At my only local guitar shop it costs £40 to setup a guitar. That seems very expensive to me. How much does it cost you to get your guitar setup? And how long does it take... i.e. do you leave your guitar at the shop for a week or do they do it while you wait.

The services included in my local shop setups are: restring - adjust truss rod - adjust action - recut topnut - set intonation reference to cromatic tuner - check all hardware.

EDIT: I just realised you have to pay for the strings aswell... so lets call it £45.
Last edited by Karmaface at Feb 4, 2008,
It costs me about 10 euro's for strings.

Oh, and the time it takes to put them on and then check if I need any more adjustments. From 10 to maybe 40 minutes (Though, usually only 5 minutes of tweaking).
The one I go to is $50 for a TOM/hardtail, and $60 for a Floyd Rose (£25 and £30 respectively, I believe) and they do a lot: thorough cleaning/polishing, truss rod, bridge (intonation/action) adjustment, pickup height adjustment, electronics check, restringing with strings of your choice (string price included with the charge), and (I think) a finishing with FastFret. Took about 2 business days, last time I dropped mine off.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Last edited by DrNick at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by Karmaface
At my only local guitar shop it costs £40 to setup a guitar. That seems very expensive to me. How much does it cost you to get your guitar setup? And how long does it take... i.e. do you leave your guitar at the shop for a week or do they do it while you wait.

The services included in my local shop setups are: restring - adjust truss rod - adjust action - recut topnut - set intonation reference to cromatic tuner - check all hardware.

EDIT: I just realised you have to pay for the strings aswell... so lets call it £45.

Can you do it yourself? No...therefore it's not expensive.

£40 is about right for a setup these days, give or take a fiver.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Most places I know here in the states charge about $35.00 to $40.00 for a set up. That's one reasone to learn how to do it yourself especially if you have several guitars and gig a lot.
Costs 60 for a Floyd setup here in Toronto + strings
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
The local shops (Illinois, USA) I've seen charge between $30-$50 for a setup.

Includes (on average, only one shop I know does the fret filing as included in their setup):
Truss-rod adjustment
Restring (plus cost of strings)
Action adjustment
Fretboard cleaning/conditioning
Fret filing
Pickup adjustment
Intonation
Electronics check
Cleaning/polishing

I do everything on my own now except for filing/leveling frets. I myself usually charge between $30-$40, plus cost of strings for a restring. I also ask that people come back for a recheck in a couple days (usually if I have to mess with a truss-rod) for fine adjustments at no charge, as long as they come back within a reasonable amount of time.

I figured I'd save money learning to do it myself, and now I manage to make some pocket change from it now and then.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Last edited by Hakael at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by Karmaface
Seems it's much cheaper in america.

True, however once you've paid for your flight and the cost of transporting your guitar then the financial benefit is pretty much nullified even if you save yourself a little by not staying overnight
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My local guitar shop gave me a shock when they wanted $200 or a full guitar setup. So much for being in Sweden with a guitar...
Quote by Karmaface
How long do they usually take your guitar for? 1 hour, 3 days, a week?

One of the local places can turn it around in a day, depending on how busy they are.

Usually takes me just an hour or so depending on how much work a guitar really needs and the type of guitar itself.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
It cost me $50 and I only had to leave it there for one day.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
My guitar teacher did mine for free one day during the lesson, it took him about 15 minutes and he explained what he was changing. Granted its probably not setup the 100% best it could be, but its a hell of a lot better than it was stock.
Chain:
Fingers -> Schecter Damien FR -> Fulltone OCD -> ABY Box -> Bugera V22 / Peavey 6505+
i once took in my pacifica cos the wiring and output jack were messed up. i didn't expecct it, but they did a complete setup, replaced the ouput jack, cleaned the pots/pickup switch, fixed the wiring, cleaned/polished, restrung etc. for $35 AUD. i was shocked at the price, i expected it to be higher at a chain store.
Quote by Karmaface
Seems it's much cheaper in america.

Are the American prices quoted including any sales taxes?
Oh, now I've gone and spilled my tea. This really won't do at all.
Most shops Ive been to dont charge tax on stuff like this. You pay with cash and it doesnt go on their books. But many on UG dont pay for this stuff as we do it ourselves. Its not hard to do and once you learn you will ask why you ever paid someone to do it for you.
Quote by CarpUK
Are the American prices quoted including any sales taxes?

sales tax isnt that much. i think the highest sales tax in the us is 9.4% in tennesee. you we'll just round that up to 10 cents per dollar. add 4 bucks for tax to the 40 they said.

and i can set upeverything on a guitar, i still sometimes have trouble with the floyd when changing string sizes but i figure it out eventually. its cheapest to learn to do it urself. 30-50 bucks per setup will add up after a while
Dean Vendetta XM Custom Build
Guitar - Ebay 20/20
Pickups - GFS H/O Hex 40/40
Tuners - Sperzel locking 59.99/59.99
Bridge- Tone Pros - 89/89

the plan. take a 20 dollar guitar and make it sound decent

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
£6.50

The shop I got my Tokai at has a free setup deal for the life of the guitar, you just have to pay for the string =)

And they will set up any other guitar you have if you are nice enough

Gear

Tokai FA70 (My Korean ES-175)

Amplitube

Artisan 30 fund: £50/£1200
Learn to do it yourself and you wont get ripped off, like it sounds from most of you who are paying more the 20 dollars.
lol as if youd pay someone else to setup your guitar for you, learn how to do it yourself, it's not hard
I adjust action, check the electronics, restring, tune, adjust the Floyd Rose, etc. in just over an hour. Sometimes it takes a bit longer if I'm trying out new strings. I definitely wouldn't pay 40 dollars for under 2 hours worth of work.
If you have the money, get it done. That's about right. If not, then use that money to buy the supplies you need to do it yourself.
I would advise learning to do it yourself, that way you can get the setup exactly how you want it, and not set up to a "standard" adjustment which the guitar tech will tweak it to.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
You guys have mentioned that you get your electronics checked during a setup. How exactly do they do that and why? (I'm slowly learning how to setup my guitar properly so trying to absorb everything :P )
Quote by 21Fretter
You guys have mentioned that you get your electronics checked during a setup. How exactly do they do that and why? (I'm slowly learning how to setup my guitar properly so trying to absorb everything :P )

It's simply the matter of making sure the knobs turn smoothly and do what they're supposed to. Nothing's loose. Removing the back plate and making sure all the connections are soldered properly and securely, again, nothing loose.

Loose connections can cause trouble later on if they come apart, like the guitar simply losing the ability to send a signal through to the amp, or just plain sounding funny.