So a friend and I are taking this History of Rock music course at a local community college. It's a distance learning class, which means that the classes aren't held on campus. The "curriculum" is made up of a series of time life dvds, and a book by rolling stone. There are only two tests throughout the class. The first one is based entirely off the dvds, and the second entirely off the book. I think that's dumb, but that's not what I'm complaining about. Basically, the dvds talk about the different eras of rock music up to the late 70's, and have several interviews with a variety of people. One of the things we are going to be tested over is those interviews. So basically, we have to memorize what every person said. It might just be one person saying "Rock and roll is awesome". There are over 200 quotes to memorize. I don't even get how that's possible. That's also not the only thing we're tested over for the dvds.

Anyone else think that it's stupid? I'll be happy if I can get a passing grade..
yeah it is a cool class. it'd be better if it were well organized though.
Sounds stupid because its using a book published by Rolling Stone. I had little respect for those tools anyways and then they published their list of the top 100 guitarists of all time... after you read that you're a moron to have any respect for those retards.
"The sounds of the universe were joined together according to musical concord" -Plato

Quote by adamungar1
Don't quote me, but I think it's a requirement to pledge allegiance if you're running for president :S

myspace.com/musicartenergy
AIM: enmusicerartgy
I had one of those in high school. I corrected my teacher every ten minutes, and when it came down to talking about the Seattle Scene, and 90s alternative, I insisted she let me teach the class. She DID let me talk more than usual, and didn't write me up for saying she was wrong..
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
just write them on a piece of paper and leave it under you and adjust your self while sitting (meaning move over so you can see the paper) and ta-da you have offically cheated on a test and chances of getting caught are slim
Quote by Ichikurosaki
fenrir you legendary legend man

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a connection between intelligence and obesity? Hmmmmm...

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I had one of those in high school. I corrected my teacher every ten minutes, and when it came down to talking about the Seattle Scene, and 90s alternative, I insisted she let me teach the class. She DID let me talk more than usual, and didn't write me up for saying she was wrong..

Stop rambling nonsense!
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by enmusicerartgy
Sounds stupid because its using a book published by Rolling Stone. I had little respect for those tools anyways and then they published their list of the top 100 guitarists of all time... after you read that you're a moron to have any respect for those retards.

+10000000
Quote by Ichikurosaki
fenrir you legendary legend man

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a connection between intelligence and obesity? Hmmmmm...

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Stentroll
Stop rambling nonsense!

If you're going to take away my rambling, I might as well not even come here anymore, it's not like I do anything else.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Quote by enmusicerartgy

totally... After I saw Kurt Cobain at 12 and Eddie Van Halen at 80-somethin I lost all respect for em.
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while f
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If you're going to take away my rambling, I might as well not even come here anymore, it's not like I do anything else.

Oh no, no, I'm sorry, don't leave .
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
They should teach you guys using the book I've been writing in my spare time. It's called, "If you don't like my opinion, you're a moron with bad taste." In my book, I clearly explain which bands sucked since the late thirties, and which ones are off the chain. The best part is that when you get tired of hearing me piss and moan about bands that are actually pretty good, you also get a great education in television shows that have puppets, because I tend to go off topic a lot. Just like every good rock journalist should.

Seriously, has anyone ever read a biography where the author didn't just start talking about completely unrelated stuff? That Layne Staley biography started talking about goats and some point..
Quote by vintage x metal

Quote by Monkey Biscuits
a History of Rock music course? sounds cool

First post. Didn't even read your story. i love it.

Yeah that sounds like a **** class to me. sorry man. tough it out though, and it sounds like you'll at least get a B.
Quote by Briyan_15
I think this man has a reputation to defend and "poop head" is not in that reputation.

Quote by omegasus
RUSSELL! WHAT THE ****!!!!
Yup, sounds rediculous.Roling stone and time life dont exactly have the best insights into rock and roll...
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by Jack Off Jill
They should teach you guys using the book I've been writing in my spare time. It's called, "If you don't like my opinion, you're a moron with bad taste." In my book, I clearly explain which bands sucked since the late thirties, and which ones are off the chain. The best part is that when you get tired of hearing me piss and moan about bands that are actually pretty good, you also get a great education in television shows that have puppets, because I tend to go off topic a lot. Just like every good rock journalist should.

Seriously, has anyone ever read a biography where the author didn't just start talking about completely unrelated stuff? That Layne Staley biography started talking about goats and some point..

YAY!
Quote by RiotSquad
Quote by Cameronrobson

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Stentroll
YAY!

Yeah, it's a pretty amazing read.

Chapter Seventeen: Why Billy Corgan is creepy with or without hair.

I love him, though.
Quote by vintage x metal

use some smart learning instead of memorization? The instructor obviously wants you to see each musician as representing something based on each interview. Just figure out what each persona is supposed to represent and the questions will be easy. It's stupid to try memorize every point they say. It's like reading an article, you don't memorize everything, you pick out the main points and the overall meaning.

The tests sound pretty reasonable to me.
That said, the texts you're using sound pretty limited and kinda lame.
im taking a music appreciation class at high school. We started at ancient greece and just got to fifties rock. Our teacher has this text book actually designed for the class i dont know why yoour teacher is making learn form dumbass documentaries and rolling stone.
I'm so hip your grandpa broke me.
I took a History of Rock class in college and it was great. I also took History of Jazz. Good stuff. Really broadened my musical horizons.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by dullsilver_mike
use some smart learning instead of memorization? The instructor obviously wants you to see each musician as representing something based on each interview. Just figure out what each persona is supposed to represent and the questions will be easy. It's stupid to try memorize every point they say. It's like reading an article, you don't memorize everything, you pick out the main points and the overall meaning.

The tests sound pretty reasonable to me.
That said, the texts you're using sound pretty limited and kinda lame.

You're probably right, but the thing is a lot of people seem to represent the same thing. There are several people that mentioned something to the effect of "black music broke down racial barriers" on one episode. It just seems like a waste.

edit: @dirk, yeah that's what i like about this. i didn't know much about the rock and roll bands of the 50's, but they're really good.