Page 1 of 2
I recently got a Fretless Warwick Corvette and I've really been having fun playing it. I know that fretless basses are usually used to play jazz, but I've just been playing regular old rock bass lines on it.

Are there any other fretless bass players here? If so, what kind of music do you play?
i just defretted my old pbass... i play just regular old rock and metal
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
i poped the frets off my washburn 4string...i regret nothing...n i play mostly metal but i also play stuff like sublime, AAF, n Flogging Molly
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
I can hear the sound of rotosound chewing up a nice rosewood fretboard... No frets to the rescue, though...
It just seemed a good idea at the time to try putting a tenth in above it, which is a corny interval. But somebody had to do it just once, and now no one can ever do it again.'
I use my fretless for blues and rock sometimes, although I don't really use it that much. But you can use fretless in just about any genre; Steve DiGiorgio and Jeff Ament of Pearl Jam come to mind.
Just remember...

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate."

I've yet to use fretless in any band setting and it doesn't seem like that's going to happen any time soon. However, I love playing it for fun.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I use my fretless for jazz, but also for some alternative, rock and R & B. Lately, I've playing some stuff by Japan, whose bassist Mick Karn was a fretless player.

And though, I am not a huge E Street Band fan, Garry Tallent does play a fretless Spector on occasion, proving its a good mix in basic rock as well.
Don't fretless basses cut through better than fretted basses on average?
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
I play my fretless in a band setting, and while i cant verify against a fretted, the bass pierces [ok not 'pierces', but its heard, K] the mix w/ a 50W amp

mind you its a 20 piece band

EDIT: as for stuff i play, i like playing faster jazz and fusion stuff

I highly recommend Tank! by the seatbelts, look it up on youtube
Last edited by InvaderRen at Feb 4, 2008,
I use mine for rock, blues and jazz. I used it in my last band when we played softer songs, like our cover of Clapton's acoustic version of Layla.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
I have a fretless Corvette as well and I mainly play Funk. Although I do play quite a bit of Jazz and Rock as well.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
I play everything on my fretless. Fretlless bass is the most fun thing since... fretted bass!
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
I play metal and my fretless (aria violin bass, manually de-fretted, go me) sounds just fine for it. If anything I can be heard better and get a lot more powerful low-end when I need it.
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Death used a fretless bass on one of their albums....it was individual thought patterns. if you like metal there's your ticket.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Why has Jaco Pastorius been mentioned yet? THE CREATOR OF FRETLESS BASSES.
Nobody can play as good as him though, but playing his stuff is a blast and a half.
Quote by bowen
Nobody can play as good as him though, but playing his stuff is a blast and a half.

Because that's not the point of the thread? Did you actually read the OP or did you just see fretless and decide to go on a spiel about your favorite bassist?
The point of this thread isn't about barkin back at people either, so nevermind, and read the last part of what I posted before you feel like postin back about it, You didn't even state anything about fretless basses, so bugger off.
Quote by bowen
The point of this thread isn't about barkin back at people either, so nevermind, and read the last part of what I posted before you feel like postin back about it, You didn't even state anything about fretless basses, so bugger off.

Bark bark bark. My first post specifically addressed the OP. I am dropping this now though before it just turns into something even more senseless than it is.
Quote by bowen

*Facepalm*
First of all, the origin of the current electric bass is the double bass, a characteristically fretless instrument which has existed for a few hundred years. And second, (even if you were attempting to state that Jaco was the originator of the fretless "electric bass") the first (documented) fretless electric bass was created by Bill Wyman in 1961, more than ten years before Jaco tore the frets out of his jazz. Now I am not, in any way, attempting to take away from Jaco as a musician. He is a great bassist and a true Originator within his genre as well as music as a whole. I was simply attempting to say that next time you prepare to say some dumbass ****, maybe you should do a little research.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
^ pwnt

TS, if the tone sounds good to you, don't hesitate to play whatever you want.

I don't own a fretless, but I play them every chance I get. My next bass will be fretless if I can't find a T-40.

I play everything that falls under rock/metal, but my style is reminiscent of John Entwistle's
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Feb 5, 2008,
Um yeah, I'd add Led Zeppelin stuff would sound awesome with a Fret-Less (I'd imagine there is a few songs recorded by JPJ with a Fret-Less, one that I know of is "Dazed & Confused").

Oh and definitely second the possibility of playing some Metal on it ("Speed" & "Death" varieties if you've got good in-notation ), namely anything with Steve DiGiorgio in it .

For example in Death he did "Individual Thought Patterns" (which has some killer Fret-Less action, such as the track "The Philosopher") & "Human". In Testament he did "The Gathering" oh and he did a tour later with them, performing some stuff from their more "Death-Metal" style:
e.g.
http://www.stevedigiorgio.com/bin/stevedoa2000-1.asf
http://www.stevedigiorgio.com/bin/stevedoa2000-3.asf
(It's a video DL, just a couple mb) You can easily hear his Bass through the mix & his integration of wicked slides etc.

He was also in his own side-project Jazz-Fusion band, named "Dark Hall" - great stuff (especially for those who are closed off to the large amounts of talent & Musically minded songwriting in Metal ). ***You can DL their Demo, somewhere, I can't remember right now***

Oh and Quo Vadis (haven't gotten the opportunity to listen to them yet) & Scariot's latest album (it's sort of like Control Denied/Death minus Chuck - and with clean Vocals)
/end rant about Steve DiGiorgio
*A side note .... I want a Fret-Less ... got my 6-string Bass .... but Fretted*
Jaco ain't a creator of fretless bass. He had actually purchased a mutilated JB which he later fixed.

Anyhow, fretless are great for that sweet "meowwwbuzz" sound produced by round wounds against the rosewood fretboard. Actually, Hathan East exploits a lot of that particular sound and it sounds great for smooth jazz and pop.
It just seemed a good idea at the time to try putting a tenth in above it, which is a corny interval. But somebody had to do it just once, and now no one can ever do it again.'
Fender made fretless Precisions as early as 1972.

Jacos bass was already semi-defretted when he bought it. Or at least that's one version of the story he told.

John Paul Jones used his Jazz on Dazed and Confused. He used a fretless of In My Time of Dying.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I believe Claypool uses a CT fretless quite a bit.
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
Cool, lot's of fretless players here! I'll admit, I'm not the most technically skilled bass player (read- not very good), but I'm certainly working on it, and I love my new fretless Corvette. It's really a dream to play. I've just got to play as much as possible! I wish there were bands around here, but the area I live in doesn't have a huge music scene... or really any music scene. But I will persevere!

Keep going, fretless players, with your preferences in music! It's really interesting that so many people use it for so many genres.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
Quote by Kuplungmaster
I can hear the sound of rotosound chewing up a nice rosewood fretboard... No frets to the rescue, though...

Can the Type of string damage the fret board, aye?
Quote by jimRH7
Can the Type of string damage the fret board, aye?

If you're asking if certain strings damage a bare fretboard, the answer is yes - roundwounds (especially stainless steel) can really hack away at a fretboard. Many people, including Jaco, covered their fingerboards with epoxy/poly to protect this.

Flatwound strings significantly reduce fingerboard wear, but they sound like flatwounds and still do damage the board (but not as noticible).

Personally, I think rosewood is way too soft a wood to have on a fretless fretboard, period.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
^ yes it can, especially if it is an unfinished neck. Either way, rounds and fretless necks aren't as chummy as they seem. It was known that Jaco practiced on a seperate bass with frets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but JPJ used mostly flatwound strings right?

My buddy defretted his cheapo acoustic bass. Didn't turn out half bad.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Quote by progbass
^ yes it can, especially if it is an unfinished neck. Either way, rounds and fretless necks aren't as chummy as they seem. It was known that Jaco practiced on a seperate bass with frets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but JPJ used mostly flatwound strings right?

My buddy defretted his cheapo acoustic bass. Didn't turn out half bad.

See, in one interview he implied that he did until he used Alembic. Then, in the latest issue of bass player, be basically said "WTF? Why do people keep thinking that? I gave up flatwounds in my session days." But, if that was the case, why did he try flatwounds on an Alembic and proceed to "lose half the guitar?"

A mystery.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
See, in one interview he implied that he did until he used Alembic. Then, in the latest issue of bass player, be basically said "WTF? Why do people keep thinking that? I gave up flatwounds in my session days." But, if that was the case, why did he try flatwounds on an Alembic and proceed to "lose half the guitar?"

A mystery.

FORSTBACK
Quote by Ozzymoose420
FORSTBACK

I'm a forstback, am I?

I must admit, this is the funniest you've been.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by Ozzymoose420
well ur a nigga

Ok, I'm usually pretty lenient on reporting people, but I'm going to have to report you again. Racial slurs aren't tolerated, at all. Maybe once you're done giggling with all of your little friends over how much of an internet hardass you are, you'll realize how immature you're being. You'll learn soon enough that karma's a bitch
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Ozzymoose420
well ur a nigga

*Blows the FMan Summoning Conch*
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08
*Blows the FMan Summoning Conch*

Yep, I'm grabbing popcorn for this one. He should make short work of ozzy.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
How many bans does he get before they IP ban him?

No idea, if he's using a proxy server they can't get him anyways. IP bans would do nothing.
Quote by PatMcRotch

Quote by Wasted Bassist

Page 1 of 2