I'm looking to buy a tube amp and managed to stumble across the new Spider Valve amps and figured I'd get some feedback about them. I currently own a Spider II and... Well I'd rather just not even talk about it I hear the Spider Valves are a lot better considering they're tube amps and blah blah blah. I have quite an array of music so I'm looking for versatility. Looking to spend ~$800. So basically:

1. How are they? Pros, cons...

2. What are the differnces between then besides the 212 having 2 speakers?

3. Am I following the road to regret once again buy purchasing a Spider amp?

4. Comments, suggestions, etc.

Thanks
i played thru the 212 at the local sam ash store and it sounded dynamite. i have the spider 3 and it sounds like that only better. i'm seriously considering trading my hd147 and picking up the spider valve head
1. Spider Valves are definitely awesome amps. The problem with the Spider III was tone, and the Valves fixed them. They also use V30's instead of those POS speakers in the Spider III.

2. I don't think there are any other differences. There might be a few more features on the 212, but don't quote me on that.

3. No. I think anyone who likes the amount of gain they get from a Spider but despise the lack of tone and the horrid amount of processing that is evident in the sound will be pleasently surprised by the Valves.

4. Just make sure that you play it for yourself first. I've seen people play it and absolutely hate it, and I've seen people play it and realize their new favorite amp.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Quote by mafropetee

4. Just make sure that you play it for yourself first. I've seen people play it and absolutely hate it, and I've seen people play it and realize their new favorite amp.

Exactly. Although I believe some people might just be prejudiced, but still. You might like it or you might not. Better play it first.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.
We played a gig with a couple of other local bands friday night. Each duo of guitarists was using Line 6 Stacks. In the one band, the dude had a Spider Valve, and it sounded like complete and utter ****e.
My 5150 was the only amp that retained its clarity at high volumes out of all the amps. The rest of them was just Mushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Could be just the way the guy had it dialled in, I dunno.
Quote by Dream Pin
We played a gig with a couple of other local bands friday night. Each duo of guitarists was using Line 6 Stacks. In the one band, the dude had a Spider Valve, and it sounded like complete and utter ****e.
My 5150 was the only amp that retained its clarity at high volumes out of all the amps. The rest of them was just Mushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Could be just the way the guy had it dialled in, I dunno.

Probably. It's really easy to oversaturate those amps with wayyy too much of a certain setting. Some people just don't know when to stop turning the damn knob. But if you set them right, then they sound incredible.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
They're meant to be quite good but for the price (in the UK anyways) I'd rather get something else. But I guess you're paying for the versatility so..........

If you like it, buy it!
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
when i heard it last time in the store, it sounded quite digital to my ears. i didn't like it.
it sounded too fake, and it just couldn't impress me.

just my opinion of course.
Its a decent amp, but at its price range, there are better amps you can get.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Quote by mike.h

Exactly
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I tried one at a local store last month after hearing all the hype about these "toob" amps...
they are not 100 tube, they are a hybrid design from what I've heard.

also when i tried the amp in person I also thought they were digital sounding and yes you have to really get into setting these amps or else you could get a muddy tone easily....

My thought is that if you were not happy with a line6 spider, you probably wont be happy with a line6 spider valve but you should try it out in person for yourself, personally I would go for an all tube amp if you really want a tube tone.

These amps are a little high in price so I would want to look around for other amps in the price range as theres bound to be something better out there.......
Quote by moody07747
I tried one at a local store last month after hearing all the hype about these "toob" amps...
they are not 100 tube, they are a hybrid design from what I've heard.

also when i tried the amp in person I also thought they were digital sounding and yes you have to really get into setting these amps or else you could get a muddy tone easily....

My thought is that if you were not happy with a line6 spider, you probably wont be happy with a line6 spider valve but you should try it out in person for yourself, personally I would go for an all tube amp if you really want a tube tone.

These amps are a little high in price so I would want to look around for other amps in the price range as theres bound to be something better out there.......

Digital montor--Preamp tube---Power tube---Speaker
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by mike.h

Depends. If you're looking at the 112, there aren't many that can match the spider valve in that price range, except maybe a flextone III, which is slightly louder than a 40 watt tube amp.

Doesnt the digital part come in between the pre amps?

No distorting gain comes from those preamp tubes, so I don't believe so. The two preamp tubes are used to amplify the signal, and the second is a driver tube, much like the Switchblade.

My opinion on the Spider valve is that it's very easy to get a crappy setting, or overly digital. It's slightly harder to get an organic tone, but the 112 is a great deal.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
IMO they're decent, but not the best for the price.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
check out some used Marshall all-tube amps. i'm not quite sure, but i think the JCM2000 series just went out of production. the used amps sell for around the same price as the spider valves, and they have all the tone you'd ever need.
Quote by The red Strat.
when i heard it last time in the store, it sounded quite digital to my ears. i didn't like it.
it sounded too fake, and it just couldn't impress me.

just my opinion of course.

i felt the exact same way when i tried one out, its not worth it imo
Thanks for the input everybody And if you don't mind, give other suggestions for those who said there are better amps in the price range
I think with the spider valve you're trading versatility for tone. If you're only playing mainly one genre of music there is probably a better amp for you for the price.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Basically... Everything haha which is a bit of a problem because I need such versatility. Lately I've been playing stuff from The Fall of Troy and want to achieve similar tones (I realize he uses a million pedals haha) As well as clean stuff from Brand New, RHCP, and such.

I need some 'TFoT distortion/ overdrive' as well as some beautiful clean and everything in between. (95% of this post was pointless and I basically repeated myself 8 different ways.. I apologize )
Quote by Kevin Saale
I think with the spider valve you're trading versatility for tone. If you're only playing mainly one genre of music there is probably a better amp for you for the price.

another very strong point
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Well if I'm spending that much the last thing I want to do is sacrifice tone. Would it be smarter to buy a slightly cheaper amp (Around $600-700) and buy more pedals/ multi-effects? I realize that being a versatile guitar player isn't exactly cheap haha but I'm trying to save as much as I can
Seeing as you said you play many genres I have 2 suggestions.

1. If you like the spider valve, it's tone, and the digital wizardry I would say go for it.

2. If the spider valve underwhelms you, then I would suggest an amp with nice cleans and decent overdrive and go the route of pedals.

Not necessarily saying you should get one, but I only use the clean channel of my hrd and use pedals for everything else. I must say that I'm very fond of the set up I have. The great cleans of the HRD are very good to build off of. Not to mention it's cheaper than a spider valve and sounds damn brilliant cranked.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Reincaster
Depends. If you're looking at the 112, there aren't many that can match the spider valve in that price range, except maybe a flextone III, which is slightly louder than a 40 watt tube amp.

Used 6505? The 112 goes for 700 you know =/
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted