So I'm nearing my target of £550 faster and faster everyday, and I'm looking for a new bass. I'm being influenced by Rush more and more these days, and I'm looking for a growling tone in my new bass a bit like that of Geddy Lee's.

I've been looking at this bass and I was wondering if I could get the tone I'm looking for with it. If anyone is interested I am playing through a Crate BT50 (please don't say to get a new amp first, because I'm not in the need for a new amp right now, and if I was going to get a new amp it would be a Carvin half stack, and my parents won't let me get an amp of that size just yet).

Thanks for your time,

Fleajr_1412
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Should do it pretty well, would you not be interested on an ampeg ba or ashdown mag instead of the half stack? There cheaper and bloody brilliant

Oh and im not saying dont get the bass its a good choice i think but just for future referance
I'd rather get a Carvin over an Ampeg or an Ashdown. The Carvin would be much cheaper than an Ampeg and a bit more versatile and would be more versatile than an Ashdown, basically I would get more for less with Carvin.
Quote by skater dan0
^They're no cheaper and Ampeg combos are absolutely unsavoury. The MAGs are also not of the quality of a Carvin. Anyway, TS, can't you just lie to your parents? Tell them it's like, 100 watts or something? If you're looking for a raunchy tone 1) it's in the EQ and 2) it's all about the active pickups and electronics.
I would tell them its much less but my Crate is only 50 watts and they tell me turn that down when the volume is only on 2.

I realize that it's all in the EQ but my bass just won't cut it at the moment because of the crappy electronics and all that (it's a jazz bass copy BTW).

Jazz, you say that its all about active pick ups and electronics and yet Geddy's bass is passive?
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^They're no cheaper and Ampeg combos are absolutely unsavoury. The MAGs are also not of the quality of a Carvin. Anyway, TS, can't you just lie to your parents? Tell them it's like, 100 watts or something? If you're looking for a raunchy tone 1) it's in the EQ and 2) it's all about the active pickups and electronics.

yes geddy lee's growl comes from an active bass

oh well beaten to it
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I didn't know he uses the Sansamp, I was actually going to buy one after I get my new bass so I guess it would help me.

And by raunchy I mean the tone Geddy gets when he does his solos in "driven" and "leave that thing alone".
Quote by skater dan0
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, yeah, just because I skim threads and don't read every word all of a sudden I'm the bad guy.

indeed you are, you evil little man
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Wikipedia says...

At the beginning of the 2002 Vapor trails tour, Lee revised his previous setup. His bass signal is sent via a Samson wireless unit to an Avalon U5 DI. From there it is split between a Trace Elliot Quadravalve all-tube power amplifier and a SansAmp RBI rackmountable preamp. The speaker-level signal from the Quadravalve is sent to a Palmer PD-05 speaker emulator, which provides adequate load for the tube amplifier and attenuates the signal down to line level. The signals from the U5, Quadraverb/PD-05, and RBI are all sent to the monitor and front-of-house mixers and blends of the signals are changed on a song-by-song basis. Typically the Quadravalve/PD-05 signal makes up the low end while a balance of the U5 and RBI make up the high end, with the RBI providing the "top end" distortion in Lee's sound.

For the 2007 Snakes and Arrows tour, Lee swapped the SansAmp RBI for a new unit by Sansamp, the RPM. During preparation for this tour a feature on bassplayer.tv with his live bass tech, Russ Ryan, was filmed which detailed Lee's live signal path.
Everyone goes on and on about Geddy Lee's tone - it's dead simple to recreate. Get fresh Rotosounds. EQ out some ~150Hz and dial in some 2kHz. Get a Jazz bass, put both pickups on. Get some slight bass OVERDRIVE (none of this distortion/fuzz bull****, thankyouverymuch). Play at the bridge. Play HARD. Done.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Everyone goes on and on about Geddy Lee's tone - it's dead simple to recreate. Get fresh Rotosounds. EQ out some ~150Hz and dial in some 2kHz. Get a Jazz bass, put both pickups on. Get some slight bass OVERDRIVE (none of this distortion/fuzz bull****, thankyouverymuch). Play at the bridge. Play HARD. Done.

His old school jazz tone maybe, you won't get the Rush in rio or R30 tone that easily.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Forcemaster
His old school jazz tone maybe, you won't get the Rush in rio or R30 tone that easily.

Well, his "old school Jazz tone" is the tone he's been using from 1993 until now. Trust me - you'll get the sound easily enough. Other than the Jazz tone, his current tone, you can't get a Wal tone and a Ric tone out of any instrument other than a Wal and a Ric.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Speaking of "Raunchy, Growling" tones, and Overdrive & thefitz.

**Sorry to hi-jack** Is the Digitech Bass Driver good for getting adding a 'Crunchy & Growly' tone to ones signal? Because I seen that it has a "Blend" type knob & I wasn't happy with the Ibby PD7 because of the lack of such a feature.

I know everyone recs the Fulltone, but as far as less expensive, versatile Bass Overdrives go - how does the Digitech compare to other cheaper Bass pedals?

Thanks
The Digitechs a good first overdrive pedal, the models on it are KINDA accurate.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Speaking of "Raunchy, Growling" tones, and Overdrive & thefitz.

**Sorry to hi-jack** Is the Digitech Bass Driver good for getting adding a 'Crunchy & Growly' tone to ones signal? Because I seen that it has a "Blend" type knob & I wasn't happy with the Ibby PD7 because of the lack of such a feature.

I know everyone recs the Fulltone, but as far as less expensive, versatile Bass Overdrives go - how does the Digitech compare to other cheaper Bass pedals?

Thanks

The Digitech is really a modern bass distortion with modern features, whereas the Fulltone is basically the front end of a tube amp if you think of it that way. The Bass Driver does have some subtle modes, yes. You might want to take it easy on the blend if you want that tone. I thought of it as the lower the morph, the lower the blend.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
ok you should seriously look at used places. you can get stuff just of 2-3x the quality for the price you get new.

places to look.

Craiglist
Talkbass.com
used.guitarcenter.com
ebay

i got my amp used and i am soo glad i did i got a $3000 rig for about $1700 alltogether.

did you look at the geddy lee signature? it is a wonderfull bass and if you like geddy's tone it's a good place to start. you still wont be able to "copy" him just with this bass tho. so haveing this bass wont make you look like a copycat. it's one of the only ways to get a fender stock with a Badass2 and duncans. also the neck is super thin, probably thinner than an ibanez SR neck.

also a rickenbacker has a pretty "raunchy tone"

umm ... you could also add some agressiveness by buying a tech21 bassdriver DI or a MXR_M80
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Actually, my ibanez SR can have a really raunchy tone if I let it off it's leash.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
oh i'm suprised nobody mentioned warwick .... oh well
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by thefitz
Well, his "old school Jazz tone" is the tone he's been using from 1993 until now. Trust me - you'll get the sound easily enough. Other than the Jazz tone, his current tone, you can't get a Wal tone and a Ric tone out of any instrument other than a Wal and a Ric.

By old school sound I mean moving pictures/permanent waves era jazz sounds, like on limelight. Though ironically that album was done with jazz and a ric, and is very hard to tell the difference so neh :P
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by Emergancy Exit
oh i'm suprised nobody mentioned warwick .... oh well

I was originally thinking a warwick but when I tried it out it didn't really get the distorted, growly tone I was looking for. But it's still gonna be the next bass I'll buy after this one.
Quote by skater dan0
Ok, might have to bump this up with some follow up stuff.

Quote by thefitz
The Digitech is really a modern bass distortion with modern features, whereas the Fulltone is basically the front end of a tube amp if you think of it that way. The Bass Driver does have some subtle modes, yes. You might want to take it easy on the blend if you want that tone. I thought of it as the lower the morph, the lower the blend.

Ok thanks, fitz. Um so can the Digitech go all-out Distortion or does it just go all muddy/fuzz ? Like if you played around with the Bass/Amp EQ & used the Bridge Pick-Up etc would it have a real Crushing Tone?

Also, slightly related, what is a known Bass AMP (either brand or model) that is particularly "Growly"? And what about 10" Vs 12"?? (I've got a 15" Speaker at the moment, but a very sterile/bland sounding Amp )

Thanks
The Digitech gives you it all, really. From slight growls to all out buzz nightmares.

12's are definitely, 110% more growly, present, and louder sounding, and that's why I love them so much. However, they might be a bit "too growly" for some - and they're as loud as hell when the distortion is on, even if the distortion is pumping out the same signal volume as the clean signal.

And, in my opinion, a good amp should be whatever it wants to be.

Again, boost 500Hz and get a slight overdrive, and you should be set. However, soloing the bridge pickup is a bit too harsh for me - Geddy plays with both on, but he plays near the bridge pickup. Do that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102