I do a lot of recording at home in front of my iMac computer, and the hum coming from my American Standard Stratocaster when playing in front of the LCD screen got so bad I went out and got some Fender SCN so-called noiseless pickups. Seems the pickups ain't so noiseless though, infact, there's still a great deal of hum when i'm recording... unless i'm prepared to play 20 foot away and on a right angle to the screen.

So what's the go? Is this false advertising? I know single coils are notorious for hum when near a TV or computer screen, but this is ridiculous, surely to claim they're noiseless you'd expect a general canceling of noise - ie - hum. I think i've been conned.
Pickups in general get noise when you're near a screen, single coils are just worse, unless you're getting hum when you're not standing near anything more than your amp then you got ripped; if they're quiet when you're just playing away from anything then you're fine.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
noiseless in general use

if you want to put your guitar near a heavy output electric device, thats your own fault
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
This thread fails.

Pickups will create noise when near a screen. Its inherent. Try turning the screen away when you record.
^^ or just turn off the screen for a moment. But yeah, put a guitar with humbuckers in front of a computer screen and it's the same thing.
I don't know much about that particular model Fender admittedly, but is the pickguard shielded on the inside? That may help a little, but like everyone else said, sit in front of a screen like that and you're just going to have to expect some noise.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
The pickguard has a postage stamp size of foil on the back. You need to really shield it with copper or aluminum tape for it to do anything.

I don't have any problem with my noiseless pickups, but they aren't cure-alls. I have full-size humbuckers that will buzz like mad when they're near a computer. That's like putting in ear plugs, standing next to a jet engine, and wondering why the sound still hurts your ears.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by ravenhaller
I do a lot of recording at home in front of my iMac computer, and the hum coming from my American Standard Stratocaster when playing in front of the LCD screen got so bad I went out and got some Fender SCN so-called noiseless pickups. Seems the pickups ain't so noiseless though, infact, there's still a great deal of hum when i'm recording... unless i'm prepared to play 20 foot away and on a right angle to the screen.

So what's the go? Is this false advertising? I know single coils are notorious for hum when near a TV or computer screen, but this is ridiculous, surely to claim they're noiseless you'd expect a general canceling of noise - ie - hum. I think i've been conned.

Humbuckers hum in front of TV screens - is that false advertising too? No, it's physics...pickups, noiseless or otherwise, work on electromagnetic induction. Therefore if you place them in a magnetic field, such as the one produced by a display, they'll make noise.

Playing 20 feet away from the screen is EXACTLY what you should be doing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Fluorescent bulbs give massive interference. From my understanding, LCD screens are back-lit by mini fluorescent tubes. Not only should you shield your guitar, but make sure you have a good cable going from the amp to the computer.
Well, if that's so, how come I can play my MIM Strat while sitting in my computer chair about 2 to 3 feet from my 22" LCD and right next to the PC. My amp sits right under my desk here too. Does this only effect high gain amplifiers?
Quote by Aziraphale
^^ or just turn off the screen for a moment. But yeah, put a guitar with humbuckers in front of a computer screen and it's the same thing.

eh no. i play my sg and the les paul infront of my computer all the time. the distance would probably be 2 feet away from the monitor. and i get absolutely zero hum from it.
Quote by waxbytes
Well, if that's so, how come I can play my MIM Strat while sitting in my computer chair about 2 to 3 feet from my 22" LCD and right next to the PC. My amp sits right under my desk here too. Does this only effect high gain amplifiers?

High gain settings would amplify the hum you get a lot more than a clean sound but if you listen closely it should still be there even on clean.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
To everyone telling me I have to expect hum near screens from my pickups - here's the facts in my world: my unmodified 1968 Les Paul Standard operates without any noticeable hum, yet my Strat, which has been upgraded by installing so-called noiseless pickups made in the modern age of 2007, are atrocious in comparison when near a screen... and i'm told that it's reasonable to have to play 20 feet away from my computer to achieve the same signal to noise ratio... now that's irony.

This is why i'm dissatisfied, these latest generation pickups promoted as being 'noiseless' should not be being surpassed by my 40-year-old LP in any way, shape or form.
Once again, this is physics - if you have a component that works on electromagnetic induction and put in a magnetic field you will get interference which will manifest itself as sound in the case of gutar pickups. Humbuckers cancel out certain frequencies and therefore are less subsceptible to interference but will still hum if placed in a magnetic field. Single coils are more prone to extraneous noise anyway, put them in a magnetic field you should expect noise whether ther'yre "noiseless" or not.

Noiseless means they have less inherent noise, it doesn't exempt them from the laws of physics that make them work in the first place. If you want to play guitar in front of the screen you're better off using the variax which has piezo transducers that don't use electromagnetic induction.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
get an ISP Decimator noise gate

i have one on my setup, and i play in front of a 46" LCD.........
Shamray Custom V
Jackson USA KV2 Korina
Charvel Model 1
Dean Custom-450
ENGL Powerball head
ENGL Blackmore head
Quote by Aziraphale

Umm. No. I am currently playing guitar surrounded by three monitors. Not a bit of hum.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by steven seagull
Once again, this is physics - if you have a component that works on electromagnetic induction and put in a magnetic field you will get interference which will manifest itself as sound in the case of gutar pickups. Humbuckers cancel out certain frequencies and therefore are less subsceptible to interference but will still hum if placed in a magnetic field. Single coils are more prone to extraneous noise anyway, put them in a magnetic field you should expect noise whether ther'yre "noiseless" or not.

Noiseless means they have less inherent noise, it doesn't exempt them from the laws of physics that make them work in the first place. If you want to play guitar in front of the screen you're better off using the variax which has piezo transducers that don't use electromagnetic induction.

lol is that why when i accidentally drop one of my earphone near the pickup of a strat it amplified out like a sterio
Quote by the mailman
noiseless in general use

if you want to put your guitar near a heavy output electric device, thats your own fault

+1

"Noiseless" pickups are specifically designed to reduce hum at 60 cycles. Computers, TV's, and radios all emit interferece at many, many for frequencies than that. Try copper shilding tape all over the inside of the control cavity.