Page 1 of 2
FBI wants palm prints, eye scans, tattoo mapping

CLARKSBURG, West Virginia (CNN) -- The FBI is gearing up to create a massive computer database of people's physical characteristics, all part of an effort the bureau says to better identify criminals and terrorists.

But it's an issue that raises major privacy concerns -- what one civil liberties expert says should concern all Americans.

The bureau is expected to announce in coming days the awarding of a $1 billion, 10-year contract to help create the database that will compile an array of biometric information -- from palm prints to eye scans.

Kimberly Del Greco, the FBI's Biometric Services section chief, said adding to the database is "important to protect the borders to keep the terrorists out, protect our citizens, our neighbors, our children so they can have good jobs, and have a safe country to live in."

click here for full article
What a surprise
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
I'm going to tattoo my **** now, so when they try to strip search me I can sue for sexual harassment.

It's too crazy NOT to work.
Life is underrated.

Quote by Mad Marius
That's like saying you got cancer that comes with AIDS.
You realize they've been fingerprinting people since just about the time that Ink was invented don't you?

And don't get me started on social security numbers...

My point, aren't we a little late to be upset over this?
You know what I hate? The phrase "civil liberties". They aren't civil liberties; they're human rights. Referring to them as civil liberties makes it sound like something far more minor than fundamental human rights.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by denizenz
You realize they've been fingerprinting people since just about the time that Ink was invented don't you?

And don't get me started on social security numbers...

My point, aren't we a little late to be upset over this?

A dusty book of 500 fingerprint sets down at the local precinct is a far cry from a federal biometrics database.
Ha Ha if the government attempted to force me to put down all my physical characteristics on a huge database they would have to knock me clean after a fight, it's completely ridiculous, as if they will use it to 'protect the borders to keep the terrorists out' WTF so how will they determine who a terrorist is from their fingerprints..
and what happens when you commit a minor offence when everybody does, but you get knocked over the head for everything becuase they know exactly who you are?
Quote by Metal-X
No.. you see when one person stays on UG for to long, then they tend to lose there minds to the Pit monkeys. And well..... just watch for yourself

Quote by Meths
You know what I hate? The phrase "civil liberties". They aren't civil liberties; they're human rights. Referring to them as civil liberties makes it sound like something far more minor than fundamental human rights.

Meths, in your opinion, from where do we derive our human rights?
Quote by Riddler
I'm going to tattoo my **** now, so when they try to strip search me I can sue for sexual harassment.

It's too crazy NOT to work.

Say hello to Guantanamo bay for me!
Besides, as we all know, terrorists don't have fingers... their arms just end in AK-47 barrels.
Quote by kaptink
Say hello to Guantanamo bay for me!

Even with the Govt. hopelessly f*cked as it is, I'm pretty sure having a tattoo on ones c*ck does not warrant a stint at Camp X-Ray
Quote by denizenz
Meths, in your opinion, from where do we derive our human rights?

An accumulation of hundreds of years of philosophy, society and civilisation?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by denizenz
So it isn't objective?

No.

Oscar Wilde
So what? They can identify you, you act like they're using this as a way to arrest anyone at any time.

Stupid anarchist wannabes, just stop.
Dickless.
Quote by denizenz
Ok, just curious of course.

So you really have nothing for your post to stand on...

I do. I was saying we should stop calling them civil liberties and start calling them human rights which is what they are. People just refer to them as civil liberties because it's not as outrageous when people take away "civil liberites" as "human rights".

Oscar Wilde
Quote by MetalMilitia212
So what? They can identify you, you act like they're using this as a way to arrest anyone at any time.

Stupid anarchist wannabes, just stop.

Seriously these threads never cease to amaze me. I suppose this would piss you off if you were planning on committing some crimes.
Quote by Doobergn
Seriously these threads never cease to amaze me. I suppose this would piss you off if you were planning on committing some crimes.

it pisses me off because it's not a way of "protecting us" as much as it's a way of controlling us.
Quote by denizenz
Ok, just curious of course.

So you really have nothing for your post to stand on...

Objective or not, it can't be denied they should be there; and should stand for something. Merely because morals are subjective doesn't mean they shouldn't apply.

But then, it wouldn't surprise me if you declared complete nihilism just for the sake of argument.
Doesn't phase me. There's probably a lot more than that out there that we don't know about.
I actually agree with this. I don't really see it as anything close to Orwellian, they aren't watching us all the time or anything, or controlling what we do, this is merely another way to help capture people. Think about it, some fingerprints or something are at a crime scene, but they aren't on file, so no help, thanks to this they would be.

Seems like a good thing to me. Somebody please correct me if I've got some facts wrong or anything.
I'm sorry to be such a wannabe anarchist but it's wrong to be tracked and watched. I understand a computer database of finger prints, which is fine with me. If I'm going to be stopped from flying a plane or my every move is being watched, there's something wrong.
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
Quote by Joe-Fish
I'm sorry to be such a wannabe anarchist but it's wrong to be tracked and watched. I understand a computer database of finger prints, which is fine with me. If I'm going to be stopped from flying a plane or my every move is being watched, there's something wrong.

How is your every move being watched? They're getting retina scans and tattoo identification, they're not planting cameras on every corner, numbnuts.
Dickless.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it pisses me off because it's not a way of "protecting us" as much as it's a way of controlling us.

in what way? they aren't doing a full-on documentation of the entire population. If you get arrested by the FBI, they fingerprint you, document your tattoos and take pictures of your face. Same thing they've pretty much always done.

and since I don't plan on starting up racketeering organizations anytime soon, I don't care.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
How is your every move being watched? They're getting retina scans and tattoo identification, they're not planting cameras on every corner, numbnuts.

It's a step by step process. Once they have you on a computer database, They will be able to deny you of certain things for a criminal record if they feel suspicious of you, such as getting on a plane.
Quote by Joe-Fish
It's a step by step process. Once they have you on a computer database, They will be able to deny you of certain things for a criminal record if they feel suspicious of you, such as getting on a plane.

Yeah if you commit a federal crime or are a suspected terrorist they aren't gonna deny some average citizen with no criminal record the chance to get on a plane.
Quote by Doobergn
Yeah if you commit a federal crime or are a suspected terrorist they aren't gonna deny some average citizen with no criminal record the chance to get on a plane.

I never said that, did I?

The same as if they feel suspicious of you, they have the right to go through your emails and track you. There's still plenty of problems with the database as well.
Quote by Meths
I do. I was saying we should stop calling them civil liberties and start calling them human rights which is what they are. People just refer to them as civil liberties because it's not as outrageous when people take away "civil liberites" as "human rights".

But how can you say anything is a human right if there is no objective source of human rights? It would make more sense that they be referred to as civil liberties since they are derived from society alone.
It's not right and I get increasingly pissed off with every reply of "Stupid anarchist wannabes" etc.

Due to the amount of kids seen as going through rebellious phases, the new trendy thing is to be conservative, ever trusting and viewing anyone who doesn't agree with what is happening in their government as being a rebellious teen poseur. It is ****ing rife in these forums aswell.
Quote by denizenz
But how can you say anything is a human right if there is no objective source of human rights? It would make more sense that they be referred to as civil liberties since they are derived from society alone.

well title wise yes it makes more sense, but the using the phrase "rights" has more of a sense of sacred-ness to them showing them for what they truly are.

no one should have control over human rights, and phrasing them as civil liberties only makes them seem less important
Quote by DanRev
It's not right and I get increasingly pissed off with every reply of "Stupid anarchist wannabes" etc.

Due to the amount of kids seen as going through rebellious phases, the new trendy thing is to be conservative, ever trusting and viewing anyone who doesn't agree with what is happening in their government as being a rebellious teen poseur. It is ****ing rife in these forums aswell.

Comment when you live in America. This doesn't really pertain to you.
Quote by DanRev

its not a phase man, its life, if you genuinly have different views ur viewed as an outsider, a trouble maker

example, christians call those with no religous beliefs heathens, which gives them a negative aura about them when seen by other christians (remember its only an example and can be used in different cases, im not trying to start a religous discussion, though itd be nice in a different thread)
Quote by Meths

Agreed.
Page 1 of 2