So I have to write a speech for English class I have to write a speech concerning a societal problem so I picked the gullibility of society and their willingness to accept anything the media tells them and was wondering if anybody knew of any really concrete examples that would help me in supporting this claim (I've looked and have several but I probably overlooked a lot of important things) or if anybody would be willing to suggest a better topic i'm all ears. Thanks
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
take an unconventioal approach... eg the war in iraq, everyone in the media critisises it but is it as unmoral as people say
Media most always over-exaggerates the affect on heavy metal music on the brains of murders. For example, on my news a little bit ago, guy murdered someone, and the newscaster lady said "it is also possible that his obsession for heavy metal may have led him to kill" or something. Which is wrong, it may have played a part, but it certainly didn't contribute fully, there was something messed up with him to begin with. Media overgeneralizes heavy metal music, and people that have never heard it take the advice of the media and look down upon people who listen to that sort of music.
How about the subject of video games supposedly making people murderers? Lots of interesting info on that.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Well, I don't know the exact date, but there was British newscast way back in the day in which they reported (as an April Fool's joke) that the spaghetti harvests for the year were looking grim and that there'd be massive spaghetti shortages. They showed footage of women picking spaghetti off of trees and everything, it was fairly elaborate. Anyways, people rushed out to stockpile spaghetti before the shortage hit.
Given that spaghetti is made from dough and is not naturally occurring, I'd say that's a pretty good example.
Quote by pucci6d6
Media most always over-exaggerates the affect on heavy metal music on the brains of murders. For example, on my news a little bit ago, guy murdered someone, and the newscaster lady said "it is also possible that his obsession for heavy metal may have led him to kill" or something. Which is wrong, it may have played a part, but it certainly didn't contribute fully, there was something messed up with him to begin with. Media overgeneralizes heavy metal music, and people that have never heard it take the advice of the media and look down upon people who listen to that sort of music.

Yeah that stuff is so stupid. I usually want to kill someone UNTIL I turn on my heavy metal music.
Fast food advertising. Everyone knows fast food is absolutely terrible for you, and yet its one of the most thriving businesses to this date. A ridiculous amount of their funds go to advertising

milk it from there with law suits and statistics
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja