I am looking into playing at some local coffee shops and some laid-back clubs. All I have now is a tiny practice amp. I know that I should try out a lot of amps before I buy any, but that only tells me about tone. I am on a budget of no more than 350 dollars, and I need something durable. Could anyone point me in the direction of some different durable and cheap amps that don't sound like crap? I know that I definitely want a solid-state combo amp.
well with 350 it wont go far. But go on up to 400 dollars and get the VOX valvetronix if you just must have solid state. I always think solid states are better practice amps for sure but not better gigging amps but it make work for your situation. What kind of music you play?
Quote by PoorCollegeKid
I am looking into playing at some local coffee shops and some laid-back clubs. All I have now is a tiny practice amp. I know that I should try out a lot of amps before I buy any, but that only tells me about tone. I am on a budget of no more than 350 dollars, and I need something durable. Could anyone point me in the direction of some different durable and cheap amps that don't sound like crap? I know that I definitely want a solid-state combo amp.

whts is it for amplifiing? is it for acoustic guitar miced up? it is fior an electric is it for a bass, is it gonna be miced up after as well, how loud does it need to be? we need mroe ifno man!
What types of music do you like, because that makes a difference in amps.

Also, are you sure you don't want tube? If you go used you could get a tube combo, and I'd say that tubes aren't as delicate as everyone makes them out to be; so long as you don't drop it it should work fine, and dropping a SS amp isn't a good idea either!
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
I play slower rock with either light distortion or none on electric guitar. I guess I could go for a tube amp, but I've just heard they're less durable. It is not going to be miced up afterward. If I go above 350, I'd have to wait another month, and 350 is about 2 months away right now.
Last edited by PoorCollegeKid at Feb 4, 2008,
i'd probably get a palomino v32
i think thats in your price range
or i would get a peavey classic 30
possibly used
both are tube amps tho
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
If you must go solid state be sure and try out the Peavey Transtubes. Good sounding, loud and durable. I've had my Peavey Backstage Plus since 1984.
I am in the same boat. I have been playing for around 2 years. I am looking to gig in a few months. I play mostly classic rock (60's-80's), folk, country, and jazz. I will be playing in coffee shops to small clubs, to medium-size clubs and restaurants. The band we are making has a trombone, a keyboard, lead, rythm, bass, possibly a drummer (we're looking).

I have been doing research on my own. I have narrowed it down to a final few...

The Crate and Palomino V-series (tube) look promising. Only thing is I don't want to cart around 40 or 50 lbs. everywhere. Also not too many with footswitches.

I want something footswtchable channels. Overdrive ON/OFF.
3-band EQ, Volume, and Reverb. tube obviously, and something like 35lbs. or less.

oh yeah, and 30-50 Watts.

What other brands would you suggest?
Last edited by neptune1988 at Feb 4, 2008,
Thanks for the responses so far. I will usually be singing and playing with a bass player and a drummer on an acoustic set, fyi.
Palomino
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
wait for the new 7-15 watt blackheart to come out. It will surely be the poor mans tiny terror.
Quote by uldhppi
If you must go solid state be sure and try out the Peavey Transtubes. Good sounding, loud and durable. I've had my Peavey Backstage Plus since 1984.

Yeah, My 110 is 40 watts and more then enough for gigs. I paid $300 new. Great sounding and versatile.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Seriously, you'll be fine with 5-15w in small coffee shops. I'd say a Fender Pro Jr. would be perfect if you add a good OD pedal for your light distortion sounds, or if you want an EQ and reverb, go for the Blues Jr. which is a bit more expensive, but not hard to find for under $300 used.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by PoorCollegeKid
I play slower rock with either light distortion or none on electric guitar. I guess I could go for a tube amp, but I've just heard they're less durable.

You've heard wrong. There's no durability problems with a quality tube amp. In fact, if something goes wrong with a tube amp, it's usually a tube. Easy to fix at home. If not, there are many amp techs who work on tube amps, almost none who work on SS amps, though. So you break a SS amp, it's pretty much reduced to garbage.

Quote by Sid McCall
Seriously, you'll be fine with 5-15w in small coffee shops. I'd say a Fender Pro Jr. would be perfect if you add a good OD pedal for your light distortion sounds

That was to be my suggestion. Beautiful sounding, clean amp, plenty of power for coffee shops. I think it'd be perfect for you. A used Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Hot Rod might be in order if you feel you need a little more power. Doesn't sound like you need it, though.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
yeh man i would say that you dont need anymore than 15-30 watts if its getting miced and in a coffe shop its more than enough! i have done band pratcises with drums and a bass with a 30watt marshell solid state, and you can pick them up for around £115 but u can get a much nicer one for 300bucks ! 300bucks will get you and very nice amp