Hi!

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scch=E&scchnam=Diminished&get2=Get

I usually uset that site to learn guitar scales, first i learn some of there than I'll start counting it on my own.

This time my problem goes with the diminished scales, i watched and there was 4 diminished scales and some other small pieces. I don't know what to learn I've read the lesson about diminished scales but there were only mentioned 2 of those. the half and whole diminished's.

So i want to be a shredder like yngwie what would you recommend me to start at first?

-Any help is really appreciated!
鋼の錬金術師
Last edited by Punkismygod at Feb 4, 2008,
So i want to be a shredder like yngwie

Do you know the amount of practice and dedication people like Malmsteen put into their work, to get to such a high level in the music world. It's a feat that seems easy, but when you get down to it...it's nitty-gritty.

Anywho, Malmsteen a heavy user of the harmonic minor scale. Sweep using that.
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Quote by sTx

Anywho, Malmsteen a heavy user of the harmonic minor scale. Sweep using that.

I'm already really good at harmonic minor scales. i can play Majors, minors, harmonic minors, pentatonic minors, pentatonic majors, some modes. than what scales should i go next?
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by Punkismygod
...This time my problem goes with the diminished scales, i watched and there were four diminished scales and some other small pieces. I don't know what to learn. I've read the lesson about diminished scales but there were only mentioned 2 of those. the half and whole diminisheds.

So i want to be a shredder like yngwie what would you recommend me to start at first?

-Any help is really appreciated!
First, I strongly suggest you forget about being a "shredder like Yngwie". I'm certainly not suggesting you can never be as fast as, or whatever-as Yngwie, because you certainly can be, given enough time, focus and practice hours. But simply chasing another legendary player's shadow so that you can be "like" him or her is a losing proposition from the outset.

Regarding diminished scales, start with those corresponding to the fully-diminished chords (those chords built entirely of stacked minor thirds). There are, in fact, only four of these fully-diminished chords - the other eight are their inversions. The easiest way I've found to teach these scales is to pick a chord tone and then alternate half- and whole-steps from there. The cool thing is that it doesn't matter whether you start with a half- or whole-step. Whichever interval you choose to begin the scale, simply alternate with the other until you reach the octave (or wherever you decide to stop).

A challenging variation is to ascend using one alternating half-whole pattern and then descend using the other.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by gpb0216
First, I strongly suggest you forget about being a "shredder like Yngwie". I'm certainly not suggesting you can never be as fast as, or whatever-as Yngwie, because you certainly can be, given enough time, focus and practice hours. But simply chasing another legendary player's shadow so that you can be "like" him or her is a losing proposition from the outset.

I actually just meaned that i want to sound like yngwie not to be him 100% i want to take something from every old players to my playing. like yngwie's hero was randy rhoads and look at yngwie now. I don't want to be like yngwie but i like get the same energy into my solos. you know what i mean?

Oh and bytheway thanks for the tip on diminished scales, really helped
鋼の錬金術師

Same as I'd recommend for anyone: Learn diatonic harmony and the theory behind the major scale. Learn the sounds of different intervals. Learn the notes all over the fretboard. Afterwards, study classical conventions in theory and listen to the same music that influences Malmsteen.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Same as I'd recommend for anyone: Learn diatonic harmony and the theory behind the major scale. Learn the sounds of different intervals. Learn the notes all over the fretboard. Afterwards, study classical conventions in theory and listen to the same music that influences Malmsteen.

diatonic harmony behind major scale
-check
lot's of intervals
-need's bit more practicing
all notes over fretboard
-check
study classical theory and listen to malmsteen?
-needs lot's of praciting

thanks dude!
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by Punkismygod
diatonic harmony behind major scale
-check
lot's of intervals
-need's bit more practicing
all notes over fretboard
-check
study classical theory and listen to malmsteen?
-needs lot's of praciting

thanks dude!

As far as Malmsteen goes, he tends to make heavy use of the harmonic minor scale, as well as phrygian and phrygian dominant. Your best bet is to do some reading into various classical techniques and conventions. Look at the way classical composers construct chord progressions and modulate between keys. Experiment with techniques like counterpoint and pedal tones.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
As far as Malmsteen goes, he tends to make heavy use of the harmonic minor scale, as well as phrygian and phrygian dominant. Your best bet is to do some reading into various classical techniques and conventions. Look at the way classical composers construct chord progressions and modulate between keys. Experiment with techniques like counterpoint and pedal tones.

you seriously should give guitar lessons! thank you very much
鋼の錬金術師
so how much did yngwie actually practice? I practice 12 hours a day sometimes when school doesn't get in the way(a la right now), and the technical side of it is a breeze, it's just the theory that I'm struggling with. So now I've been studying theory about 2 hours everyday, not that I'm trying to be Yngwie either, just curious how much he practiced to get that good.
didn't he start playing like at the age of 9? he has had lot's time to play thats for sure. i play at least 5 hours per day on weekend 8-10 or as long i can take it, it sucks to be in school.
鋼の錬金術師
yeah, there comes a point when the actual playing becomes more important than how successful you are as a musician, it sucks when life stops you from playing. I'm at the point now where all I really want to do is play all day every day regardless of whether people think I am good or bad and regardless of whether I play gigs or not. It's heartwrenching when you can't play because of something stupid.
agreed -^ it's really nice you like to play and you enjoy of it and nothing is more annoying than not doing it! when i'm school i think of playing when i'm going shopping i'm think of playing it follows me everywhere! and i would love skipping school 'cause all we do these days is basicly just repeating stuff we have learned before, i don't see no need to that? but anyway dude keep on playing, who knows if you will be this generation's randy rhoads?
鋼の錬金術師
I'd be happy with making enough money so I can eat, that'd be a dream really. My goal is to get my drummer a lot more decent, then drive around North America playing everyday just making enough money to eat. That would be so much better than sitting in class everyday wanting to hit myself in the face.
that would be enough to me too : ) how much do you meek usually at gig? maybe you're dreams will come true someday? that's what dreams are made for.
鋼の錬金術師
depends, you can make anywhere from a few pitchers of beer to millions of dollars if you're famous. Right now, because we are focused more on the actual getting good at music aspect as opposed to the promoting ourselfs it's closer to the pitcher of beer side of the spectrum
exactly first practice your ass own and then you will have to promote yourself also. otherwise you will end up in nowhere. it isn't easy but is possible
鋼の錬金術師