Hey guys. I'm in a slight dilema. At the mo I have an Ibanez S470 which I really like, but the locking trem is annoying for alternate tunings and at the moment I am having to borrow my friends guitar for Drop-D songs at gigs (only like 2). So naturally I need to get a guitar pretty much specifically for this situation (just for gigs, at home I fiddle around with tunings all the time and would be switching between the guitars all the time based on my mood). So the opinions I'm looking for is this, on the one hand I was thinking about getting something like an Epi LP for the Drop-D tunings. Cheap and cheerful and useful for what I want........or........the other thought I had was this, I really want a JS1000, I absolutely f***ing love that guitar, and would probably end up replacing the Epi LP with it eventually anyway, and using that as my main guitar with the S470 as the Drop-D guitar.
So basically which do you reckon I should go for, save a little bit for like 2 months and get the LP and make do with that for a while, or save up for a good 5 or 6 months or so and get a guitar I'm pretty much never gonna get rid of? and just keep using my friends for a while at gigs?
I can see there be varying opinions on this with arguments for both sides so could you guys sort of give a brief explanation of the reasons for your choice.
Cheers.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Last edited by SurfinWithSatch at Feb 4, 2008,
If you're completely set on the JS1000, save. It'll certainly be worth it in the end.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by SurfinWithSatch
Hey guys. I'm in a slight dilema. At the mo I have an Ibanez S470 which I really like, but the locking trem is annoying for alternate tunings and at the moment I am having to borrow my friends guitar for Drop-D songs at gigs (only like 2). So naturally I need to get a guitar pretty much specifically for this situation (just for gigs, at home I fiddle around with tunings all the time). So the opinions I'm looking for is this, on the one hand I was thinking about getting something like an Epi LP for the Drop-D tunings. Cheap and cheerful and useful for what I want........or........the other thought I had was this, I really want a JS1000, I absolutely f***ing love that guitar, and would probably end up replacing the Epi LP with it eventually anyway, and using that as my main guitar with the S470 as the Drop-D guitar.
So basically which do you reckon I should go for, save a little bit for like 2 months and get the LP and make do with that for a while, or save up for a good 5 or 6 months or so and get a guitar I'm pretty much never gonna get rid of? and just keep using my friends for a while at gigs?
I can see there be varying opinions on this with arguments for both sides so could you guys sort of give a brief explanation of the reasons for your choice.
Cheers.

I'd say just save up. Then you don't need to waste your cash on temporary fixes.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yeah go with the latter of the two
Epiphone G-400!!!!!!!!

Washburn Bass!!!

Cordovox tube amp

Crate bass amp!!!

Kustom PA
Fair enough guys. I'll take your advice and save up for the JS rather than go for the quick fix.
In UG I trust
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
If you like the JS and want to get it anyways then save up for it. If you want an option now then look into installing a D-Tuna if it fits your trem. Automatic drop D with a few twists of the knob and back again. If its a floating which I think yours is you said then along with that install a Tremel-no. Actually, I think you can get away without a D-Tuna if you set the Tremel-no to dive only then just use the fine tuners to get into drop D and then back again. Theres a demo of it on their site.
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Well The trem I have is a ZR trem which is only (I think) on the S-model guitars so I'm not sure if I would be able to install all that. I tried using the fine tuners to drop down but it wouldn't go far enough. I aint into all that modifying trem stuff anyway coz I really like my trem the way it is so I don't fancy messing with it you know. It's just as I said a bugger for swapping tunings in gigs lol. I'll just have to use my mates LP then, and he'll have to put up with that lol.
Gear:
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by JamesCopti
NEVER EVER EVER GET AN EPIPHONE.

ever.

I don't see why not? There's nothing wrong with them.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.