Page 1 of 2
Here's a few lessons on how not to sound like an idiot when you talk about music

Lesson #1 Get Your Facts Straight
Make make sure when saying a certain genre of music sucks that one of your favorite bands doesn't happen to be one of the most popular or well known band of that genre for ex:

Random person - Grunge sucks
Me - Why are you wearing a Nirvana shirt?
Random Person - Cuz they're one of my favorite bands
Me - You know that they're a grunge band right?
Random person - No they're not they're punk

Here's where the person went wrong: not only does he like a grunge band he happens to be wearing their shirt and they also happen to be the most well known band of that genre.

Here's how to rephrase that conversation so you don't sound like a retard

Random person - I personally hate grunge except for Nirvana they happen to be the only one I like

Lesson #2 Not Everybody Likes The Same Music You Do
Not only do you sound like an idiot when you are surprised that somebody hates your favorite band you also look like a friggen asshole. I don't need an example cuz you all probably have run into somebody who has dissed your favorite band so the only thing you need to know is that everybody has different tastes in music get over it

Lesson #3 Screaming Is Not Singing
Pretty self explanitory so next time you engage in a coversation of who is a good singer don't say your favorite metal vocalist unless he/she actually sings instead of scream.

Lesson #4 Speed Is Not A Sign Of Skill
So you can play very fast........WHO CARES!!! Just because you can play fast doesn't mean you're good you can still sound like ****, saying you can play really fast doesn't mean you're good that's like saying you can drive very fast doesn't make you a good driver you can still have an accident.

Lesson #5 Real Music Doesn't Only Involve Screaming
I've heard this countless times from idiots who only think that "it's not real music because they don't scream in it." In this situation just shut the hell up the more you talk the dumber you sound.

Lesson #6 Who Cares If They're Popular
I hear this from quite a few people they say they hate a certain band cuz they're overrated cuz they're popular and they only like bands that nobody has heard of cuz they aren't overrated and they feel special cuz nobody else has heard of them but as soon as the band becomes famous they hate them cuz they're now overrated.
The lesson for this is to also shut the hell up because you will also sound like an idiot the more you talk.

There's probably more but here's all that come to mind now
Woah, I'm totally going to print this off for a reference next time I engage in a conversation about music. Thank you so much.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I agree with Lesson #6, So so true...
My Band's Myspace

Quote by sizzlefizzle
when it comes to girls, the best thing to do is to just give up on trying to understand them.

cant live with 'em, cant live without certain parts of 'em.
Of course speed is a sign of skill. It's not the only sign, but playing fast, clear notes is actually very difficult and takes talent. Talent = skill. Also screaming takes talent if you do it properly, just not the same "type" of talent as singing.

Boy, I sure hope I don't sound like an idiot...
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Number 3 and 5 basically say the same thing, you could probably combine them.
I concur with the rest of the stuff though.
Quote by Capua47
i think pearl jam is more known than nirvana..

I'm just pointing out the fact that the idiot hates a genre of music but listen's to a band that's one of the more well known of that particular genre
rules 3,4,5 don't agree with rule 2.
some ppl may prefer screaming, other may prefer speed, just because you who wrote the rules, doesn't like them, doesn't mean they should be part of teh rules
For lesson 1

I've been told about this:

(In a music class)

Teacher: ''What's the time signature here?''
Guy: ''Crescendo''
Teacher: ''Erm...''

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Last edited by Stuarttt-1 at Feb 4, 2008,
i think its funny that in #2 you say "Not Everybody Likes The Same Music You Do
everybody has different tastes in music get over it" then in #3 and #5 you proceed to bash a style of music that YOU don't like. how about you take your own advice and "GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!"
I'm so sorry, excuse me for living,
I didn't know, didn't know your a psycho!
-Carolines Spine "Psycho"
I'd probably have to add dont say things like "Real" music... How the **** can music be anything but music, it may not be something you like/have taken any skill to make but by definition it's still music
Edited for simplicity...

Quote by chinkboy7
Here's a few lessons on how not to sound like an idiot when you talk about music

Lesson #1
Don't run off at the jibs over sh*t you know NOTHING about
Should put this on a shirt...
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by Randy_Rhoads44
everybody has different tastes in music get over it" then in #3 and #5 you proceed to bash a style of music that YOU don't like. how about you take your own advice and "GET OVER IT!!!!!!!!!!"

Exactly.

Jeez louise...
"A war is coming, I've seen it in my dreams. Fires sweeping through the earth, bodies in the streets, cities turned to dust. Retaliation..."

Check out my amazing band!
An Abstract Illusion
I personally wouldn't follow these guide lines seeing as the person who wrote them is known as "chinkboy7."

It just doesn't scream "LISTEN TO ME I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT." If you get my drift
Quote by Ichikurosaki
fenrir you legendary legend man

I'm a legendary legend
Quote by Kensai
Maybe there's a connection between intelligence and obesity? Hmmmmm...

Kefka of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM Metacarpi, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by fenrir182
I personally wouldn't follow these guide lines seeing as the person who wrote them is known as "chinkboy7."

It just doesn't scream "LISTEN TO ME I KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT." If you get my drift

Quote by Randy_Rhoads44

I'm not bashing that music it's just the fact that screaming isn't particularly screaming and #5 is the fact that people tell me that the only good music in this world is music that involves screaming I'm staying in line with #2 by saying that you should keep you're mind open to the fact that not everyone likes the same music you do that also goes for those who think that the only real music is music that only sings and doesn't scream
Quote by Joe-Fish
Woah, I'm totally going to print this off for a reference next time I engage in a conversation about music. Thank you so much.

that was perfect.
Quote by Gsaws
This pleases me.

+1
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by BringMeTheCalm
Of course speed is a sign of skill. It's not the only sign, but playing fast, clear notes is actually very difficult and takes talent. Talent = skill. Also screaming takes talent if you do it properly, just not the same "type" of talent as singing.

Boy, I sure hope I don't sound like an idiot...

I agree. I too am an idiot. or am i? AM I??

race car drivers drive fast, they also get into a lot accidents. However, they are very talented drivers. It would be an unsolvable paradox in your case.
Gear:
Inflatable Guitar
Digitech GSP 2101/Mosvalve 962/Yamaha S412V
My Imagination
Hey theres just as much skill to screaming as there is to singing and people who can mix the two are the true vocal masters, screamers that you never thought of are like Roger Daltrey he screams alot just not hardcore or nething. Stephen Tyler uses it to create a really emotional style to a note or lyric. Robert Plant uses it sparingly that is just wonderful when you hear it right. Bert Mckraken just listen to some used softer stuff he slips in and out of the scream so seemlessly that its just amazing. Just don't bash wut u don't understand and try and listen a bit more before you talk.
Quote by chinkboy7

Pretty self explanitory so next time you engage in a coversation of who is a good singer don't say your favorite metal vocalist unless he/she actually sings instead of scream.

I've heard this countless times from idiots who only think that "it's not real music because they don't scream in it." In this situation just shut the hell up the more you talk the dumber you sound.

There's probably more but here's all that come to mind now

Indeed well screaming actually takes a fair amount of skill. You sound like an idiot saying that screaming isn't music. If you truly believe that everyone has different tastes in music and people shouldn't dis others tastes then you shouldn't dis screaming.
Dip****.
Quote by chinkboy7

Lesson #4 Speed Is Not A Sign Of Skill
So you can play very fast........WHO CARES!!! Just because you can play fast doesn't mean you're good you can still sound like ****, saying you can play really fast doesn't mean you're good that's like saying you can drive very fast doesn't make you a good driver you can still have an accident.

thats a joke right? "screaming" as you call it requires a lot of vocal talent. the whole list was pretty pointless. speed takes good technique. if you say that a shredd3r cannot play "good music" then you are being dumb. what if i hate the blues and i like the sound of scales blazing up and down the neck? you TS, are an idiot.
Guy: rock sucks

Me: *pulls out "How To Not Sound Like an Idiot In A Music Conversation guide*...GET OVER IT!

Guy:

Perfect!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by chinkboy7
I'm not bashing that music it's just the fact that screaming isn't particularly screaming and #5 is the fact that people tell me that the only good music in this world is music that involves screaming I'm staying in line with #2 by saying that you should keep you're mind open to the fact that not everyone likes the same music you do that also goes for those who think that the only real music is music that only sings and doesn't scream

^I think you ment singing.

Screaming takes a sh1tload of skill. You are bashing it. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't as good as regular singing. Screaming and singing are equally hard pig squealing is also hard. Listen to some Job for a Cowboy and see how the vocalist changes between screaming and pig squealing. Now try doing it. It isn't easy.
Grunge isn't even a genre of music, it was a scene.

Get your facts straight.
Last.fm

WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS
AND WE ARE THE DREAMERS OF THE DREAMS
I love how some of you like to pick out a few choice words and state something that isn't in it for example

nowhere in the whole thing did I say screaming isn't real music I'm saying some people think that that's the only kind of music that everyone should listen to, this is pretty much stating in #2 that you should be open minded about music, and I should probably reword #4 so it makes more sense.
You're being hypocritical by saying that we should accept others opinions and then bashing metal because the singers scream. I'm not a fan of metal either, but I don't bash it.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
Grunge isn't even a genre of music, it was a scene.

Get your facts straight.

Not strictly true. There are no specific rules or facts about this.

Sigh this thread...
Page 1 of 2