Page 1 of 2
hey,

i just got a 12-string guitar for my bday today (23, yeah!), the only song i can think of that uses one (within rock) is stairway. anyone got any ideas for what i should learn to play on it, or other artists that use a 12string or whatever. or any tips/ideas/things i should know in general.

the strings are 0.8's according to the guy in the shop, apparently thats pretty thin.

Im a reasonably decent guitarist, and thought that getting a 12 might be interesting. its certainly different but im getting the hang of it now. was thinking of using it on some of my bands songs that are a kind of accoustic rhythm guitar with elec fills and chorus, to kind of fill it out.

thnx

(always love The Pit, people always have such good ideas )

/benjy

www.meettheescape.com
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
Keller Williams!!!!
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
39!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
john butler
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Hear My Train Comin' - Jimi Hendrix

EDIT-oh it has to be rock...
Quote by Caustic
If I didn't cuss so much, I'd be illiterate!

Quote by Will_Minus
Stupid people do stupid things. Don't be stupid, stupid.
Serenity by Godsmack. in the record version its just a 6 string but when they perform live Tony Rombola always uses a 12 string. So you should listen and try that song out if you like it.
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Wanted Dead or Alive - Bon Jovi. Cool lick right there.
Hard Luck Woman - KISS

A lot of general rock/americana is played with 12-strings somewhere in the mix. Try Tom Petty for example.
Cinderella - Heartbreak Station
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive
Eagles - Hotel California
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PAI3QgssxKA

Seriously.. Keller Williams. Do it.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by blackname13
silent man - dream theater

I didn't know that was a 12 string song?
Quote by Jackolas
I didn't know that was a 12 string song?

it's not

just fyi to people, not all acoustic songs work on a 12 string
:
BC Rich Bronze Warlock
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T
Fender CD-SCE140 Acoustic Electric
1962 Guild MKIII Classical
Happy birthday.

"Tangerine" by Zeppelin is a great 12 string song. The rhythm parts for "All Along the Watch Tower" are 12 string. A lot of Jeff Buckley songs are 12 string (granted electric, but still...). Basically, anything chordal will sound awesome.

Have fun with it
Hi, I'm Peter
Speaking of Jeff Buckley.. A lot of Tim Buckley's songs are acoustic twelve strings. Song to the Siren, for example.
Quote by vintage x metal

cheers guys, as always, the pit comes through for me

so basically its cool to play, and a bunch of legends use it, and its pretty common to use it mixed into songs to fill them out a bit and make them feel a bit magical :p

excellent!

/benjy

www.meettheescape.com
Hi I'm
Mr. JimBo R. Insane
Quote by mrjimborinsane
cheers guys, as always, the pit comes through for me

so basically its cool to play, and a bunch of legends use it, and its pretty common to use it mixed into songs to fill them out a bit and make them feel a bit magical :p

excellent!

/benjy

www.meettheescape.com

How come you put a link to your band when there's already a link in your sig?

There IS no 12 string is there?
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by craigcochrane
wish you were here by floyd

Pretty Boy Floyd?
Quote by vintage x metal

The Beatles!!!!
More Than A Feeling-Boston!!!!

Come on guys...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Knockin' on heavens door, Slash used a double neck on a live performance of it, so that should work
Quote by Cadj
Okay, big-T is a legend first and foremost

Quote by necrosis1193
You are awesome, Big T.

Quote by Trowzaa
Would like to publicly state that Big-T is my new God and Hero
Springsteen,
many many Led Zep songs
John Butler trio
some beatles songs (You've got to hide your love away comes to mind)
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Instead of that, try experimenting with songs originally intended for 6 string... as stated earlier, some won't work on a 12 all that well, but it will do you good to modify and improv to make them work... a good "thinking outside the box" exercise.
Nothing alse matter - Metallica.

Not plated on a 12 originally but souns cool on a 12 string.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
hi peter here 12strings are great. mine is a tanglewood plug in and sounds the biz.

try playing the Eagles Hotel California now this is a song for the 12 string.

the chords go somthing like Bmin F# Amaj Emaj Gmaj D Emin F# repeat

then the verse Gmaj D Emin F# anyway thats the way this 51 year old fart plays it sounds ok enjoy your new guitar once played 6 strings sound flat.
More than a feeling.....Dsus D C2 G2 and then start over.

Dead or alive
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Life by the drop - Stevie Ray Vaugnh
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Page 1 of 2