most guitars arnt really that strong there two- Pi. glued together gibson's i woud't say that tho there like tanks.
Member #2 of the dean owners club, PM g1asseye to join.

92% of teens have moved on to rap repost this if you are one of the 8% that listen to real music

Rock IN Peace Darrell Lance Abbott \m/
SG headstocks are kinda notorious for breaking. But in all cases I've witnessed the owners had dropped it or bumped into something.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Guitars, as a general and common-sense rule of thumb, are meant and built for the purposes of the following
1: Playing music on them
2: Hanging on a wall & been gazed at with eyes of awe
One of their main uses is NOT
1: Throwing about like a vengeful beer can with bubble-wrap taped on it. Gibsons are a very good example of this. Note that you can barely find any post 65 SG's because of a certain fellow called Mr. P. Townsend. Might have heard of him
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
The SG I have has been treated like crap for over 30 years, and it's neck and headstock are still on there. The finish and chrome hardware is worn, but it's still together. I think you should be fine, unless you're smashing it on the ground.

EDIT: I dunno how durable the newer SGs are, though. I'm saving up to buy one right now.
Last edited by AngelOfHatred at Feb 4, 2008,
If treated properly a guitar will last a long long time. Using soft gig bags in the trunks of cars, leaning them in corners things like this will mess them up.
Quote by Green_Jelly
SG headstocks are kinda notorious for breaking. But in all cases I've witnessed the owners had dropped it or bumped into something.

guilty lol
Gibsons tend to be weak at the neck joint because of the throwback angle of the head which i think is 17 degrees, On some custom shop models they fixed this problem by making the neck a little thicker at the underside of the nut, but most ppl didnt like it, so they gibson got rid of it i think. So to conclude, just be careful with it!
My knock off fell off the stand, when I picked it back up there was a crack running about an inch into the neck around the headstock. If you were carefull with it itd last forever. Theyre just badly designed around the neck.
Yeah, I've had a few friends snap the headstocks off....
Now, they weren't exactly gentle with their guitars, so keep that in mind.

My friend works at a guitar repair place and every time a Gibson comes in with a snapped neck, it's always right there at the headstock.
(Alot of times it's from falling off of a stand or something)
I'd guess, as has been stated before, it's due to the headstock angle, since he's had to do 2 of them more than once, at pretty much the same place.

That's how I learned that a glue joint, when properly done, is stronger than the wood around it.....
I have been playing Gibsons for a considerable amount of time and have never had any kind of neck problems, no warping, breaking, twisting, etc. I wore the frets down on my first SG and had to have them planed, but this is normal wear.
Gibson headstocks are similar to egg shells.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by micky_dev
Gibsons tend to be weak at the neck joint because of the throwback angle of the head which i think is 17 degrees, On some custom shop models they fixed this problem by making the neck a little thicker at the underside of the nut, but most ppl didnt like it, so they gibson got rid of it i think. So to conclude, just be careful with it!

My Gibson is thicker at the nut, but I've never seen any other Gibson with it.
i've heard various stories of them breaking by falling off a stand, even though it's careless, i think a guitar should be sturdy enough to handle one little fall, especially with the price tag
Theres a reason why SG's are notorious for headstock breakages....

That is because of neck dive, having a top heavy guitar means the neck will dive, and some people forgot this, or the strap breaks and the head goes diving towards the ground and CRACK!!! Uve got a broken headstock my good man.

I have nightmares of it happening to me at night...
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<