Page 1 of 2
.. would never work in real life! Just this morning, as I lay thinking, the thought all of a sudden just came into my mind. Imagine this:

EVEN IF, a LASERBEAM would harness enough energy to travel many lightyears and still be powerful enough to destroy an entire planet, the beam would still travel with the speed of light, right?

Very right indeed. So, let's say we were going to blast the hell out of a planet circling around the nearest star (Alpha Centauri). If I remember correctly, the distance between us and AC is about 4,4 lightyears. Meaning the beam would have to travel over FOUR YEARS to destroy the planet. If we were living in a Star Wars universe, a scout would have already hyperspaced his ASS off, and the planet would be evacuated with no hurry at all, why should they, they've got four years! And that's only the closest star. The distance to other stars can EASILY be say 10000 lightyears. By that time the rebels would most likely be crushed, the Empire would have taken the planet, but wouldn't be able to build a base there for another 10000 years, because there would be a HUGE FRIKKING LASERBLAST incoming... in 10 millenia.

So, UNLESS and ONLY unless The Empire can think of a way to let a LASERBEAM travel into hyperspace, the rebels would just laugh their ASSES of!

Now there's some realism for you, Mister Lucas!
Military use of children?

Infantry.
thank you for crushing my fantasies and dreams

but i have wondered about that too. it's pretty weird, huh?
Death star wouldn't work in real life?

No. ****. Sherlock.

Edit: Not to forget the fact that you ignored the whole "hyperspace travel" thing without bothering to think about how it would work in real life.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
Well seeing as it's science fiction, I'm pretty sure they can have the LASERBEAM travel at whatever speed they so desire. They do use the force after all...

I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
I haven't seen the movie in a while, but were they lightyears away from their target when using the deathstar?
dude cmon its a movie where you can hear tie fighters explode in space, and there is no sound in space. so forget about the "it cannot happen because of whatever fact" and enjoy the awsomness of star wars
Quote by primusfan
if she's squatting over you it greatly increases the risk of breaking your dick in case it comes out. but that shouldn't be a problem for UGers because they all have 8" penises.
I just want to know if Darth Maul would have the tattoos if he came back as a blue ghost.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
....................................I....I'm just gonna leave now....
Couldn't the Death Star just move close to the planet then surprise laser attack it.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A poor Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Dave Mustaine Kill List:
Draken
WinterMadness79
Dirge Humani
MrGuitar123
RHCP94
Coins
Magnus_Maximus
Unless they used a fault in time-space. There is possibly many other dimensions out there. Besides, time-space isnt flat. It can be warped by planets and ****. Stephen Hawking could make that laserbeam.
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Quote by grunger
how much pot did you smoke when you woke up?

Well actually that was the night before, but still!

I think it's an amazing discovery, and about the hyperdrive thing, Wiki disagrees.
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Well, a laser isn't a point source, so it'll have the same power no matter how far away you are. it'd still take four years, though.
Star Wars movies were made durin the 70's and the 80's, some people were still thinking that the world would be like the Jetsons when they'd reach year 2000.

Now, I'm pretty sure everyone here who have seen Star Wars when they were young tried to Force Pull, Force Push or Force Choke someone or something, and never succeeded.

'Nuff said.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Kneusje
Well actually that was the night before, but still!

I think it's an amazing discovery, and about the hyperdrive thing, Wiki disagrees.

Wiki actually says nothing about the Death Stars propulsion system.
http://theforce.net/swtc/ds/propulsion.html

If it has no propulsion, why the hell would they have built it next to Alderaan and why was it not destroyed before.
Dude, you need a girlfriend or something.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by nebiru
Dude, you need a girlfriend or something.

Girlfriends tell you to shut up when you talk about cool stuff like Star Wars or Indiana Jones.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Gun

Fires bullets through hyperspace...

Quote by Kneusje
.. would never work in real life! Just this morning, as I lay thinking, the thought all of a sudden just came into my mind. Imagine this:

...yadda yadda...

Now there's some realism for you, Mister Lucas!

That's the main reason I guess they would appear right in front of the planet rather than shoot it from another system. Already been said, but it has hyperdrive, just moves really slowly compared to other ships (otherwise how did it get to Alderaan from where it was built to Yavin 4 in a different system?)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
guy above me is correct... it didn't just sit where it was and then shoot, it moved slowly from system to system... remember the scene in the first movie where they're waiting for it to get in range, because it has to go around Yavin (the planet) to get to Yavin 4 (the moon). And, obviously, it had just gotten in range when Luke managed to torpedo the hell out of the thing....
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
as with most things in Star Wars

just say the force did it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
umm, what if the laser when shot moves faster than the speed of light. Hell, by then if something like that is ever built they could possibly *increase* the speed of which light travels. Plus, there are just way too many outcomes. Plus the deathstar could always just appear right next of the planet (hyperspeed) then pretty say "Haha! Imma chargin mah lazer!"

First person to get the deathstar and make it shoopdawhoop get's several boxes of e-cookies.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
fenrir you legendary legend man

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a connection between intelligence and obesity? Hmmmmm...

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Minkaro
What? By hiding behind a nearby moon?

thats no moon.....its a space station
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by wiggy1988
as with most things in Star Wars

just say the force did it

yeah, darth can make the laser go faster then light speed because of his control of the force.

he is not powerful enough to bend the light beam though, or else lightsabers would be flaccid pool noodles and not the most dangerous toothbrushes ever.
Quote by fenrir182
umm, what if the laser when shot moves faster than the speed of light. Hell, by then if something like that is ever built they could possibly *increase* the speed of which light travels. Plus, there are just way too many outcomes. Plus the deathstar could always just appear right next of the planet (hyperspeed) then pretty say "Haha! Imma chargin mah lazer!"

First person to get the deathstar and make it shoopdawhoop get's several boxes of e-cookies.

A laser is light.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
A laser is light.

alright, then they could probably increase the speed of which light travels. No idea if this would be possible but hey the whole surprise rape idea would work too
Quote by Ichikurosaki
fenrir you legendary legend man

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a connection between intelligence and obesity? Hmmmmm...

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
imma guy who loves my physics. and anyonewho has studied it hard for years would know that realy there is no way to make ANYTHING travel faster than the speed of light.

even if u had a space ship that only needs... (mind the simple ness here,and lol at it if u will)
500 power points to travel at the speed of light, but the ship actually had 1000 power points, it would still be impossible for it for travel faster than the speed of light.

anyone who knows some basic physics theory knows that once u get an object to the speed of light, any more energy that is applied to that object gets converted to mass.

so bassically if ur in a ship thats going the speed of light, then put your foot to the floor and apply more energy, the ship will just get heavier, while remaining at the same speed.

but of course thats not to say u cant transport light, lasers or anything across the universe at a quicker RATE than the speed of light. theres all a matter of wormholes, blackholes, bending gravitational pulls, if u could somehow set up a system of wormholes to the planet u want to blow up which is 1000 light years away, theoretically u could get the laser there instantly.

but to set up a wormhole system so complex requires the knowledge we will never aquire any time soon
Quote by theguitarist
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galaxy_Gun

Fires bullets through hyperspace...

That's the main reason I guess they would appear right in front of the planet rather than shoot it from another system. Already been said, but it has hyperdrive, just moves really slowly compared to other ships (otherwise how did it get to Alderaan from where it was built to Yavin 4 in a different system?)

surely it could move the same speed as ay other ship, if not faster, since there are no external forces in space
Quote by imthehitcher
surely it could move the same speed as ay other ship, if not faster, since there are no external forces in space

Unfortunately I don't understand the complexities or physics of hyperdrive, but for whatever reason the Death star moves fairly slowly compared to other ships in terms of hyperdrive and unbelivably slow when it's in normal space (see Yavin 4. geeze talk about taking your time, maybe they would've hyperspaced closer to the damn moon if they realised they might get counterattacked...)

Edit: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperdrive

O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by maca-venagas
imma guy who loves my physics. and anyonewho has studied it hard for years would know that realy there is no way to make ANYTHING travel faster than the speed of light.

even if u had a space ship that only needs... (mind the simple ness here,and lol at it if u will)
500 power points to travel at the speed of light, but the ship actually had 1000 power points, it would still be impossible for it for travel faster than the speed of light.

anyone who knows some basic physics theory knows that once u get an object to the speed of light, any more energy that is applied to that object gets converted to mass.

so bassically if ur in a ship thats going the speed of light, then put your foot to the floor and apply more energy, the ship will just get heavier, while remaining at the same speed.

but of course thats not to say u cant transport light, lasers or anything across the universe at a quicker RATE than the speed of light. theres all a matter of wormholes, blackholes, bending gravitational pulls, if u could somehow set up a system of wormholes to the planet u want to blow up which is 1000 light years away, theoretically u could get the laser there instantly.

but to set up a wormhole system so complex requires the knowledge we will never aquire any time soon

really? I remember reading lately that scientists were recently able to accelerate the speed of light to the point where light was arriving at it's destination before it even left.
Quote by maca-venagas

That blew my mind, you crazy bastard!
Quote by Spamwise
really? I remember reading lately that scientists were recently able to accelerate the speed of light to the point where light was arriving at it's destination before it even left.

its a really weird complex thing. some scientists claim they can increase the speed of light, but really all they are doing is making an image of the light source appear in a different place. the physics are real weird and complicated, but they are not actually making that light travel faster than the speed of light, just using a different way of making it get there, as i said in my previous post, there are way to may things APPEAR like they have traveled at the speed of light, or just by using a series of shot cuts around the universe.

and even so, even if they did manage to get one beam in a lab going faster than the speed of light, there is absolutely no way to change the speed of light.
think about it, if the scientists did get that one light beam travely faster, does that mean that ALL light in the universe will then increase there speed to what the scientists made? of course not. all light wil always travel at the same speed, there is no way to change it.
Page 1 of 2