Well here’s the thing. I'm 17 and I have a job working in a supermarket/garage which I’ve had for about four months. I don’t mind the job itself and I live literally five mins away from it so it’s practical. However…

(here comes the list of counter points)

I’m pretty sure, I’m working there illegally as I’m selling cigarettes and alcohol and I’m not yet 18.

I’m paid 3.40 an hour, I do crap loads, the same, sometimes more than the person who is working with me who is officially my “superior” who is on at least the minimum for a 18 year old. Yet I have friends my age who work in town for more, doing much less.

For ages I worked stressful hours, taking up my whole weekend and stuff. Recently, about a month a bit ago I requested my hours were cut to only 10 a week so I concentrate on my 4 as-levels and have a social life again. I checked the work layout, and that 10 hours, already seems to be changing. And now I’m being called up, as if I’m their only hope, wondering if I can work from 6.30am to around 9am the day after I have a five hour shift in the evening, on a school day. I’ve been told that might not even be legal. If I’m paid so little, why should I make an effort on my most busy school day?

I never had an induction, I literally got chucked in one night and had to figure most of it out myself, how ever embarrassing that was for me. To this day I’m still unsure about certain things and no one seems to be able to give me a concrete answer on how to handle things. It feels completely disorganized around the place.

Although I’d hate going back to my pocket money per month, which would make getting games and learning to drive seriously difficult, I’ve realized these next two school years are seriously important. Of people working, I seem to be one of few doing 4 as-levels with the intention of carrying all of them through next year as well. Maybe I should concentrate on my studies and having fun with my mates.

Last thing, in my long winded counter argument - my band are getting pretty well known now. We’ve won competitions of the country and once we’ve recorded an album could be looking at serious profit, as well as regular paid gigs. There’s a chance I could get similar income from that soon enough.

HELP ME UG! I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO!
Umm... quit?

Seems like a reasonable solution.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Yer just find another job, £3.40 per hour in the UK is unacceptable. I think thats below minimum age.
definetly quite...minimum wage is $7.15 a hour and your only getting paid $3.40, well minimum wage could be less where you are but still $3.40 that sucks especially for all that work. You should just get a job on the books and they can't under pay you or over work you.
Quote by Themann810
whenever im about to bang a chick she turns into a guy WTF why does this happen
i was on £4.25, 8 hours on a saturday, as well as 4 ASs (lul, ass), the job started to piss me off and i could do it twice as good as some of the clowns there, but got paid LESS, JUST because i was younger.

so i figured i didnt need wouldnt miss the money (especially for the sime i'd gain), and left. i love having the free time again, and no stress and late friday nights. dont regret a thing.

good luck bud

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
If you think its illegal, complain to trading standards. You are likely to get some money from it, if tis illegal/in breach of any regulations.
Quote by Alter-Bridge
If I had sex as much as you said the word "shit" I would be paris hilton.

Quote by rworsl
I have never felt closer to either cheese or weasels

Quote by Vermintide

DURN THING DUN GONE MESS UP AGIYAN. MARGE, FETCH ME MAH BOOMSTIYAK
Sounds exactly like my job... I'm quitting next week.
Quote by spazzymagee417
i would pay more for a midget corpse than an average size corpse
just to be sure...you are saying 3.40 in pounds, not dollars, correct? either way, quit
Quote by ampzz525
definetly quite...minimum wage is $7.15 a hour and your only getting paid $3.40, well minimum wage could be less where you are but still $3.40 that sucks especially for all that work. You should just get a job on the books and they can't under pay you or over work you.

its GBP (£ you silly billy
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
Quote by ampzz525

3.40 in euros or pounds is about on par with North American dollar minimum wage.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
:O Are you from the US??? If so, I would sue them! $5.15 (I think it's higher now) is the federal minimum wage...
I'm in AS year as well. I'm currently working technically illegal hours, I do like 16/17 hours at the weekend plus occasional stuff during the week. However, I like my job so I don't mind doing extra, plus I get more money that way .

I suggest you start looking for another job if you aren't happy. Once you've found something, make sure it's confirmed then quit the supermarket job. Just try and make sure you don't go without work for any period of time. The sudden decrease in income, even if only for a couple of weeks, can be incredibly inconvenient.
Quote by buckethead_jr
^And known for that bloody awesome croissant with a crown.
Man that's badass.

MINE SIG R PINK
Quit and either focus on your band or get a much better job. Just quit, it's not worth it, even if you can't get another job.
:stickpoke
Quote by RockInPeaceDime
:O Are you from the US??? If so, I would sue them! $5.15 (I think it's higher now) is the federal minimum wage...

It's over 7 dollars an hour in the US now. But he's in the UK
:stickpoke
lol, im 17 and i get flat rate, so anyone who works where i do gets 5.55 until you reach the next level of rank. though we are expected to stay after hours at most half an hour to refill and tidy up the shop. its GAME .not a bad job but u do haveta work hella lot to get through the tons of cutomers.
Gear:
Wasburn x-40w/floyd roseOFR
Swineshead venom+warthog pups
Kustom 100 wt quad DFX,Boss MT-2,Ibanez TS-7
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nmw/#b

You are being paid the UK minimum wage, so that's just what it is...there are mot many jobs which will pay an under 18 more.

As far as the rest goes, ask someone. If you are still unsure about how to do some things, ask. If you think your supervisor is taking the piss and slacking off, then talk to the next person up, his boss.

EDIT: But if you are quitting, ffs make sure that you do your notice period, it will make getting another job so much easier, I know from experience that having a black spot on the CV which you can't explain is far more trouble then it's worth to work the (two week?) notice.
Member of the Nobuo Uematsu Fan Club

FFIX and FFXII Fan

The pit on incest....

Quote by wiggy1988
more like WINcest amirite?
Last edited by alex831 at Feb 5, 2008,
i had a crappy job too, so i just started looking for another one without stopping working while i was looking; most applications have a bit where you can say you will quit your current job if you get the one you are aplying for. with the experience you've got you might actually find it pretty easy to get a new job too - i'm working at halfords now, and in my interview the manager pretty much offered me a job before i even opened my mouth!

although i work all weekend, and still hve to study for my A2's, which is a pain in the ass.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm