So, it looks like I'm going for the good ol' VJ. I've got a question though:

With an overdrive pedal, is it possible for this amp to be pushed into a heavy, warm, thinck overdrive / distortion (think Dream Theater - TDEN)?

Is that possible aswell with modding - for example - could I add a switch for gain, and a pot for gain aswell easily? Keep in mind that I'm a very accurate solderer, but am hopeless at finding what resistors / caps are which, etc (but my dad could help with that). Is it fairly safe to say that I couldn't completely stuff the amp by modding?

And finally, should I get the head and buy a cheap cab (or use one of my huge old 80's stereo speakers)?

Thanks!
As long as you hve high output pickups, it can be easily done.

With your modding, don't bother with a gain pot. Once you add a master volume (both volumes simply control pre-amp gain in different sections of the 12AX7) it makes the pot useless.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Valve Junior + DC Solid Metal= Metal tones
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Yeah, you can push it into metal territory but it will probably be more classic 80's metal style tones. When I had mine, I used to get classic Marshall-y style vintage metal sounds every time I tried to push it that far. I even modded the hell out of mine and used various OD's to try and get modern metal tones, but the only way I could get close was to skip the natural break-up of it and go with two distortion boxes running at once into it.
I was able to get acceptable metal tones out of my VJ only after using a ZVex 'Box of Metal' and my guitar with BKP Nailbombs (very high output passive pickups). I strongly recommend the ZVex BoM as it has a built in EQ and noise gate that help to shape the tone and control the inevitable feedback.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
I've only got a small budget, so a BoM is way out of my league. I'm using an HSS strat, through a Boss OS-2 to a RockTek EQ-9.

Thanks for your help, looks like I'm set for the VJ! :P
Maybe get a nice distortion pedal instead of messing with the amp. I wouldn't mess w/ my amp and I'm decent at soldering.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Just keep it stock, and toss an EHX Muff in front of it. And man, with that setup, my amp runs HOT!

It's what I do, and I love my tone. Think of Tony Iommi's tone on "Into The Void" or "Sweet Leaf".
you might as well just get a pedal for it. it takes them very well.
Ive never thought the vj worked good at all for metal no matter what you put in front of it. If you are looking for metal tone dont go for that amp.
Quote by paranormal5150
Ive never thought the vj worked good at all for metal no matter what you put in front of it. If you are looking for metal tone dont go for that amp.

For death or black metal, it won't. For most other kinds of metal, it most certainly will.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
Just keep it stock, and toss an EHX Muff in front of it. And man, with that setup, my amp runs HOT!

It's what I do, and I love my tone. Think of Tony Iommi's tone on "Into The Void" or "Sweet Leaf".

+1

I'm using one of the cleanest amps on earth (Fender Vibro Champ) and with the Metal Muff I can play 80's rock, modern metal, and everything in between.

The pedal's EQ also comes in really handy when using a smaller tube amp with limited controls.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by diditfortehlulz
For death or black metal, it won't. For most other kinds of metal, it most certainly will.

exactly
Quote by dudetheman
+1

I'm using one of the cleanest amps on earth (Fender Vibro Champ) and with the Metal Muff I can play 80's rock, modern metal, and everything in between.

The pedal's EQ also comes in really handy when using a smaller tube amp with limited controls.

I've never had a chance to use the Metal Muff before.

I just use the regular ol' Big Muff Pi, and it has waaay more gain than I need, so the MM must be even more extreme (like that's possible).
I got the mini halfstack of the Vjr. I placed an EHX metal muff in front of it, and sitting right in front of the amp with the amp volume on maybe 1, it sounds good playing Some Slayer or Metallica in front of it. I don't really use the top boost on the metal muff, but its there if I ever want to. Good set up and I am using a cheapo Dean ML X with it.
Quote by dudetheman
+1

Ya, but for some reason i find that Fender clean channels are easier to boost in to metal territory than the VJ...don't really know why
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by BGSM
I'm not death or black metal, at all. Dream Theater metal.

You'll be just fine with the VJ, then.
I'm down with damage control to buy try a sivler dragon its a little cheaper and should get the job done
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
As an owner of a VJ who's been modding it for more gain for a few months, I'd really reccomend another amp. The VJ's natural tendancy is to get looser and messier as it gets louder and more distorted, with all three of the gain improvement mods I've tried. It just won't do tight, heavy prog metal.

IF you had the time and perseverence to instal an octal socket, put in 6V6, and re-work the voicing of the whole thing, then you could do it. But I'd vote for a Palomino V8 with an OD. My V16 is better for metal on its own than then my VJ with all it's mods.
Is a Palomino similarly priced to a VJ?

EDIT: Also, could I plug in a generic stereo speaker to the head as a cab, as long as the ohm's rating matches? Will it sound like **** if I do?
Last edited by BGSM at Feb 4, 2008,
It will sound like ass. Your going to end up paying minimum $200 for a cab here in australia, so no matter what your heading for bad tone. Just get the combo, its the same price.
Quote by kyrreca
If your EQ looks like this your audience will look like this
Combo it is then.

Is the.spine.surf's right?

I'll go and try them out, then I'll know if I'm going for it or not.
I'd actually reccomend the head, the combo is kind of boxy sounding, and does nasty things at high volumes (where the VJ sounds best). You can mutate an old combo into a cab, and be better off than the stock speaker in the VJ combo.