ok, im going to get a jem 555 white for next xmas and i want to know

1) does it say Jem Jr. on the headstock.

2)I live in the uk so would it be cheaper to buy one from the usa and import it to england.

3)would you reccomend the jem 555 for gigging regularly and playing in your bedroom.

4)Does anyone have any pics/reviews/feedback of their jem 555
Don't, because:

-you're paying Prestige prices for a non-Prestige guitar

-the only things that sets this apart from a regular Korean RG are the pickups and a few cosmetic touches.

-it's called JEM JR. for a reason.

-you're paying hundreds just for the Steve Vai name on your guitar.

-it's one of the most overpriced signatures I can think off.

-the value for money is terrbile.

-if you want to do crazy whammy stuff with it, be prepared to add 150-200 dollars to the pricetag for a new trem.

-you can get something like an RG1570 for much cheaper and that guitar already has a better trem (plus a better neck, better quality control and better materials).

The JEM555 is one of the worst deals Ibanez currently has to offer; I know the regular JEMs aren't cheap either, but at least they're good guitars with quality parts.

By taking a bog standard Korean RG and slapping on half of the vine inlay, a fancy scratchplate, a few cosmetic touches like a 'Steve Vai' inlay at the 24th fret and some new pickups they've created a guitar which is equal in quality, but about three times the price of the regular production model this started out as.

If you want to go the cheap route, get an RG370DX and swap out the trem after a while. You can swap the pickups too, provided you have an amp that actually justifies swapping the old ones out.

If you want the best solution, get an RG1570.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
I don't really recommend the jem555.

How about the 1570, it has a better tremolo I believe and also is cheaper I think.
Quote by jake911
I don't really recommend the jem555.

How about the 1570, it has a better tremolo I believe and also is cheaper I think.

The RG1570 is cheaper, indeed.

Also, it's an allround better guitar.
Quote by 762ghost

Of course I have, but the main difference is that the EVH is a good, quality, guitar.

It might be overpriced, very overpriced, but it's a unique collectors item, whereas the JEM555 is a Korean RG.

Another thing is that the EVH is limited and I don't think that many of the EVH's customers buy it for anything else than it's rarity and status as a collectors item.

The 555 on the other hand is bought because people like Steve Vai and think they'll get close to his gear by getting this.

Although, think about this: if the EVH copy is as close as they claim it is to the original, aren't you paying 25.000$ for a guitar made from B-stock parts?
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Feb 4, 2008,
the jem555 is only £200 more expensive than the RG 1570 cos i would be prepared to pay the xtra 200 quid for the vai cosmetics if it is a half decent guitar.

is the jem555, minus all of the cosmetics etc. a good guitar? or is it really bad?
Quote by liam123
the jem555 is only £200 more expensive than the RG 1570 cos i would be prepared to pay the xtra 200 quid for the vai cosmetics if it is a half decent guitar.

is the jem555, minus all of the cosmetics etc. a good guitar? or is it really bad?

It's a Korean RG.

The RG1570 is MIJ, has a better trem (which is good for Vai stuff), has a better neck, better quality materials and better quality control than the JEM555.

If you want a cheap copy of a JEM though, the JEM555 is the way to go; you're paying hundreds for Vai's name and it will be far less in quality then the real JEM's.

The RG1570 may not have half of a vine inlay, or a monkey grip, but it's a much better guitar. Cosmetics are nice, but personally, I would never pay so much for such cheap little details...
TBH, all i want is a guitar with the vai look for a cheap price. I'm a pretty good guitar player however I wont be doing too much of the bad horsie stuff with the tremelo.
2 Xmas's ago=Yamaha RGX 121Z

Last Xmas=ESP LTD EX50

Next Xmas=???
Quote by liam123
TBH, all i want is a guitar with the vai look for a cheap price. I'm a pretty good guitar player however I wont be doing too much of the bad horsie stuff with the tremelo.

Then by all means go ahead.

If you want a JEM, but for little money, the 555 should be what you're looking for.

You're paying three times too much for it, but hey, it's your call.

Korean RG's can be nice, there's just the matter of the Edge III and the sometimes lacking quality control. Compared to the Japanese Ibanez guitars, they're much lower in quality, but if that doesn't bother you...
i played one, and it is like playing a fake guitar...a TOY!

do not get it, it just looks cool but nothing more!

waste of money!
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Amerikhastan
So you're saying the look of the guitar is more important than the quality and how well it plays?

surely, this guitar will play better than a £200 yamaha?
2 Xmas's ago=Yamaha RGX 121Z

Last Xmas=ESP LTD EX50

Next Xmas=???
Yes, it probably will play better than the Yamaha. the point they are making is you are going to waste a substantial amount of money on a "look" rather than paying for the quality level it is. For the same money you could get a better guitar only because it doesn't say VAI
Washburn N4
Gibson Les Paul Standard 60's neck
Warmoth Strat w/ SD and fender PU's
Carvin VL212
ADA MP1
Boss GT-10
Yeah.. it'll play better than alot of guitars, but the main point in ost of these responses is that you're paying too much. If you're going that far, you may as well just save up for a REALY jem.

Even though I think they are crap guitars.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
I've never played the JEMs, but just from reading everyones responses, I would stay away from the 555, and either get the JEM77, or just go for another Prestige RG... a PGM301 perhaps? http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?itemid=40491&sourcetype=singleitemsearch

There are a lot of great options out there, but I think you've been told enough times that the JEM555 is not one of them.