Hey guys iv just put a deposit on a california strat made in 1997 but i have been hearing that these were partly built in mexico......whats the deal there?

anyone have anything to say about them?

i played it in the shop and it sounded ****ing amazing....

tobz
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Quote by cedaguol
if it sounded amazing to you why would u care where its made?

+1. Doesn't matter if it was made in California or Mars, if it plays well and sounds great, that's all that counts.
These guitars were stopped because they were so good that they cut down on sales of the American Deluxe and Standard series ones. I got the Squier Version
hmm, i take that as a positive.......
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
My friends got a california series strat and its an awesome guitar, the neck has such a nice feel to it. Am i right in thinking they have tex mex pickups as stock?
POST FINDER
yes they do
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
I have a Mexican Jim Root Fender. Whenever I get the opportunity to bash Fender I will. My fret ends stick out past the edge of the fretboard as the wood dried and now my left hand bleeds when I play. I had to fix it with a sanding block. Obviously the wood was not allowed to dry enough. F-FENDER. I'm not anti-foreign guitar either. I have had many guitars made in many places.
Quote by knuckleslammer
I have a Mexican Jim Root Fender. Whenever I get the opportunity to bash Fender I will. My fret ends stick out past the edge of the fretboard as the wood dried and now my left hand bleeds when I play. I had to fix it with a sanding block. Obviously the wood was not allowed to dry enough. F-FENDER. I'm not anti-foreign guitar either. I have had many guitars made in many places.

Sounds like you just got a bad one. All of the Fenders I've played have been great.
Don't have any detailed pics of the frets. It got progressively worse as the fingerboard dried. They aren't letting the wood dry enough first obviously. Coupled with the dry Winter weather up here. However I've never had a problem with Gibsons and Ibanez's. I just find it kind of sad that you pay $900 for a guitar and your hand ends up bleeding and you end up hacking it to work properly. I had the option to send it back but I would have no other guitar to play as I'm just getting back into electric.
this has been hi-jacked, i was hoping for some more views on a cali strat before i blow my money
Fender USA Strat

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Quote by knuckleslammer

You are in a dry environment during the winter. Stuff like this happens. Its unfortunate but yea it does so you gotta take care of it. That Tele has a rosewood neck? Put some oil on it. I think its lemon oil but don't quote me on that. I've seen Strats with a rosewood fingerboard. where the frets were starting to pop out a tad, soak up the oil like a sponge cause it was so dry. I think rosewood are worse off cause of the more open grain where as maple has more finish and closed grain? hmm I think thats how it goes

EDIT:

To threadstarter, if it sounds good and feels good I'd get it. Especially if its been discontinued. Seems like a lot say its a good buy but ultimate decision is up to you. You loved it initially and loved the tone so why doubt yourself? Use your own judgement
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Last edited by DSOTM80 at Feb 6, 2008,
For pickup height measurements, check here.

http://www.fender.com/support/stratocaster.php

They give the Fender recommended spacing for different pickups.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."