Hey guys,
Pretty soon i'm going to be giving lessons to these two kids. one is 10 and the other is 5. it is my first time teaching and i dont know how to pace the lessons. also, the mother wants me to do like a double lesson with both kids.

basiccly what im asking...

What should i start with?
What books should i use for them at first?
how much should i charge?

thanks a lot guys
Originally posted by skeptopotamus
Well, me and my lab of expert scienticians have created an ingenius device that will capture one's flatulence and transport it to a nearby foe's rectum, thus attributing any foul odors towards your enemies, mblavin.
I start with the basics: how to hold a guitar, how to hold a pick, and basic picking motor skills.
book: mel bay guitar method grade 1.
I charge $15 per lesson.

hope that helps.
Main Rig: ' 62 Reissue Strat, Crybaby Classic, Big Muff, Small Stone, Small Clone, Stereo Pulsar, Deluxe Memory Man, Hot Rod Deluxe (heavily modded w/ Jensen C12K speaker). Martin D-16gt. Deering Goodtime 2.
ok first, don't do the double lesson thing!
each kid is independant and needs to be tought seperatly so they can learn/grow at their own pace.
if you are looking to just get them introduced with basic notes/chords, hal lenards book 1 for beginners is a good beginners book, but with no tabs.

idk for the pay. where i 'work' it's $15 per half hour but thats kind of a lot, so i say $10 a lesson, $20 in all. just my input and experience. hope this helps.

along with the guy above me said, if they know nothing about the guitar at all.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by kstebor
I start with the basics: how to hold a guitar, how to hold a pick, and basic picking motor skills.
book: mel bay guitar method grade 1.
I charge $15 per lesson.

hope that helps.

+1

i would also teach them how to tune and restring a guitar somewhere. assuming they know nothing about the guitar
song stuck in my head today

I would usually start with like open chords and stuff, but if one of the kids is 5, he won't be able to even finger them, so I'd start with basic stuff (like said above, how to hold a guitar/pick) and then move on to some simple single note melodies.

EDIT: Also, just begin to explain how notes are arranged and stuff, like explain the notes in an octave and how letters are associated with pitches (G#/Ab, A, A#/Bb, B... etc.)
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
Last edited by OThugSd at Feb 4, 2008,
lessons are usually about 20$ half hour, depends how good you are what you should ask.
i would start off teachin them how to hold everything properly and then maybe a couple chords. and move pretty damn slowly from there, considering their age you probably dont need to teach them theory....does the mom want that?
Quote by mosh_face
lessons are usually about 20$ half hour, depends how good you are what you should ask.
i would start off teachin them how to hold everything properly and then maybe a couple chords. and move pretty damn slowly from there, considering their age you probably dont need to teach them theory....does the mom want that?

i would say more than likely she want them to learn all aspects. obviously not to indepth in the beginniing but music teacher teaches music.

when i started i was taught ode to joy. like a classical lesson only notes and what not
song stuck in my head today

5 is really to young to play guitar man there hands and fingers are just to small but id teach the 10 year old some theory u should teach him a really easy song so he can say he can play a song and stays motivated
I've just started teaching a 9 year old student - basically at the moment I'm teaching him how to tune his guitar, the names of the notes (and which string is which), and some basic songs to keep him interested.
It depends on the student really - I give a free first lesson so I can get to know what (if anything) I can teach a student. And it's a good marketing thing too...