Just curios to know which one is better since i have heard that the anvenger is slighty heavier sounding due to it being single channel but then on the other hand ive heard the SLO has actually more gain to it

I play Metal but i do also go into all styles but I want great distortion and tone, i see everyone with a Krank Or 5150 and tbh i just wanna have a different sound to everyone

Plus any ideas on what would be a good cab?

p.s. I own a JCM2000 TSL100 (its ok but just lacks that extra kick in the nuts punch for my taste)
The SLO and Avenger have the same overdrive circuitry. Being a single channel amp does not make it have more gain.

The SLO is clearly better because it's the exact same thing as the Avenger, just with a clean channel and an effects loop. Soldano made the Avenger for people wanting Soldano overdrive at a smaller cost than the SLO.

SLO = Easily in the top 5 amps in the world.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
oh right cool, just i think it was the harmony review it was on about it havin a "darker Crunch to it" since its less "complicated circuitary" i guess that was just to make it look better than it is lol. not sayin its **** cus if i got one id cry LOL
I have not played an Avenger, but I've owned an SLO 100 for a while. The overdrive circuits are identical, in that they are spec'd the same. The SLO uses lifetime warranty/military spec hardware, including DeYoung output transformers. That's why the SLO costs twice as much. And yes, it sounds incredible til you make a mistake. Very unforgiving of poor technique.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Doodleface
The SLO and Avenger have the same overdrive circuitry. Being a single channel amp does not make it have more gain.

The SLO is clearly better because it's the exact same thing as the Avenger, just with a clean channel and an effects loop. Soldano made the Avenger for people wanting Soldano overdrive at a smaller cost than the SLO.

SLO = Easily in the top 5 amps in the world.

The SLO has only one channel and uses way better components.
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01

The SLO has two channels, Normal and Overdrive, each with independent preamp and master volume controls
Quote by LeeSmellyFinger
oh right cool, just i think it was the harmony review it was on about it havin a "darker Crunch to it" since its less "complicated circuitary" i guess that was just to make it look better than it is lol. not sayin its **** cus if i got one id cry LOL

Here's a tip for life: Never EVER take Harmony Central reviews seriously.
Quote by RHCPfan01

2 footswitchable channels, normal & overdrive. The normal channel has settings for clean & crunch, so actually it has 3 voicings, with a normal/bright switch for the non-OD voicings.
Edit:^^What Lee said!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by ausmud
Here's a tip for life: Never EVER take Harmony Central reviews seriously.

There better than the reviews on UG
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I called Soldano & asked them about any sound/tonal differences between the Avenger, Decatone, & SLO. They said that the OD circuits are in fact the same, but due to differences in component quality, the SLO has just a bit more dynamics to it. They said if you played an Avenger or Decatone one day, & then played an SLO the next day, you would never notice any difference at all, but if you played them side by side, the SLO is a touch beefier.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

yeah the SLO sounds better all around, plus it has a (very good) clean channel, but the Avenger is still a very good amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Doodleface
There better than the reviews on UG

yeah, but better than "total crap" is often still "crap".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, but better than "total crap" is often still "crap".

You never know if the reviews anywhere online (besides our own beloved spam) are done by the very companies being reviewed. As a company, if I was selling some product, I'd post positive reviews about my stuff everywhere. Heck, I'd hire people to do it! That's the chance you take listening to online product reviews. Caveat emptor.
That's Latin. Look it up!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

^

it's not even that (though it's definitely a valid concern). a lot of the reviews are posted by people who have barely opened the box...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by riffhog
...if you played an Avenger or Decatone one day, & then played an SLO the next day, you would never notice any difference at all, but if you played them side by side, the SLO is a touch beefier.

This man speaks the utmost truth. Side by side versus my Decatone, the SLO I played carried the harmonics a bit better and was much easier to dial in. I ended up with the Decatone because of the versatility over the SLO. The Avenger sounds a bit tighter, but this is generally attributed to the shorter simpler circuit run.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
This man speaks the utmost truth. Side by side versus my Decatone, the SLO I played carried the harmonics a bit better and was much easier to dial in. I ended up with the Decatone because of the versatility over the SLO. The Avenger sounds a bit tighter, but this is generally attributed to the shorter simpler circuit run.

It's funny. I was about to order a new Decatone from Soldano (for the same reason you stated), & just happened to find a purple 2002 SLO in perfect condition for $2400 US on ebay (less $$$ than a new Deca). I couldn't pass up the lifetime warranty! Sometimes I regret sacrificing versatility, but I get over it pretty quick!
Every time I think of selling the SLO to get something more versatile, I have a great practice day w/ the thing cranked, & then slap myself for considering it. I'll just have to work & save more, but it'll take forever to get that Cornford RK100!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Interesting. I went shopping with the intention of getting an SLO and ended up with a Decatone. I really can't survive without at least 3 channels anymore and I don't want to have to deal with the drama associated with two amps. I really can't afford to spend the $4000 or so it would take to build a suitable Midi switching system around my rig plus however much a suitable second head would cost when I can just buy a head with three channels in the first place. I keep thinking that I'll sell the Decatone and get a VH4, but every time I play on a VH4 I like the Decatone a little bit more. I do think I'm going to get a Traynor YCS100 for use as a backup (three channels, sounds pretty good, and the layout is similar enough to the Decatone to where I wouldn't even have to rerun any cables).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
Interesting. I went shopping with the intention of getting an SLO and ended up with a Decatone. I really can't survive without at least 3 channels anymore and I don't want to have to deal with the drama associated with two amps. I really can't afford to spend the $4000 or so it would take to build a suitable Midi switching system around my rig plus however much a suitable second head would cost when I can just buy a head with three channels in the first place. I keep thinking that I'll sell the Decatone and get a VH4, but every time I play on a VH4 I like the Decatone a little bit more. I do think I'm going to get a Traynor YCS100 for use as a backup (three channels, sounds pretty good, and the layout is similar enough to the Decatone to where I wouldn't even have to rerun any cables).

Yeah, I think the Soldanos just sound a bit more "live" than the Diezels in general.
Now I have to check out that Traynor if I ever see one!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard