I'm totally digging the sound of Crossroads by Cream atm, and i'm wondering if that tone comes from fuzz pedal(s) or from overdrive. I am pretty sure there are cranked Marshalls in there but i'm not sure if there's fuzz too.
thaaanx =)
Last edited by The Masterplan at Feb 4, 2008,
I think what he did in the studio was basically crank up his Marshalls so much so that they naturally distorted. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like being deaf.
I'd use a fuzz pedal myself and try and mess with it until you get a controllable sorta sound. OD wouldn't give enough drive in my opinion.
That was his EC's famous 'woman' tone, cranked bluesbreaker, Gibson LP on neck PUP with the tone on 0 (or very low anyway)

I dont think he had it like that all the time, just most soloes.
Quote by Hakanku
That was his EC's famous 'woman' tone, cranked bluesbreaker, Gibson LP on neck PUP with the tone on 0 (or very low anyway)

I dont think he had it like that all the time, just most soloes.

Eh, you're talking about early 60's era Cream, with the neck pup on his SG through a cranked Bluesbreaker.

His tone on Crossroads is using a ES-335 through a JMP, not a Bluesbreaker.
High as tits
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Eh, you're talking about early 60's era Cream, with the neck pup on his SG through a cranked Bluesbreaker.

wow, you seem to know your stuff !

do you know if he used a treble booster ?
a fuzz or several fuzzes ?
overdrive pedal(s) ?
Early Clapton tone is pure valve overdrive with the tone on the guitar rolled off a bit, no other effects or anything.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
EC was using a ES335 on Crossroads, switched to the bridge PU with a only a little bit of tone rolled off for that "snarly" tone. He never used fuzz pedals with Cream, opting to get that sound from natural valve overdrive. His amp of choice was a 100W Marshall Plexi head with 2 4x12 Cabs loaded with 25W celestion speakers. Obviously if you want to replicate the tone exactly its going to cost you an arm and a leg, but a decent, creamy sounding OD pedal such as a Tubescreamer or similar should do the trick.

Oh, and btw, the tone on Crossroads isn't the "woman tone" - that is when the neck PU is used on max volume with all tone rolled off. If you try that you'll notice it sounds entirely different from the recording of Crossroads. The Crossroads tone is more akin to EC's "Bluesbreakers" tone, when he predominantly used the bridge PU with a little tone rolled off for a sweet, searing sound.

QED.
Quote by ECwomantoneman
EC was using a ES335 on Crossroads, switched to the bridge PU with a only a little bit of tone rolled off for that "snarly" tone. He never used fuzz pedals with Cream, opting to get that sound from natural valve overdrive. His amp of choice was a 100W Marshall Plexi head with 2 4x12 Cabs loaded with 25W celestion speakers. Obviously if you want to replicate the tone exactly its going to cost you an arm and a leg, but a decent, creamy sounding OD pedal such as a Tubescreamer or similar should do the trick.

Oh, and btw, the tone on Crossroads isn't the "woman tone" - that is when the neck PU is used on max volume with all tone rolled off. If you try that you'll notice it sounds entirely different from the recording of Crossroads. The Crossroads tone is more akin to EC's "Bluesbreakers" tone, when he predominantly used the bridge PU with a little tone rolled off for a sweet, searing sound.

QED.

i'm pretty sure he did use them with cream. listen to sunshine of your love, that definitely sounds like fuzz to me

huh ? so what did he use for Crossroads ? a plexi or a JMP ???

could a tubescreamer give me that typical crossroads tone with a fender hot rod deluxe at very low volumes ? or do you mean if you use the tubescreamer on an already cranked amp ?
Yep, according to Clapton, Sunshine of Your Love was done with his SG, 100W Marshall Plexi (in a little studio room too!!!) and nothing else. No wonder he's practically deaf now.

Crossroads was also done through a 100W Plexi, (1959SLP) which was Clapton's standard gigging amp until circa late 1969 when he moved onto Fender amps.

I've not got a whole lot of experience with Tubescreamers, but if you use the boost function on it you can "crank" your valve amp at a lower volume. The amount of distortion you want is up to you really, so you can be the one to adjust volume accordingly

If you dial in the tones right you can get the Crossroads tone I'm sure. Can't say I've found the exact sound yet myself, but hopefully I will with the arrival of a lil' bro 50W Plexi in the not-to-distant future
Quote by Suicidal_Brick

My post was aimed at the guy above me who said about tone on 0, but I didnt say so
Quote by FreedomFighter
I think what he did in the studio was basically crank up his Marshalls so much so that they naturally distorted. I wouldn't recommend it unless you like being deaf.
I'd use a fuzz pedal myself and try and mess with it until you get a controllable sorta sound. OD wouldn't give enough drive in my opinion.

+1 yea, i think the recording manager person called him crazy and threatened to throw him out or something like that
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
sorry to bring this thread back up but i need advice to help me work on the sound of my band.

i want to introduce a psychedelic rock influence into my music but i am pretty clueless about how to get that 60s tone. my the od on my ac15 doesnt really hit the spot for stuff like cream. what settings/effects/other things that effect the sound did eric use? im looking for a tone like in strange brew to make my sound more interesting.

im sure guitar geek said cream uses fuzz.
You'd be surprised of the tone I can get on my ES-335, with my '57 Twin cranked up, on the neck pick up.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
He cranked his amp(s) up full and just used the natural overdrive, nothing else.
You can try to replicate it with an OD pedal for best results without buying a big valve marshall and crankin it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
use an OD and fuzz together. RAT is a good fuzz sound for that. i run an SD-1 overdrive into the RAT and viola. or crank a tube amp and add fuzz as needed.
I'm guessing fuzz pedal, but use ur neck p-up and roll the tone knawbs.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
An EHX Double Muff and Bad Monkey together will e the best budget pedal combo for any 60's and 70's blues rock.
Quote by pepperfunk
just listen to White Room and you guys are telling me Clapton never used fuzz, lol idiots

Ever heard of a cranked Marshall?

Maybe he did use fuzz, maybe he didn't. One thing's for sure, it sounded damn fine!