I jammed with a local band two or three weeks ago on bass...The guitarist is playing on a Line 6 Spider II, the drummer has a Slipknot trapset and I'm playing through a Behringer bass amp....My real problem is that I cannot hear myself at all. If the guitarist lowers his volume then the drums will be too loud, last time my amp was pointing towards me and the guitarist's amp away from me and I could only hear myself on high notes. Does anyone know a good way to cut through the sound enough to where they can at least make out my riffs?

I don't have enough money for a new amp (it's 90w and I'm really abusing it just to hear those high notes), I tried using a pick for a more distinctive sound but I'm just not as coordinated and they pretty relatively fast Metal. I could get a cabinet but it would be a hassle to carry it everywhere....Any suggestions? They might jam today (depends on if my friend can give me a ride since I don't have a car.) so I probably won't be able to do anything different for this one....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'd point you to my EQ blogs, but 90W of Behringer isn't going to cut it, EQ or not.

And... it's spelled epitome
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I'd point you to my EQ blogs, but 90W of Behringer isn't going to cut it, EQ or not.

And... it's spelled epitome

I knew it! A search engine corrected me but every result I got spelled it incorrectly so I guess there are many people like me.

I have an EQ setting that I like that has a pretty powerful sound...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, I mean, that's the problem. Short of getting headphones and listening to them while playing, or buying a new amp, there's no real way you're going to hear your bass amp better than you are now. Not that I can think of, anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmm....I'll just have to manage for now and hope the guitarist doesn't mind turning his volume down a little so they can hear the little guy on bass.....Thanks though..
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Hmm....I'll just have to manage for now and hope the guitarist doesn't mind turning his volume down a little so they can hear the little guy on bass.....Thanks though..

See, it's situations such as this that I (and many others) believe that you need 4x the wattage of the guitar player. Most sane guitar players play loud enough to be heard articulately over drums. You, as a bass player, need to amplify your clean signal over both of them. For that, you need serious power.

However, that reminds me - sometimes, when I've been feeling a bit quiet, distortion loudens things up. Even if the actual db volume and output is the same, distortion still sounds louder.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
That's why I got my 90w because I own a 50w guitar amp that my friend plays on.....I might try distortion but my distortion pedal doesn't have a gain nob and it has really over-the-top distortion....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
We're talking 4x the wattage of a guitar player. 200W over your guitar player's 50W. I had 250W over my guitar player's 65W and it was about right, and my 600W over my guitar player's 150W is about right too. Keep that in mind. A lot of people say "well, double is acceptable", but for a heavy band, it isn't. I really don't know what to tell you if you don't want to change your EQ and your distortion pedal isn't up to snuff. You won't cut through with your existing setup.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 4, 2008,
Give up on the current set up. You can get a Carvin amp for pretty cheap, because you have to buy them directly. I've never played through a Carvin, but they are highly praised by anyone who's ever touched one. Time to start saving up.

Question: Does your guitar player play a Dean? Do you play an Epiphone Thunderbird? That would just complete the sucktitude. If so, pics?
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Give up on the current set up. You can get a Carvin amp for pretty cheap, because you have to buy them directly. I've never played through a Carvin, but they are highly praised by anyone who's ever touched one. Time to start saving up.

Question: Does your guitar player play a Dean? Do you play an Epiphone Thunderbird? That would just complete the sucktitude. If so, pics?

I wouldn't say Dean in general sucks.....I'm playing an Ibanez GSR200 (I'm a noob bassist)

I was planning on upgrading my bass to a 5 string Schecter but I might go for a new amp...I would have to sell my current amp, ask parents for a loan......My 16th birthday is coming up so that should supply a good amount....I really want an Ampeg..
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
What about this one?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BXL3000A-300W-1x15--Aluminum-Cone-Bass-Combo-481093-i1145510.gc

Another Behringer but everything else is smaller than my current amp for the same price......I would say 300 is my limit right about now....
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
For God's sake, don't get a behringer. For his own sake, and yours. Every time a n00b bassist buys a behringer, god kills a kitten. Think of the kittens.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by BladeSlinger
What about this one?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Behringer-Ultrabass-BXL3000A-300W-1x15--Aluminum-Cone-Bass-Combo-481093-i1145510.gc

Another Behringer but everything else is smaller than my current amp for the same price......I would say 300 is my limit right about now....

You won't get a ~200W amp for $300. You don't have enough money especially.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Your41Plague12
For God's sake, don't get a behringer. For his own sake, and yours. Every time a n00b bassist buys a behringer, god kills a kitten. Think of the kittens.

Yea.....I don't want to really....I probably won't join the band and if I do I'm sure we'll find a way to get me in the mix....I want that freaking Schecter Stiletto Deluxe to bad. (hopefully that won't be a mistake since I've heard a lot of good stuff about Schecter basses and I liked the one I played a while ago.)
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by thefitz
We're talking 4x the wattage of a guitar player. 200W over your guitar player's 50W. I had 250W over my guitar player's 65W and it was about right, and my 600W over my guitar player's 150W is about right too. Keep that in mind. A lot of people say "well, double is acceptable", but for a heavy band, it isn't. I really don't know what to tell you if you don't want to change your EQ and your distortion pedal isn't up to snuff. You won't cut through with your existing setup.

That works about right our guitarist has a 30w something or other and i have my 180w Ashdown, it does the job...infact it is sometimes too loud for him..... heh i guess thats good in it's way
Quote by BladeSlinger
Yea.....I don't want to really....I probably won't join the band and if I do I'm sure we'll find a way to get me in the mix....I want that freaking Schecter Stiletto Deluxe to bad. (hopefully that won't be a mistake since I've heard a lot of good stuff about Schecter basses and I liked the one I played a while ago.)

you really need to focus on saving up for the amp first, it will help your tone much more, 90 watts isn't going to cut it, as most people said.

besides, when you do get that amp, and are looking for a guitar get the Custom instead of the deluxe, you will be MUCH happier, it costs more but is tons better. Better pick ups, better bridge, better electronics, and it looks a hell of a lot sexier too.

Also, you don't need an ampeg to get a decent tone, lookout for Ashdown or Carvin if you're on a budget, you'll need to buy carvin direct, and Ashdown might be a bit difficult to find as well, but they are both great for the price.
Quote by Zar938
you really need to focus on saving up for the amp first, it will help your tone much more, 90 watts isn't going to cut it, as most people said.

besides, when you do get that amp, and are looking for a guitar get the Custom instead of the deluxe, you will be MUCH happier, it costs more but is tons better. Better pick ups, better bridge, better electronics, and it looks a hell of a lot sexier too.

Also, you don't need an ampeg to get a decent tone, lookout for Ashdown or Carvin if you're on a budget, you'll need to buy carvin direct, and Ashdown might be a bit difficult to find as well, but they are both great for the price.

Ok, thanks everyone for your help....I think I'll save up for a Carvin..
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
How about, go to guitar center and try a bunch of amps yourself and see what's right?

also, hand-in-hand with asking the guitarist to turn down... tell your drummer to hit softer. I know, it hurts his feelings, but it's that, you winning some lotto ticket, or him getting brushes.

course, you could always buy your drummer brushes. A mere $15 solution.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by UtBDan
How about, go to guitar center and try a bunch of amps yourself and see what's right?

also, hand-in-hand with asking the guitarist to turn down... tell your drummer to hit softer. I know, it hurts his feelings, but it's that, you winning some lotto ticket, or him getting brushes.

I'm not in the band, this was just a friendly jam....He wasn't hitting that hard either....He had a pretty medium attack in my opinion and it's not my place to tell the drummer of a band I'm not in to play softer...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
loooooooooooool BladeSlinger you're an odd one.
Quote by hightension01

Tell her
"I could be playing this *inserts Job For a Cowboys Doom Cd*
but i'd rather play this *inserts *David Crowder followed by Brewster*"

haha yeah that should work

Quote by Aqua Dementia
richrawr FTW!
Quote by UtBDan

Lol, Dan, I actually did that at one point when I only had a 30w amp in the house. The happy ending was that the drummer husband got so frustrated playing Zeppelin with brushes that I had no problem convincing him buying the Ampeg combo was a great idea...

Quote by BladeSlinger

He had a pretty medium attack in my opinion and it's not my place to tell the drummer of a band I'm not in to play softer..

Come on live a little! The worst he could do is throw a drum stick at your head..or play louder....
I'm a shy guy and don't like to cause conflict like that over such a trivial matter.....If it was my drummer friend I would ask and offer to buy some but I don't know this guy too well...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I really want an Ampeg..

No you don't. I think god should start killing kittens everytime someone buys an ampeg. If god doesn't, then the thundering "Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum" sound coming from the bassist's rig will. I love alot of bass in my sound. I really don't care for hi-fi. But with bass, I also like clarity. Ampeg amps have none.

I may be overexagerating here, I don't care.

Get a Carvin. You get more or just as much power for half the price.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Lol, you Carvin fanboys, if nothing else, are a persistent lot! But I have to admire the way you have taken to prostelizing the Carvin cause in the Bass forum.
WTf is with the Carvin revolution... We seem to have a mass of roto buddies, carvin fan boys and thunderbird haters. I wonder what will be the next product for eveyone to jump on the band wagon.

Anyways ts, good choice, pick the amp. i cant comment on carvin because australia runs about 3 lines of bass amps but they seem to be all the rage at the moment
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Quote by bazz_aaron
WTf is with the Carvin revolution... We seem to have a mass of roto buddies, carvin fan boys and thunderbird haters. I wonder what will be the next product for eveyone to jump on the band wagon.

Good question - I'll let you know when my BBE Sonic Stomp comes in.

But seriously, what's wrong with getting twice the amp at half the price? Avatar, too?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I hate this bandwagon jumping f calling this a bandwagon. It's stupid. People are recommending things they like, that's not a ****ing bandwagon. You're more bandwagon jumpers than we are for jumping on the bandwagon of calling us on jumping on the bandwagon. SUCK ON THAT.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I hate this bandwagon jumping f calling this a bandwagon. It's stupid. People are recommending things they like, that's not a ****ing bandwagon. You're more bandwagon jumpers than we are for jumping on the bandwagon of calling us on jumping on the bandwagon. SUCK ON THAT.

Yeah. Saying we're bandwagon jumpers is SO jumping on the bandwagon-jumper-calling bandwagon.

And it's only really bandwagon jumping if we did a 180 on our opinions or changed our tune on it considerably. I mean, all us Carvin fans read that same review in either Bass Player or Bass Guitar magazine.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Bandwagon bandwagon!!!!!!!

are you guys endorsed by Carvin or somethin??????

Fannyboys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Sly Taco at Feb 8, 2008,
Quote by anarkee
Lol, you Carvin fanboys, if nothing else, are a persistent lot! But I have to admire the way you have taken to prostelizing the Carvin cause in the Bass forum.

+1 give it a rest
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
If you're into electronics at all, you could probably build a small treble and bass booster. It won't make it too much louder but you'll be clearer at the same level you are now. If you can't make one, don't bother buying one. Buy a new amp instead.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.