Hey guys.
Sorry I really didn't have a clue where to put this but "Musician Talk" seemed to make more sense than anywhere else.
Basically the other guitarist in my band is a very good guitarist........however, he doesn't seem to have grasped the concept of song order, and sometimes timing. I literally just got home from a gig and he messed up the first song REALLY badly, and also our cover of GNR - It's So Easy (after the first solo he went into the bridge instead of carrying on with the verse). So anyway how can I tell him that his timing/song order skills pretty much suck without sounding like a complete twat (he's my best mate aswell so I don't wanna cause any bad blood you know).
I am sure allot of you have been in this same situation hence my asking on here.
Cheers.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
'Bandleading' subforum is the place to ask

reported
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Reported for not knowing where to post something lol. Jesus christ mate get a life. We don't all live on a forum..........you can report that.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
i think he reported you for having TWO marshall MGs.
hahahaha
just kidding
I reported the thread, not you. And I told you where to get better help than a place where people talk about music theory. You won't get a warning if that's what you're upset about.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by sethp
i think he reported you for having TWO marshall MGs.
hahahaha
just kidding

lol I wouldn't blame him for that. Though the 15 aint been used for 2 years and the halfstack for 6 months, aswell as being up for sale. Plus I have a JCM to compensate
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I reported the thread, not you. And I told you where to get better help than a place where people talk about music theory. You won't get a warning if that's what you're upset about.

No worries then dude. Just I have never in my whole time on UG even looked at this section of the forum so I didn't have a clue. No hard feelings eh.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
This is where live recordings come in handy.
Make a live recording of your next gig, it doesn't have to be great quality or anything, just good enough so you can all hear your own parts, then when you're all sitting around listening to it, it'll be abso-bloody-lutely obvious who's f**king up and where, and you probably won't even have to say a word. His own embarrasment should make him buck his ideas up a bit and learn the set properly.
You should notice a marked improvement from then on.
If this doesn't work, make another gig recording and as a band, (this is important, any confronting should be done as a band. If one person is chosen to do the confronting, then it just makes that person look like a mean, petty, bastard.) confront him with it. Don't be pissy about it, just say 'There were a lot of mistakes made at this gig so we think we should work through these mistakes at the next practice.
Then, next practice, concentrate just on where the mistakes were made and this should help to resolve the problem.
mistakes happen at shows, that's just the way it is.

but the question is, does he make all the same mistakes during practise as well? forgetting song order ect.

personally, if i don't get a ton of practise in (by myself as well with the band), i will forget song orders. some people need less practise than i do, but that's the way it goes.

aswell i don't do a show until i know each song forwards and backwards, and i can do it in my sleep-and that's just a matter of personal pride as a musician.

oneway i help myself along, is to record the songs as a band, this way everyone can go home and practise listen to it by themselves if they wish.
Cream fan club member #11.
The two post above have great info.

During practice stop everything if he screws up and nicely say "dude you missed that part" Keep it up and if he doesnt get it hes not as good as you think he is. Or he just doesnt care about the music and thats probably worse.

Basically dont spend months on someone who cant get things right.
Last edited by v8ko at Feb 9, 2008,