Hi,
I'm 18 and I've played the guitar for quite a while now, and I want to become a good singer. I'm just looking for advice on how to begin. I've looked for advice on singing lessons, but it seems like everything on the internet wants you to pay. Is it possible to practice singing on your own, or does it demand a one-on-one teacher? If not, could somebody direct me to a site which educates me on how to go about beginning this adventure? My music is mostly alternativeish, perhaps like the strokes but not as good. Mostly power chords to a crisp beat, with melodies played over them, though I supose that could describe pretty much any song.
Thanks for any help guys,
-jake
Maybe join a choir but if your just gonna sing like in a rock band or something just sing it'll come naturally as breathing if you got it in you man just feel the music headbang when its heavy and you'll get into it make faces the perpetrate the emotion that the lyrics are tying to get across just feel it just like a lead guitar player has to feel the rhythm prior to playing lead over it.
Quote by Greendrag92
Maybe join a choir but if your just gonna sing like in a rock band or something just sing it'll come naturally as breathing if you got it in you man just feel the music headbang when its heavy and you'll get into it make faces the perpetrate the emotion that the lyrics are tying to get across just feel it just like a lead guitar player has to feel the rhythm prior to playing lead over it.

Your advice isn't really that good. I mean even I can tell that you don't really know what you're talking about. Then again neither do I.
Singing in tune and singing higher notes will probably be hard at first , but it will be easier to master if you take vocal training. Sure, singing in the shower might help you get better, but to make real progress you should try to find a music teacher.

As I mentioned before I'm not really a singer, so I don't know much about these kinds of things, so don't take my advice too seriously
What about yelling into a mic? Is there any way to imitate the sound?
Listen up, class... today's assignment: KICK SOME @$$.
take lessons BUT you can on your own to start with all you need is a guitar tuner and a keyboard or guitar
hit a note at random and sing it without acending or decending to it if you dont do it at first then practice untill you can that should tune your ears to your voice
after that you should find the lower notes and the high notes hard to get then get a singing teacher to train it fourther to get more range
i hope that helps stuart
Try singing reallly simple songs with really simple chord progressions to start. Sufjan stevens is a good example to work with (chicago, Casimir pulaski day, john wayne gacy jr.) or neil young in many cases (after the goldrush, down by the river).

I found that starting out singing quietly was easier for me. If you have trouble holding a note, don't be afraid to push and put more volume and air behind it.

Practice is probably the best way to get better. Also, if your playing while singing, make sure you can play the song forwards and backwards. It should be natural.

sorry, I'm not the best singer either but that's the best advice I have to offer. Good luck

And the strokes are amazing by the way.
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Someone posted a link to the vocal thread in the Musician Talk forum. Please wander over and check it out, starting with the links in the first post to the articles SingingSabre wrote. I look forward to seeing you over there.

Mods, time to close this thread.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker