And it seems to work as advertised, but at the same time, if I've got any heavy sounding chords playing, it seems to muffle out all other stuff that I'm playing. Am I not using the settings properly, or is the quality of my amp the biggest factor?

My amp is a Roland Microcube. If I'm not mistaken, it's a 2W amplifier. I get the feeling that this amp is my problem.
Record chords at a lower volume.

That's all I can suggest!

Edit - a 2W amp?
Quote by Tomaz24
Edit - a 2W amp?

-Ultra-compact DSP guitar amp with 5-inch/2-watt low magnetic leakage speaker

-Runs on battery or AC power (adapter supplied) and includes carry strap

-7 COSM guitar amp models including JC-120 and a special mic preamp model

-6 DSP effects: chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo and separate Delay/Reverb

-New Digital Tuning Fork with support for flat tunings up to 2 semitones

-Recording/Headphones output and stereo Auxiliary input for CD players, etc.

Roland Micro Cube

It's my first amp (only start playing like 4 1/2 months ago) and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. It's super portable!
This pedal works best in an effects loop...but that amp most likely lacks one.

The same thing happens to me when I have it in my guitar line in, but only if I am on a gain channel (as in, its overdriving AFTER the RC-20).

So my suggested solutions:
1.) lower the gain/take it off the gain channel on the amp
2.) adjust the "level" and "inst" knobs on the unit (try lowering both first, you might be exceeding the headroom of the amp)
3.) play with more consistent dynamics (don't play heavy chords)

Ultimately, its probably the quality/wattage of the amp that will affect it most.
Hope that helped a little.
Quote by lrata
This pedal works best in an effects loop...but that amp most likely lacks one.

The same thing happens to me when I have it in my guitar line in, but only if I am on a gain channel (as in, its overdriving AFTER the RC-20).

So my suggested solutions:
1.) lower the gain/take it off the gain channel on the amp
2.) adjust the "level" and "inst" knobs on the unit (try lowering both first, you might be exceeding the headroom of the amp)
3.) play with more consistent dynamics (don't play heavy chords)

Ultimately, its probably the quality/wattage of the amp that will affect it most.
Hope that helped a little.

I'll try that. I usually have my amp set on it's clean setting, but with the gain cranked up. I'll take a lot of the gain off and maybe it'll help.