I wrote this song, and i can play it with or without a capo,
but its easier and sounds better with one...

Will people think im cheating/crap if i use the capo?

Many thanks!
its not cheating.... wtf are you talking about?
it just transposes it to another key
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
capos rule, play it in all different positions til you find something incredible.
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Noel Gallagher (oasis) uses one for many songs...
it's pro shizzle x)
My buddies are anti capo. And its sorta lame to use a capo to make it easyer to play a cover song if it wasnt used origionaly. But key changes are key for alota stuff and a capo is very usefull.
Quote by rojomeansred
Hmm...Turns out their is such a thing as a stupid question.

i was just wondering. Not really that stupid, i thought asking questions was a good way of learning things. just chill out
Quote by zakattak_

Many thanks!

if it sound better.... who cares what anyone thinks.

If you like it that way, there is no reason to change it. capos do NOT = cheating/crap

one of the things they do offer is a change of timbre by shortening the strings. This is a nice effect, and is probably what you like about it sound wise.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by zakattak_
i was just wondering. Not really that stupid, i thought asking questions was a good way of learning things. just chill out

Asking is a good way of learning...but asking stupid questions is a good way to get flamed. Why do you care if people think you're cheating anyways? If they do they probably don't play guitar or suck at it.
Quote by rojomeansred
Asking is a good way of learning...but asking stupid questions is a good way to get flamed. Why do you care if people think you're cheating anyways? If they do they probably don't play guitar or suck at it.

actually saying anything on this forum is a good way to get flamed because there are so many people just waiting for the opportunity to point out that someone else is wrong.

His question was valid, and its answered so why not leave it at that.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 4, 2008,
^ unless of course you use the konami code to get 30 extra men..... wait.... no..... thats not right.....

of course a capo isn't cheating, thats ridiculous!! i use one all the time, especially when i tune low and want to play a song in standard tuning.
It's cheating when you tune to drop D and capo on second fret to make power chords easier but happy sounding.
Quote by ProgFan
It's cheating when you tune to drop D and capo on second fret to make power chords easier but happy sounding.

what??? who does that, and how does it make it "happy sounding"? LOL !

your just like joking right? cause that is pretty funny that someone would think that.
shred is gaudy music
Drop D sounds harsher because it's lower - dropped to a D. Capoing on two brings the bottom back up to E, but lets you play power chords like in Drop D tuning.

Quote by Wikipedia
Some guitarists choose to use a capo on the second fret with this tuning so that they can retain the ease of playing power chords without the darker sound created by the D tuning.

Blink 182 does it on 'Feeling This'.

I honestly wish I were kidding.
Last edited by ProgFan at Feb 4, 2008,
How would it be cheating? That's lame.

People need to transpose songs often because it simply isn't in their god-given vocal-range, that they were born with.
Quote by ProgFan
Drop D sounds harsher because it's lower - dropped to a D. Capoing on two brings the bottom back up to E, but lets you play power chords like in Drop D tuning.

Drop D doesn't create a dark sound, the guitarist makes the dark sound..

Wikipedia can be wrong too

Anyway, capos aren't cheating. Use one if you want to
Quote by GuitarMunky
what??? who does that, and how does it make it "happy sounding"? LOL !

your just like joking right? cause that is pretty funny that someone would think that.

Tommy Emmanuel did that on Angelina.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU

Not for the power chord aspect obviously...but dropping the E to D and adding a capo is perfectly fine in general.
Last edited by theodds at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by ProgFan

tuning low doesn't make a song "harsher" certain intervals have that effect. and even though tuning to drop D just to capo it and bring it back to E is pretty lame (and it IS pretty lame) there are some advantages it might have over standard E. prolly not in the song you mentioned but drop tunings afford alternate fingerings some chords ASIDE from powerchords are easier to play, also drop tunings are used in classical guitar, are you gonna say CLASSICAL GUITARISTS OF ALL F#CKING GUITARSISTS CHEAT!?!?!?!? i don't f#cking think so
I can understand why some people say you should not use a capo. I do not use one, and I am against someone playing a song with a capo, and then without a capo, and then putting a different melody on it and saying they are too songs. However capos can be useful in certain instances (Hotel California for example).

Anyways, the use of a capo can limit your guitar's range, so if you are able to use barres rather than a capo, it can give you a few more notes, which may or may not be useful (as well as saving you $20). Some people say X guitarist is not good because he uses a capo, when he only knows 10 chords, and then capos, and is unable to barre. If you are able to barre, but like the sound of a capo better, then there should be no problem. Some songs might need a C#7 chord using the same inversion as the B7 open shape, which would be impossible for a person to play with the four fingers we have.
Quote by theodds
Tommy Emmanuel did that on Angelina.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU

Not for the power chord aspect obviously...but dropping the E to D and adding a capo is perfectly fine in general.

yeah, ofcourse it is. Im not the one saying its a problem. Im laughing at the fact that someone would say its cheating... and to think people use it to make it sound "happier.

I was responding to this:

Quote by ProgFan
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Yes, people will think you are cheating.

Yes, people can be fucking retarted.

i know a guy who refuses to play in ANY tuning other than standard..... somewhere along the way he got the idea that playing in any tuning other than standard is cheating because it can make things "easier" (he thinks playing in drop D is for people who don't know how to play, because yes, dimebag didn't know how to play guitar) i also find it ironic that he got kicked out of berklee about a semester or 2 in because he couldn't hack it...... (i wonder if his close minded nature could have had something to do with it?.... hmmmm.......)
Making it easier is not cheating. Playing guitar is about the music that comes out, and if that music comes out right it doesn't matter how you get there.
If it sounds better to play a song in a different key, using a capo is easier than retuning or transposing and refingering your entire piece.

If you're using a bad technique that makes things easier now but will make things more difficult for you in the future, that's cheating.

The only cheating when you're playing guitar is cheating yourself.
THeres only one reason to not use a capo when your playing a song in a new key. And that is you lose the ablilty to play harmonious notes that are lower then where you have your capo. Sometimes depending on the song your better off not using a capo. dont let that stop you.
Quote by zakattak_

Many thanks!

Are these people also the same geniuses who think that de-tuning is cheating? Hahha.

Use a damn capo.
Quote by Crashton
THeres only one reason to not use a capo when your playing a song in a new key. And that is you lose the ablilty to play harmonious notes that are lower then where you have your capo. Sometimes depending on the song your better off not using a capo. dont let that stop you.

Well, in general, when you play songs in a new key using a capo, you're going to be playing the songs the exact same way relative to the capo, so there won't be any notes below the capo that you'd need to use. Unless you're changing the arrangement of the song or I'm totally misunderstanding you, that's not an issue at all.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.