I'm trying to get that kind of marty friedman type playing when he solo's and I'm having a hard time pulling ideas out to do it, so I figure if I learn some of his good solo's from songs I can get the feel of it...besides um..the rust in peace album, does anybody have any suggestions of songs he played in with a great solo? thanks ahead of time for whoever helps.
if you look on google you can find a video of his that tells you some of his techniquers and stuff look on google video for it
Sig space available, give me some praise
Go to google video and find his instructional video called "Melodic Control" he basically explains all his techniques there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
its pretty easy to copy marty! follow all the chords and dont play diatonic but change the scales with every chord. pre bend notes a half step lower.
Quote by torturer6067
its pretty easy to copy marty! follow all the chords and dont play diatonic but change the scales with every chord. pre bend notes a half step lower.

I dont think it is, his style is very unique.
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Quote by Mental-lica
I dont think it is, his style is very unique.

ha? thats why its hard to copy it???? you realy nailed it here my friend!
Quote by torturer6067
ha? thats why its hard to copy it???? you realy nailed it here my friend!

Look its just my opinion. Jesus Christ you people!

Unique as in hard to copy... I find his solos difficult to play.
Quote by powerhead

Quote by beadhangingOne

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Last edited by Mental-lica at Feb 7, 2008,
Quote by Mental-lica

He's got a very unique style to be sure but I think once you get your head round the way he thinks about soloing (which he explains pretty damn well in Melodic Control) it would be pretty easy to come up with a decent imitation. Yeah, his solos on record are damn hard though, position shifts and weird bends all over the place.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Mental-lica
Look its just my opinion. Jesus Christ you people!

yea i agree, i can barley play any of his stuff on rust in peace (i can play hangar 18 but it doesnt sound that great)
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I think the solo in Tornado of Souls is not that difficult to copy, but its solos like Symphony of Destruction with steady speeds between picking and hammer ons and pull offs that kill me because my hammer ons and pull offs are faster than my picking so I play the hammer ons too fast and the picked notes too slow
Quote by powerhead

Quote by beadhangingOne

Quote by silversoulcage
Quote by Mental-lica
I think the solo in Tornado of Souls is not that difficult to copy, but its solos like Symphony of Destruction with steady speeds between picking and hammer ons and pull offs that kill me because my hammer ons and pull offs are faster than my picking so I play the hammer ons too fast and the picked notes too slow

Hah, yeah right, Tornado of Souls is one his most difficult solos, and just about any of his solos are hard to play well, key word well.

This is not just directed at you.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by The Virtuoso
Hah, yeah right, Tornado of Souls is one his most difficult solos, and just about any of his solos are hard to play well, key word well.

This is not just directed at you.

When I mean not as difficult to copy I mean that its diffrent from some of his other styles where steady rythyms kick your ass where in this one hammer ons are faster than picking. I dont think its too difficult except for the part where you have to stretch your fingers a ****ing long way.
Quote by powerhead

Quote by beadhangingOne

Quote by silversoulcage