Trying to help my brother out with his next guitar. We're looking at some Schecters or maybe an Ibanez. In the 600-1000 American range, No Floyd Rose. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks alot.
go ibanez, i love schecters' looks, but the ibanez's playability just rawks compared to the schecters, much thinner necks, ive got the rg-1527, which i would suggest, however its got a floyd rose, im sure you could probably find an ibanez like it with a set bridge, mine cost around 750
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
From what I've heard, you have to pay big money to get a Schecter that is even worth playing... Plus, Schecter has a very one-sided sound, like that Avenged Sevenfold kinda hard rock sound, which isn't a bad sound at all, but Ibanez is very versatile in the playing styles that you can play with them, I have an Ibanez myself, just not a seven string, but I would like to get one... look and see if you could find a seven string Steve Vai model, you wont be disappointed
^Where do you get your info from??? Schecter make great models for low prices, and are considered very versatile by pretty much anybody who owns one and took the time to tell me about it.

As for TS, seek the legion!
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by SolitaryMan422
From what I've heard, you have to pay big money to get a Schecter that is even worth playing... Plus, Schecter has a very one-sided sound, like that Avenged Sevenfold kinda hard rock sound, which isn't a bad sound at all, but Ibanez is very versatile in the playing styles that you can play with them, I have an Ibanez myself, just not a seven string, but I would like to get one... look and see if you could find a seven string Steve Vai model, you wont be disappointed

You realize that your amp is responsible for 90% of your tone, Ja?

Also, the JEMs cost an absolute bomb. Way out of TS's budget.

Please find out what you're talking about before you go on a huge lecture.
Quote by dead-fish
^Where do you get your info from??? Schecter make great models for low prices, and are considered very versatile by pretty much anybody who owns one and took the time to tell me about it.

As for TS, seek the legion!

Yeah im not calling schecter's bad guitars, i love em, great guitars, i just prefer my 7 string ibanez over a hellraiser, ive tried em both, and the ibanez has a thinner neck, making it more comfortable and easier to sweep and whatnot
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
C7 Hellraiser/Blackjack. If you want more versatility, go for the Blackjack (not the ATX model) and get some passive SDs.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
You could go for the RG7321, its not as good quality as the RG1527 (stat for stat anyway) but its got a hardtail, and legionairs love its value for money.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I couldn't say, but you could try PM'ing MESAexplorer, I know he has one.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by EZLN libertad
Yeah im not calling schecter's bad guitars, i love em, great guitars, i just prefer my 7 string ibanez over a hellraiser, ive tried em both, and the ibanez has a thinner neck, making it more comfortable and easier to sweep and whatnot

You don't have to convince me, I'm an RG7321 owner myself, and prefer it over the Schecters I've tried. But Schecter do make good guitars, and TS would be doing a mistake to completely ignore them because someone gave him bad info.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
ESP LTD SC607

我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
I've found that most who prefer a heavier sound either go Schecter or Ibanez, but not so much for the sound, but more the playability. I love Ibanez and think they're phenomenal guitars, but I prefer Schecter, simply because the necks are more comfortable for me to play, and if you're going 7 string, the playability to your style would be very important, so you'd have to really go and try out the neck. I'd definitely support either Ibanez or Schecter for the 7 string, though I'm sure there's more out there I haven't played, so all I can say is, try out all you can and then make a decision, we can only help lead you places you may not have thought of, and i'm sure you've thought of Schecter and Ibanez.
i have been researching some seven strings, and really the only big quantitative value for difference between brands of 7 string makers (schecter, ibanez, etc.) is that schecter uses a longer scale length on their seven strings than on their six strings, while the other manufacturers use the same for both.
schecters use a 26.5inch scale, compared to normal guitars such as fender strats and most shreddy guitars with 25.5, gibsons i think use an even shorter 24.75.
what that means, is that for playability, the schecter might be a little harder to play on the lower frets, due to the increased separation, but i imagine that upper register playing would be easier and less cramped.
tonally, this will make the guitar and especially the low b string sound tighter and more controlled attack.
my 2 cents