Hey, I was on these forums earlier discussing the Line 6 Spider, but we've pretty much concluded that that's not the ebst route for me to take.

I have a GNX 300 Stompbox (modeler), and I'm looking for the best quality amp for the money.

Of the Cube 30 and the Valvetronix, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Vox.., but with the GNX3000, do I need the effects of the Vox?

Would the Crate Flexwave give me better tone than the Vox?
well no matter what you do if you get an amp with effects like a valvetronix or a line 6 no pedals will really help anything, they will mostly destroy the tone you do have. i would say go for a smaller tube combo.
Have you heard the Crate? Also, doesn't the Vox have a tube?

I only have like $250 to spend, what tube combo can I get for that price?
you should know by now that everyone is gonna tell you to ''buy a tube combo''....or ''buy a used tube combo''.......even tho every damn ''tube combo'' i play sounds like ac/dc
Quote by Rahab
you should know by now that everyone is gonna tell you to ''buy a tube combo''....or ''buy a used tube combo''.......even tho every damn ''tube combo'' i play sounds like ac/dc

Good EQing and an OD fixes that.
tbh, no i haven't heard the Crate, but judging from the general opnion on them, they're really not good. yes, the vox has a tube, and while probably makes a small difference in sound, it's nowhere near a ful tube amp in terms of sound
one tube canot compete with 5 (or less or more tubes sometimes).

Quote by Rahab

i might even sig that.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 4, 2008,
well the vox has a tube but its mostly just to give you a tube feel in the higher volume areas. i own a crate, not that one, a tube combo, but none the less i love it. but i have had bad experiences with solid state crates. and a smaller tube amp, like 15 watt, will actually be pushing about 60 watts solid state power. so they are a lot louder, whereas with the vox valve it doesnt give you that higher wattage it gives you a tube warmth. which is great but because it is digital, any digital effects you plug into it will sound horrible.
no its not the solid state that makes it sound bad, its the dsp. the dsp on the vox will make the digital signas interfer with each other. but if you buy the vox you probably wont ever need the gnx anyways. the vox does have a great tone and i would suggest them to anyone, but if you are wanting to use you gnx with it i would definately say try to find an amp without builtin digital effects.
Quote by mikel833
So, my GNX3000 will sound horrible on a solidstate, and the VOX?

On the vox, yes. It won't sound horrible on a tube combo or SS but multi fx are usually not very good in the first place. If I were you, I would sell the pedal and add that money to your amp fund. Then save for a little longer and you will soon have plenty for a very respectable tube amp.
lol, If I sell the pedal and get a tube amp.. won't I need the pedal for FX now that I got an amp without them?
Last edited by mikel833 at Feb 4, 2008,
I should make a new post as ask what the best amp is for a GNX3000.. : /
Tubes are better but while you are trying out amps demo the Peavey Transtube series.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
On the vox, yes. It won't sound horrible on a tube combo or SS but multi fx are usually not very good in the first place. If I were you, I would sell the pedal and add that money to your amp fund. Then save for a little longer and you will soon have plenty for a very respectable tube amp.

respectable tube amp!!!!!????.....you had better respect my Marshall MG boy!!!!!!.......lol
I definatly prefer the Crate Flexwave over the Vox valvetronix.

Not to mention Crate takes pedals better than just about any amp on the market. That being said, if you preferred the Vox over the Cube...well...1. I dunno what you're ears are thinking 2. The crate is a step below the cube, just above the Vox.

This is my personal metal playing opinion.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio