So we've been stuck with "Toucan Broadband" for the last year. And it's pretty freakin awful.

our 'up to 8meg' typically sits at 1.9meg, I know it's 'up to' and you shouldn't expect the full whack, but less than a quarter???

Plus, they claim to limit traffic only at 'peak hours' of 5pm-11pm, however it's more like 4pm-midnight.

So basically I can't game within those hours because they limit my traffic, I can't download stuff (legally or illegaly) and even youtubing is painfully slow.

But our contract is up in March (**** yeah!) So can anyone recommend me some decent UK ISPs, preferably with no (or pretty high) download/upload limits, no traffic limiting and preferably costing <£20

Also it'd be preferable they weren't on This list of bad ISPs.

Cheers!
We've had BT for years and never had any problems with it. We have up to 4 meg and its usually 3.2meg. altho thats gonna depend on how far u are from an exchange. As for it limiting bittorrent. we all use bitcommet and its not exactly slow. 500kbps on some files.

Dont know the cost tho, dad works for them so we get it for like £3 or something stupid
sky's also good, and u get TV with it

,--.-'-,--.
\ /-~-\ /
/ )' a a `( \
( ( ,---. ) )
THIS WAS MEANT TO BE A PIG
\ `(_o_o_)' /
\ `-' /
| |---| |
[_] [_]
Sky look good for prices but I think that is with their phone and television services. Avoid Virgin/Telewest at all costs, poor providers and it's ****e
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

Virgin Media rolls, pretty cheap, reliable and easy to connect a 360 or whatever to.

DO NOT CHOOSE TALK TALK, IT LICKS ARSE
"If you don't show it, I cannot grope it."

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.."
you arent going to get a broadband connection with no traffic limiting (shaping) and no download limits

hell, im paying £35 for 8mbps, 40gb, unshaped (fast.co.uk)
simple fact is, you will have to pay a lot more and have a download limit if you want no traffic limiting
Last edited by Snapple at Feb 4, 2008,
Virgin Media is by far the current leader of braodband services in the UK at present. Be weary of where you live though as some places in the UK are somewhat dodgy
I dont think Virgin Media are reliable enough in my area and I'd rather have sky but hey ho, beggers cant be choosers.
.:: Current Setup::.

ESP Ltd Viper 50
Line 6 Spider II 30W
Fender Squire Acoustic Guitar
Encore LP Copy
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Axl B35 Bass Amp

That list is ****ing wank if it's meant to be worst providers... They don't even mention the absolute farce that is Orange Broadband. Virgin are good if you can get the cable service instead of ADSL, if you cant get cable just prey you live close to the exchange. I've been hearing good things about o2 but I don't know if its launched yet.

I've got Virgin 20mb at the moment which usually runs at between 10 and 15 so I'm quite impressed, get it and 400mins of free phone calls for £30 a month, had to argue with them after being a customer for like 6 years to get that deal though.
Last edited by faultyy at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by freedoms_stain
So we've been stuck with "Toucan Broadband" for the last year. And it's pretty freakin awful.

our 'up to 8meg' typically sits at 1.9meg, I know it's 'up to' and you shouldn't expect the full whack, but less than a quarter???

Plus, they claim to limit traffic only at 'peak hours' of 5pm-11pm, however it's more like 4pm-midnight.

So basically I can't game within those hours because they limit my traffic, I can't download stuff (legally or illegaly) and even youtubing is painfully slow.

But our contract is up in March (**** yeah!) So can anyone recommend me some decent UK ISPs, preferably with no (or pretty high) download/upload limits, no traffic limiting and preferably costing <£20

Also it'd be preferable they weren't on This list of bad ISPs.

Cheers!

I use them as well, and they're pretty shoddy for the most part. I used to get random service cut outs where things would just stop working for a few days and they could never work out what was wrong, things would just fix themselves. This was normally following endless time spent calling their £1 a minute support line that I swear was in India, and having call back repeatedly after they had to hang up to test the line (which meant getting a new person and having to explain to them everything and what the previous guy did...)

I was going to switch as I was paying like £16 for 5MB unlimted, though a month after my contract ended and I was looking around, they rang me up and said they could give me 8mb for £14. Anyway considering that most unlimited services are like in the £20 range I figure what the heck. Haven't had any problems since the upgrade though because of my area the speed only ever hits 6mb. My only beef with them is that peak hour rule which says that it's unlimted but if you go over a certain amount downloaded (& uploaded I found after doing some heavy torrent seeding...) in a week between 6pm-11pm, they send you and email telling you they're putting you on a shared connection with other 'heavy' users. When it was 5mb the limit was like 1gb, and now it's like 1.5gb (considering that I might download 2gb in a couple hours occasionally this can be annoying...) Also Tiscali (who toucan is a front of) has some weird issues from 6pm-11pm making it so I often can't connect to games like COD4 or use P2P (which apparently they're sorting after a bunch of complaints)

Generally I think the speed thing is more a case of the quality of the cables in the area and distance from the telephone exchange. There was a site I used once to determine the max download speed for my area based on entering postcode, can't remember it, though I think most ISPs will tell you how fast you can get in your area (generally combined as faster upload speeds usually means a slower download due to just general stupidity on the ISPs side)

To be honest there aren't many ISPs that do cheap 8MBs (under £20) without some form of catch (ie limited, part of a package, terrible upload speed, etc) I noticed one or two, but found it hard to find reviews and comments about them as they were fairly unknown smaller ISPs, so I couldn't check how reliable they were.

I hear cable is fairly decent but my road hasn't got cable installed yet (you'd figure they'd put it in by now after my 7 years of being there...)

Edit: This seems to be a decent enough test for the area speed:

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=16541&s_cid=con_FURL_broadband/speedtest
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
BT is BY FAR the effing best I've ever used, and I've had 128k ISDN, 256k, 512k broadband, 1mb and now a 2mb line.
I'm on BT and it's fine. Not the best, but it works fine for most games I play. Just be wary of your computers capabilities, and don't crank graphics on a game it can't handle then blame it on the connection.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I have 20MB Virgin Media, the speed has been pretty much consistant ... barely any downtime and no problems at all.

It all depends on your local area and how close you are to the nearest local exchange box.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.