I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to buying a good computer for recording, and wont get really slow after a couple of months.
I was looking at an iMac.
An iMac should do fine, just make sure the software/hardware you have/plan on using is Mac compatible in its drivers and such. Most current iMac's will be more than fast enough to run most audio task, but make sure you have PLENTY of RAM. I recommend 3GB, the more the better. If you need portability, a Macbook Pro fits the bill as well.
3GB? For recording and even multitasking, 1GB should be enough. An Imac would be great, especially with Garage Band. If you experience a lot of lag, upgrade to 2GB. Ram is cheap these days
uhh... if i get a 1GB... how do I upgrade to 2 or 3 GB?
and how much would it be?
and if i do get the mac, should i buy the logic express pre-installed for the extra 200?
or is it pretty much useless?
I find 1GB is hardly enough, especially for recording and other DAW purposes. You'll start to run out of RAM even faster if you begin to implement VST and VSTi applications, and multiple isntances of them. Pile on a song with numerous tracks and you'll be wishing you had that extra 1-2GB of headroom 3GB will give you. I recommend 2 at minimum.

You can get by with 1 if you are doing very simple record and playback operations without many tracks, effects, or anything else operating on the computer.
Quote by MrPillow
I find 1GB is hardly enough, especially for recording and other DAW purposes. You'll start to run out of RAM even faster if you begin to implement VST and VSTi applications, and multiple isntances of them. Pile on a song with numerous tracks and you'll be wishing you had that extra 1-2GB of headroom 3GB will give you. I recommend 2 at minimum.

You can get by with 1 if you are doing very simple record and playback operations without many tracks, effects, or anything else operating on the computer.

I think I might just go for 2GB.
The only options are 1GB[standard] 2GB [+150$] or 4GB[+700$] and I dont have enough money to get the mac and a recording interface with an extra 700 tagged on
is buying the Logic Express pre-installed worth it? or am i bettor off saving and getting logic pro?
What ar you intending to do? Just record your guitar? Record a whole band? etc?
My Imac has 1 gig - I record my guitar (using drum & bass loops) in Logic Pro - works great - I am going to be upgrading ram shortly but so far 1-gig has worked...
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Like I said, 1GB is fine if you only do simple recording with limited effects and tracks.
Quote by MrPillow
Like I said, 1GB is fine if you only do simple recording with limited effects and tracks.

I disagree. I know RAM is important, but I use 1GB of RAM with lots of effects and tracks and find few limitations. I would prefer to have more, and would recommend it, but it's not so essential.

I would consider the quality and speed of the CPU to be a greater issue.
There is poetry in despair.