alright here's the deal, in about 2 months i'll have ~1200 USD for a guitar, i was thinking about dean's import soltero, but i've always wanted a strat. coincidentally, the les paul shape and strat shape are both my favorites, but all of my favorite bands use humbuckers, and about half of them use mahogany guitars, i'm not worried about the alder, as i find it can do that tone just fine with some EQ, but one of my top favorite tones is Iron maiden, SO, with that in mind, i've been offered an american SSS strat in candy apple red with maple board and neck, an absolutely beautiful guitar, for 750, like new. i don't use the tremolo alot, but i like to add vibrato and slight dives to some things, would a strat be a good choice? or would i be better off looking elsewhere? i have played many, and i'm on the fence, i just need some opinions. thanks guys, and sorry for the long and confusing post
how about a HSS strat ?
Se habla español

Quote by pinheadslts75
People come up with the dumbest names for sexual acts. And the most disgusting concepts for sexual acts.

I'm tempted to report this thread because of how weird this is getting.

I saw x/taluha get her clock
I say go for it. If you like it that much, and can get it that cheap. Then you can't go wrong.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I'd say go for it. That's a steal for an American Strat. Plus, I consider Strats the ultimate mod guitars. Don't like single coils? Swap them for humbuckers. Want to do crazy dive bombs or dime squeals? Get a floyd. Don't like the neck? That's alright, swap it!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
i was thinking about that, if it's not routed for it i could always route it for HSS, seeing as the pickguard would cover it, and the guitar's comfortable to play, and i agree with you a 110% H4T3BR33D3R, you can make a strat anything lol, thanks for the input guys, hopefully i'll add that strat to the stable in a short time, thanks
Quote by Chad11491
i was thinking about that, if it's not routed for it i could always route it for HSS, seeing as the pickguard would cover it, and the guitar's comfortable to play, and i agree with you a 110% H4T3BR33D3R, you can make a strat anything lol, thanks for the input guys, hopefully i'll add that strat to the stable in a short time, thanks

Cheers! Good luck!
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
You said you would have a budget of $1200, in that case I think you should at least try out the new 2008 American Standard. I played one this past weekend and everything about it blew me away. IMO there is not a better guitar anywhere near the same price.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by athlete1
watch the quality on it.quality control blows with fender.

Not entirely. The MIA strats are built pretty well, and there are hardly any lemons.
High as tits
buy the strat...however that isnt that great of a deal, where you HAVE TO BUY IT. Guitar Center sells used MIA strats for that price. You can get a good MIA strat on Craigslist for under $500 in Los Angeles.

If anyone ever pays close to a grand for a strat, it because they are either misinformed.....or just LOVE that Blackie or John Mayer strat, retarted, dont care about money, etc. Warranty? Puleez

with your $1200, you can get an awesome MIA strat, a new amp, pickups of your choice.....and stilll have about $200 left over. DOnt buy a 2008 strat for $1200.

No way in hell the 2008 is any different from my 1988 strat.....unless youre talking the S1 switching system.....which you dont need anyway.

THat being said, Strats are mod-able, no doubt. But, if you want to swith cout for a humbucker, you are looking at cutting, sanding, and taking weight away from the body, unless you are taling about single coil "humbuckers", like the Noiseless, or Seymour Duncan makes them too.
You already have an RG, and a schecter....both have 2 humnbuckers.....so whats your problem? Get a SSS Strat, the way it is supposed to be.
american deluxe hss strat, buy one, thank me later.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by richgray5
buy the strat...however that isnt that great of a deal, where you HAVE TO BUY IT. Guitar Center sells used MIA strats for that price. You can get a good MIA strat on Craigslist for under $500 in Los Angeles.

If anyone ever pays close to a grand for a strat, it because they are either misinformed.....or just LOVE that Blackie or John Mayer strat, retarted, dont care about money, etc. Warranty? Puleez

with your $1200, you can get an awesome MIA strat, a new amp, pickups of your choice.....and stilll have about $200 left over. DOnt buy a 2008 strat for $1200.

No way in hell the 2008 is any different from my 1988 strat.....unless youre talking the S1 switching system.....which you dont need anyway.

THat being said, Strats are mod-able, no doubt. But, if you want to swith cout for a humbucker, you are looking at cutting, sanding, and taking weight away from the body, unless you are taling about single coil "humbuckers", like the Noiseless, or Seymour Duncan makes them too.
You already have an RG, and a schecter....both have 2 humnbuckers.....so whats your problem? Get a SSS Strat, the way it is supposed to be.

Congratulations on being misinformed about everything.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by Schneiderman
Congratulations on being misinformed about everything.

sorry if you took it as an attack on your post....it wasnt.

everything that I said in my post is 100% accurate. dont be an a - hole
Quote by richgray5
buy the strat...however that isnt that great of a deal, where you HAVE TO BUY IT. Guitar Center sells used MIA strats for that price. You can get a good MIA strat on Craigslist for around $700.

If anyone ever pays close to a grand for a strat, it because they are either misinformed.....or just LOVE that Blackie or John Mayer strat, retarted, dont care about money, etc. Warranty? Puleez except when you buy them new, then you can play about a grand.
with your $1200, you can get an awesome MIA strat

No way in hell the 2008 is any different from my 1988 strat.....unless youre talking the S1 switching system..... and the construction and the pickups and the trem system and tuners too probably.

FIXED! I'm just playing around.

But yeah, where are you getting a MIA for under 500 bucks? That's ridiculous. I'd be happy paying 800 for one.

750 smackers is great for a MIA TS, you should jump on that one.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by richgray5

If MIA standard strats are going for under $500 in LA, this summer I'll be making a road trip out there, buying about a million of them and selling them here in NY for the more likely price of 600-900 depending on their condition.

Or it's because that is a reasonable price for an MIA strat, especially for anything above a standard. Expect to pay upwards of $1500 for a custom shop and most signature series.

A 2008 standard's sticker price is $1000, so he shouldn't be spending anywhere near $1200.

This is where you are most factually wrong. The 2008 standard strat features a whole bunch of very good upgrades, which by the way do not include S1 switching.

Swapping pickups is a simple matter of removing the old ones and soldering in the new ones, possibly having to swap or cut your pickguard for different sized pickups.

I do agree on this, I have no interest in HSS strats.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

Quote by richgray5
sorry if you took it as an attack on your post....it wasnt.

ORLY?

everything that I said in my post is 100% accurate. dont be an a - hole

I was at Pasadena Guitar Center today....Silver MIA strat, from 1997, $749. Retail. And you can STILL grind them down. It also on GC's used website......so YOU are wrong.

#2, go ahead and take your pickguard off....my strat is routed ONLY for SSS, if I wanted a humbucker, I would have to carve out a signifigant amount of wood.....so YOU are wrong again.

#3. $500 used strat, plus $200 for new pickups, $300 Peavey classic 30 = $1000, looks like you are wrong again.

just to sildify my righteousness.....go to craigslist.org, and search LA, you even said yourself you can get one for $600, so maybe I lowballed it by $100.

How many strats have you personally modified? My guess is zero.

....I do not post anything unless I have firsthand knowledge of it.....so just shut up, and leave your unneccessary comments to yourself.
Last edited by richgray5 at Feb 4, 2008,
Quote by richgray5
I was at Pasadena Guitar Center today....Silver MIA strat, from 1997, $749. Retail. And you can STILL grind them down. It also on GC's used website......so YOU are wrong.

Actually that falls directly in the price range that I suggested.

#2, go ahead and take your pickguard off....my strat is routed ONLY for SSS, if I wanted a humbucker, I would have to carve out a signifigant amount of wood.....so YOU are wrong again.

I've taken my pickguard off plenty of times and my strat came from the factory with HSS routing, like many of them do. Many others are pool routed for any pickup combination. I believe the 2008 standard line is HSH routed, they may be HSS or something else but I very highly doubt that they are SSS. The vast majority of Fender stratocaster bodies are routed to accept at least a humbucker in the bridge.

#3. $500 used strat, plus $200 for new pickups, $300 Peavey classic 30 = $1000, looks like you are wrong again.

It's easy when you make up numbers.

....I do not post anything unless I have firsthand knowledge of it.....so just shut up, and leave your unneccessary comments to yourself.

That's cute.
Quote by SG thrasher

Quote by The_Paranoia

Go Schneiderman!

wow. Schneiderman, you are truly an a-hole. I have never gotten flamed for offereing up accurate advice. If you thyink GC used prices and craigslist are teh same.......you are wrong again. GC was selling a used strat for that price....you can expect to pay less from a private seller.
Im not going ot argue with you......you think I am wrong, but I am not, but why do you really care anyway? Nothing better to do? NOt much of a life? My numbers are accurate......so, what I look for good deal for used gear? .....and how do you know how my strat is routed? Its ONLY set up for SSS!!

You are obv,. one of the forum know it alls, so do me a favor and dont comment on my posts......A- hole. and try to get laid too.
Last edited by richgray5 at Feb 5, 2008,
Quote by Chad11491
alright here's the deal, in about 2 months i'll have ~1200 USD for a guitar, i was thinking about dean's import soltero, but i've always wanted a strat. coincidentally, the les paul shape and strat shape are both my favorites, but all of my favorite bands use humbuckers, and about half of them use mahogany guitars, i'm not worried about the alder, as i find it can do that tone just fine with some EQ, but one of my top favorite tones is Iron maiden, SO, with that in mind, i've been offered an american SSS strat in candy apple red with maple board and neck, an absolutely beautiful guitar, for 750, like new. i don't use the tremolo alot, but i like to add vibrato and slight dives to some things, would a strat be a good choice? or would i be better off looking elsewhere? i have played many, and i'm on the fence, i just need some opinions. thanks guys, and sorry for the long and confusing post

If it's like new for 750 I say go for it man. Plus, candy red with maple.... NICE!
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
yes it's like new, i think it's an '06? as he's had it for a little bit. are the 2008 upgrades that noticeable? if they're worth it, i won't mind spending just a bit more for a new one, because this will hopefully be a keeper, and i'm getting a new amp at the end of the year, either a carvin legacy or V3, most likely the V3 as i've actually played one of those and it was amazing, imo. thanks for the input guys, it was a whole lot of help.
hm my friend just switched his sss strat to a hss style. no curving was nessasary. all he did was bought a new pickguard and reroute the wires.