Im starting to play guitar where do i start?

And can someone give me some scales....

penatonic, etc..
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101
Youre mom should have used the coat hanger to abort you as a fetus.

Douche bag.
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
Start with chords!

Agreed
Then fifths/powerchords and try practise strumming patterns
You should probably start by learning some easy songs. If you just practice chords without using them in songs it can become very tedious, and then there is a much greater chance that you will become bored with it and give up. Learn some chords annd scales, but make sure you learn songs that you can have fun with.
Member Of Jackson/Charvel Owners Group
can someone make me a list of chords and scale sto learn... like put em in tab 4 me... it would be much apreciated
Quote by Union Jake

So anyway, now i'm here feeling rather dirty knowing that I just sat in a room with 3 other guys having a wank. I had to get it off my chest
Quote by fenderfreak101

Douche bag.
Quote by Cato_60
can someone make me a list of chords and scale sto learn... like put em in tab 4 me... it would be much apreciated

Buy a chord book, tab is not good for chords because it doesn't give you an idea of what finger to put where, the most comfortable position is not always the best when you are switching chords.
Start with a couple of open chords ...E A and D are a good starting point.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
First Chromatic Scales

E Major Pentatonic Scale

The Major Scale
Play the 6th string "Open"
Play the 6th string, 2nd fret
Play the 6th string, 4th fret
Play the 5th string "Open"
Play the 5th string, 2nd fret
Play the 5th string, 4th fret
Play the 4th string, 1st fret

E Minor Pentatonic Scale

The Minor Pentatonic Scale

E Minor Pentatonic ScaleE Pentatonic Minor Scale Chart
Play the 6th string, 3rd fret
Play the 5th string "Open"
Play the 5th string, 2nd fret
Play the 4th string "Open"
Play the 4th string, 2nd fret
Play the 3rd string "Open"

Click here for more help
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=1&scch=E&scchnam=Major&get2=Get
"I know many songs to play on my guitar but all the fish ever want to hear me play are scales."
Last edited by Lemik Adrian at Feb 5, 2008,
thanks... im gonna check out those justin videos and that for the scales lemik
Quote by Union Jake

Quote by fenderfreak101

Douche bag.
It depends on what style of guitar you want to play. You should figure out what kind of music you want to play, because some very basic techniques in one style may very well not be used in another or be significantly modified.

For example, being able to smoothly transition between closed power chords is a fairly important and basic skill for a metal guitarist and some punk. However, it probably isn't a very important starting point for a classical or a country guitarist. What is appropriate muting on a steel string acoustic is not remotely sufficient for playing on a high gain electrical guitar. Not every technique is useful for every style, and while having a broad range of skills is good, learning a little of everything isn't good when starting out. It is better to get a solid understanding of the main style you want to learn and then start adding other techniques that might not be conventionally used.
im more metal than anything.. i dont see my self playing any country but probably blues... more than likely
Quote by Union Jake

Quote by fenderfreak101

Douche bag.
Quote by Matheau
It depends on what style of guitar you want to play. You should figure out what kind of music you want to play, because some very basic techniques in one style may very well not be used in another or be significantly modified.

For example, being able to smoothly transition between closed power chords is a fairly important and basic skill for a metal guitarist and some punk. However, it probably isn't a very important starting point for a classical or a country guitarist. What is appropriate muting on a steel string acoustic is not remotely sufficient for playing on a high gain electrical guitar. Not every technique is useful for every style, and while having a broad range of skills is good, learning a little of everything isn't good when starting out. It is better to get a solid understanding of the main style you want to learn and then start adding other techniques that might not be conventionally used.

Guitar basics are guitar basics, they aren't style specific - at the beginning it's all the same stuff you need to learn. Once you've got the basics down then you can start thinking about techniques that will lend themselves to a certain style, it's not really an issue for the first few months though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive already started on the videos.... thanks again for the link
Quote by Union Jake

Quote by fenderfreak101

Douche bag.