how do many of you guys go about playing at night? do you have cheap little amps with a headphone socket or do some of you buy a cheap multi fx unit with a headphone socket?
I have the Laney-LC50 right now on loan since my Randall RG50TC broke. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I really do not like the tone compared to my Randall. I have a Metal Muff but I can't find a good setting that I like. The cleans on it are good though.

The cleans on my Randall are kinda fuzzy is there anyway to clear them up. I don't use the clean channel lots but I'm just wondering in case I ever do.
"Waltz it up! The pit is it!"
i'm just thinking of buying a cheap little roland cube now. especially now my budget has taken a hit due to car troubles and me being unemployed!!