ok so yesterday i popped the frets off of my pbass.. before anyone says use the search button or google i just want an answer from someone who has done this before

should i use varathane(sealer) or something else to finish my fretboard or can i just leave it?
EQUIPMENT:
Squire P-bass - d'addario EXL230
Fender rumble 15
Epiphone Thunder Bird Reverse IV - Ernie ball super slinky
Vibe V-40b
Jerzey Acoustic bass - d'addario EXL190
KORG AX10B Bass Modeling signal Processor
Russian Big Muff
our bass player filled the slots with wood putty and sanded smooth. As far as finishing, thats up to you. after sanding his bass was perfectly playable and felt fantastic.
Gear:

American Strat
Epiphone Valve JR head - Volume Mod'ed
Custom 1x12 with Private Jack speaker
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss DS-2 Distortion
Boss MT-2 MetalZone
Ebow

Gretsch Acoustic
yea i did that to mine n just left the slots empty cuz im lazy lol but it had no adverse affects so whatever u wanna do is fine
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
i did it and use fiberglass resin. it gave it a smooth hard finish. i did that cuz i heard that is what Jaco did.
im just gonna give it a little more sanding and leave it then

thanks
EQUIPMENT:
Fender rumble 15
Vibe V-40b
Russian Big Muff
I have heard that it is VERY important to fill the slots.

The frets held the fretboard straight, and without being filled, the fretboard/neck is more likely to warp.

Maybe. I'm not too sure. Asking someone who really knows.

I just think it would be a good idea.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I defretted my bass and I was in a hurry, so the top 5 frets were splintered ever so slightly.

I thought the splinters were so small that they wouldn't be noticeable.. But when I filled the rosewood fretboard with pine wood putty, they're very, very, very visible.

Haha, my mistake.

I like shoddy looking things that work well though, so I'm kinda happy with it haha.
Slightly different, but i did it to my guitar
But you do have to fill the frets in or the neck will bend, especially on a bass, lots of tension.
I just used wood filler, then just stained the fretboard, because the wood filler was white, its dried a slightly different colour so you can still see the frets
But you do need to fill the frets in
and change the action on your neck, strings will probably be too far away from the fretboard with no frets.
kk will do
EQUIPMENT:
Fender rumble 15
Vibe V-40b
Russian Big Muff